Google Pixel 8/8 Pro & Pixel Watch 2

Caporegime
I think you're missing my point. Objectively Google has made hardware decisions that have resulted in an objectively worse out come. It's not my opinion that the modem is rubbish, that's the hardware. The chip getting hot is Google using their own chips instead of Qualcomm. The fingerprint scanner being optical was a Google decision, making it objectively worse than an ultrasonic scanner.

This is what I mean by Google not taking hardware as serious as Apple or Samsung. Every year there is something that Google decides to make objectively worse.

Whether these things are important or affect you is subjective.

It's because they use exynos chips to save money then market it as a 'Google chip'. Not entirely a bad thing, but it's not as efficient as current flagship Samsung/apple. Im also dubious about the ai side of the chip that they claim does special stuff.

Soldato
I'll be interested to see what the 8 Pro brings but as a 7 Pro owner, it'll be a pointless upgrade.

I'll approach phone upgrades like GPU's. They're getting expensive for not much performance/feature uplift at the price range/budget you purchased current device at, so better off skipping a generation or two.

Soldato
It's because they use exynos chips to save money then market it as a 'Google chip'. Not entirely a bad thing, but it's not as efficient as current flagship Samsung/apple. Im also dubious about the ai side of the chip that they claim does special stuff.

It's not an Exynos chip as its just off the shelf Arm cores that Google choose, and their own ISP and AI chops.

The main thing that's is Samsung about it is its made on a Samsung foundry. Switch it to TMSC and it'd makr a huge improvement in efficiency.

Soldato
But Apple holds value, so total cost of ownership needs to be considered.

True. That's if you sell it on.

I pass mine down to friends and family.

Edit: Does Apple still only provide one year warranty as standard?

As Samsung and Google provide 2 years. Let's factor that in too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have a OnePlus 7T at the moment that i've been very happy with. Considering an upgrade now, mainly for a better camera (with ideally no trade-off in current software experience). Was considering the OnePlus 11, but apparently the Pixel cameras are better, so looking at this now. I've avoided Samsung mainly because the increase in performance doesn't seem worth the cost and how happy I've been with OnePlus, but my Samsung S8 is brilliant.

I'm hoping Pixel 8 will be so awesome that it's the clear winner, but I'm not sure that'll be the case ^_^ Will miss my OnePlus warp charging though - always amazes me how quickly it gets to a decent charge.

Associate
Feeling quite conflicted, the price of the 8 pro along with the optical fingerprint scanner is putting me off a little, I’m seriously considering just getting the iPhone 15 pro instead now to replace my iPhone 13

Soldato
Have a OnePlus 7T at the moment that i've been very happy with. Considering an upgrade now, mainly for a better camera (with ideally no trade-off in current software experience). Was considering the OnePlus 11, but apparently the Pixel cameras are better, so looking at this now. I've avoided Samsung mainly because the increase in performance doesn't seem worth the cost and how happy I've been with OnePlus, but my Samsung S8 is brilliant.

I'm hoping Pixel 8 will be so awesome that it's the clear winner, but I'm not sure that'll be the case ^_^ Will miss my OnePlus warp charging though - always amazes me how quickly it gets to a decent charge.
I had a 7T the 7Pro was a noticeable upgrade and so far no issues. I found it takes about 7-10 days for the adaptive battery to kick in at which point the battery life is fine.

Soldato

Tipster @MysteryLupin has shared apparent Pixel 8 series pricing on X (h/t: Android Headlines). Starting with the vanilla Pixel 8, the 128GB model is said to cost $699, all the way up to $759 for the 256GB model.

Pixel 8 leaked pricing: $699 (128GB), $759 (256GB)
Pixel 8 Pro leaked pricing: $999 (128GB), $1059 (256GB), $1,179 (512GB)

Caporegime

Tipster @MysteryLupin has shared apparent Pixel 8 series pricing on X (h/t: Android Headlines). Starting with the vanilla Pixel 8, the 128GB model is said to cost $699, all the way up to $759 for the 256GB model.

Pixel 8 leaked pricing: $699 (128GB), $759 (256GB)
Pixel 8 Pro leaked pricing: $999 (128GB), $1059 (256GB), $1,179 (512GB)

So £1200~ for the pro in the UK?

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Feeling quite conflicted, the price of the 8 pro along with the optical fingerprint scanner is putting me off a little, I’m seriously considering just getting the iPhone 15 pro instead now to replace my iPhone 13

It depends what you value in a phone, there are always compromises and you'll weight features differently to someone else.

Associate
It depends what you value in a phone, there are always compromises and you'll weight features differently to someone else.
I was thinking of getting a pixel for the camera. The 15 pro looks to have a good camera too but no free pixel watch

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I was thinking of getting a pixel for the camera. The 15 pro looks to have a good camera too but no free pixel watch

Camera is also the biggest draw for me to the Pixel phones. Personally I'm waiting for reviews and comparisons to appear before I drop any money. I may end up going Pixel 8 or iPhone 15 regular.

Back
Top Bottom