Google Pixel 8/8 Pro & Pixel Watch 2

Do you ever think it's you not them ? :D

Saying that I had issues moving on from my trusty pixel 5. It felt so good in the hand, I did buy a 6 and 7 and returned one and passed the other to the Mrs. Just to keep up my record of buying each and every nexus or pixel :D

Last edited:
Do you ever think it's you not them ? :D

Saying that I had issues moving on from my trusty pixel 5. It felt so good in the hand, I did buy a 6 and 7 and returned one and passed the other to the Mrs. Just to keep up my record of buying each and every nexus or pixel :D

Oh yea definitely a lot of it is me, I have the Goldilocks syndrome for sure.

One thing that I cannot tolerate is things that should fundamentally work but don't or are compromised.

Are you going to keep your S23 Ultra?

I also have both & as much as I like the P8Pro, the S23 Ultra is just that bit more.

Both phones are fantastic but the S23 Ultra has the edge for me.
Will probably sell it as the camera is a lot better IMO for taking pictures of my kids, the s23 Ultra still has the odd issue with blur with moving kids, the colour accuracy is also off still with the s23 Ultra. Still good but not accurate

The point you made about scrolling being jerky/jittery, I've also seen but it's app dependent. I had the same on my P2, P5 and now P8. It will be ironed out shortly once the apps are updated. I assume for when a new OS version is released on new hardware

Maybe my old eyes are deceiving me, but I've not witnessed any slow downs.
I don't use any of the social media apps the kids use though :D

WhatsApp, chrome, camera, photos, email, messages, Nest cameras/doorbell etc all run very smoothly for me. In fact, it surprises me how many apps are held in the recent apps page without any issues.

Oh and someone mentioned Niagara launcher earlier in this thread, and Wow! It's blinking amazing, love it. They can have my £7/year for the Pro version straight away. So simple and fast, and love the full screen option.

Last edited:
Going to return my Pixel 8 (yea I know, not surprising). For me it boils down to again Googles lack of attention to detail, polish and consideration for the fundamentals.

I'll be picking up a use iPhone 13 Pro, this is the only ProMotion iPhone I can use without motion sickness for some reason.

List off the top of my head of things the Pixel 8 annoys me with:
- Srolling in various places just doesn't feel good, it can be jerky/jittery. This really destroys the enjoyment of using the phone.
- Photos app has an annoying UltraHDR pop in on photos. Editing videos or photos the phone chokes.
- Phone gets warm doing general browsing.
- UI occasionally has a fit and locks up and shutters.
- Love the photos for the most part, but often it will completely screw up the white balance.
- Battery life isn't anything special.
Welcome back to Apple mate.

Of course! Even better I can do it through Google apps which run better on iOS than Android for some reason! :D

You must have either had a £100 Android or have access the iPhone 20, as a part from YouTube they definitely do not run better on iOS, unless you prefer slower refresh rates

Last edited:
You must have either had a £100 Android or have access the iPhone 20, as a part from YouTube they definitely do not run better on iOS, unless you prefer slower refresh rates
Nope, S23 Ultra, happened with the Pixel 7 Pro I had too.

I even asked @LiE to do the infamous gmail delayed notification test which proved my point :(

Can also confirm. Every year I try the latest Samsung ultra and on each of them I get/had gmail delay notifications. It’s bonkers. Apple does google apps better than android themselves.

Never once have I had a delayed notification on iOS.

Can also confirm. Every year I try the latest Samsung ultra and on each of them I get/had gmail delay notifications. It’s bonkers. Apple does google apps better than android themselves.

Never once have I had a delayed notification on iOS.
It's also not just limited to Samsung but across the board. It’s their battery saving feature of putting unused apps into a deep sleep state, the problem is it’s quite aggressive and for some of the apps like Gmail they don’t deem it as a high priority app to allow notifications for emails to be pushed instantly no matter what battery saving features you turn off.

What would happen is if you turned your screen off for about 5-6 minutes and send an email to an iOS and Android device, 9/10 times the iOS device will receive that notification instantly and in real time. It may take many more minutes/hours for the Android device to deliver it. Or if you unlocked the device you’d see say an email sent to you at 5am only arrive at 5:43 (when you checked your phone). It’s not just Gmail app but the overall behaviour of Android and Doze. You’d often find yourself receive a flood of notifications from apps only once you’ve unlocked your phone. Quite frustrating as this is a basic functionality I’d expect a phone to carry out with no issues.

I tried an iPhone a year or two ago for a few days and one of the reasons I ditched it was because I couldn't get anywhere near real-time Gmail notifications whereas unless I've not touched my pixel for hours they're always as near as instant.

I spent ages messes about with notification settings and the Gmail app, just could not get it working.

Anything I want to ensure I get timely notifications from gets set to unrestricted battery usage and that seems to do me fine, I've certainly never experienced delays to the level some people seem to.

Last edited:
I tried an iPhone a year or two ago for a few days and one of the reasons I ditched it was because I couldn't get anywhere near real-time Gmail notifications whereas unless I've not touched my pixel for hours they're always as near as instant.

I spent ages messes about with notification settings and the Gmail app, just could not get it working.

Anything I want to ensure I get timely notifications from gets set to unrestricted battery usage and that seems to do me fine, I've certainly never experienced delays to the level some people seem to.

Yep same, I have a iPhone 13 with work sim on, the only app I find works as well is YouTube,

Back
Top Bottom