Google Pixel 8/8 Pro & Pixel Watch 2

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Been watching this thread, not sure I'll upgrade from the 7 Pro, but the 8 looks like a good phone. Will try and catch the event later if I can.

Soldato
I've said it before, Google aren't taking hardware as serious as Apple/Samsung. There is always something that Google skimps on or cuts a corner.
Didn't you just return a iphone 15 Pro due to a hardware limitation?

Pwm? :p

All manufacturers have one problem or another. One can always cherry pick to prove their point.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Didn't you just return a iphone 15 Pro due to a hardware limitation?

Pwm? :p

All manufacturers have one problem or another. One can always cherry pick to prove their point.

That's a me issue though :D it's not like Apple decided to skimp on the screen quality and as a result I couldn't use it.

Pixel 7 for me was the average finger print scanner (no logical reason they couldn't use better hardware), the scrolling was janky, the modem was sub par and the chip got consistently hot.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's a me issue though :D it's not like Apple decided to skimp on the screen quality and as a result I couldn't use it.

Pixel 7 for me was the average finger print scanner (no logical reason they couldn't use better hardware), the scrolling was janky, the modem was sub par and the chip got consistently hot.

And for others the Pixel 7 worked as intended.

As said all phones have issues that can be cherry picked.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
And for others the Pixel 7 worked as intended.

As said all phones have issues that can be cherry picked.

I think you're missing my point. Objectively Google has made hardware decisions that have resulted in an objectively worse out come. It's not my opinion that the modem is rubbish, that's the hardware. The chip getting hot is Google using their own chips instead of Qualcomm. The fingerprint scanner being optical was a Google decision, making it objectively worse than an ultrasonic scanner.

This is what I mean by Google not taking hardware as serious as Apple or Samsung. Every year there is something that Google decides to make objectively worse.

Whether these things are important or affect you is subjective.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think you're missing my point. Objectively Google has made hardware decisions that have resulted in an objectively worse out come. It's not my opinion that the modem is rubbish, that's the hardware. The chip getting hot is Google using their own chips instead of Qualcomm. The fingerprint scanner being optical was a Google decision, making it objectively worse than an ultrasonic scanner.

This is what I mean by Google not taking hardware as serious as Apple or Samsung. Every year there is something that Google decides to make objectively worse.

My point is you're singling out Google like they're the only ones doing it. And to judge new phone before it's released is not fair.

Apple have released an £800 phone in 2023 with a 60hz screen and USB 2 speeds. A £1000 phone that has users complaining about overheating and the back cracking far too easily.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
My point is you're singling out Google like they're the only ones doing it. And to judge new phone before it's released is not fair.

Apple have released an £800 phone in 2023 with a 60hz screen and USB 2 speeds. A £1000 phone that has users complaining about overheating and the back cracking far too easily.

I was talking about the Pixel 7, I've already posted that I hope Google address these issues with the 8.

The regular 15 yes I agree it has been deliberately hamstrung by Apple to push sales of the Pro model. The overheating in the Pro is a software issue that is being patched and the back glass cracking isn't from regular use, unless you regularly do bend tests with your thumb jammed into the back glass.

Soldato
I was talking about the Pixel 7, I've already posted that I hope Google address these issues with the 8.

The regular 15 yes I agree it has been deliberately hamstrung by Apple to push sales of the Pro model. The overheating in the Pro is a software issue that is being patched and the back glass cracking isn't from regular use, unless you regularly do bend tests with your thumb jammed into the back glass.
they should simply do a sit on it in rear pocket.
if it wont crack, all good

Soldato
Everything has been leaked, I am pretty sure I am going to pull the trigger tomorrow. I would have done on the 7 had it been a bit smaller.

Still wish we would get past this 'glass is premium' state and just whack a resin back on these phones. Make it a bit lighter and 50% less to crack when you drop it :D

What we are yet to learn is how **** the modem is and if the chip gets hot easily.
This is what I meant about holding off, See how the battery, modems etc perform before placing my order.

Associate
Looks like there won't be any 10% off via student discount this year. The t&c's have been updated to specifcially exclude the Pixel 8/8 Pro and Watch 2. Boo. :(

Soldato

Aren't the Google phones usually cheaper than the Apples and Samsung's.

Soldato
Aren't the Google phones usually cheaper than the Apples and Samsung's.
Yeah exactly. You are really paying for the software experience with "good enough" hardware(though with arguably the best camera on a smart phone). If you want premium hardware but don't mind frustrating Android software and more cost then Samsung is for you.

Last edited:
Soldato

Is the 15 the one made with Titanium? And it's overheating.

Back
Top Bottom