Google Pixel 8/8 Pro & Pixel Watch 2

Can also confirm. Every year I try the latest Samsung ultra and on each of them I get/had gmail delay notifications. It’s bonkers. Apple does google apps better than android themselves.

Never once have I had a delayed notification on iOS.

My xiamoi had better Gmail notifications than the pixel.

I've been looking at 24 month contracts as I'm in SIM only, which I've been on for years as I usually buy handsets outright. I'm surprised to see that the overall cost is equal to the phone and the tariff is essentially free.

E.g. O2, P8 Pro 128GB is £299 upfront then £29 per month for 24 months. Total cost is £995 which is the price of the handset - so the 100GB tariff is essentially free.

Am I missing something obvious? Why have I been buying handsets outright - it makes no sense!

i've claimed free YT premium trial that came with pixel, only to find out - 3 days later - that i was charged full sub price....trying to resolve it via chat now...being bounced from one dept to another lol

I've been looking at 24 month contracts as I'm in SIM only, which I've been on for years as I usually buy handsets outright. I'm surprised to see that the overall cost is equal to the phone and the tariff is essentially free.

E.g. O2, P8 Pro 128GB is £299 upfront then £29 per month for 24 months. Total cost is £995 which is the price of the handset - so the 100GB tariff is essentially free.

Am I missing something obvious? Why have I been buying handsets outright - it makes no sense!
subsidised by network ?google? my piexel 8 pro 256 is £999 with ID - over 24months

I tried an iPhone a year or two ago for a few days and one of the reasons I ditched it was because I couldn't get anywhere near real-time Gmail notifications whereas unless I've not touched my pixel for hours they're always as near as instant.

I spent ages messes about with notification settings and the Gmail app, just could not get it working.

Anything I want to ensure I get timely notifications from gets set to unrestricted battery usage and that seems to do me fine, I've certainly never experienced delays to the level some people seem to.
just tested onmy and i got notification while phone was unused for a longer while. notification came straight in

I stopped using the gmail app circa Nexus era, I had an issue I couldn't resolve where links to forum replies weren't hot links that you could click on. I had to copy and paste the link o a broswer to get there. I ended up downloading bluemail and stuck with that instead and still use it.

Last edited:
The at a glance thing, I have everything ticked but the weather and yet all it ever shows me is the date.
I remember a long time ago I used to get my commute times in the morning and before I left work but it's beyond useless now.

The at a glance thing, I have everything ticked but the weather and yet all it ever shows me is the date.
I remember a long time ago I used to get my commute times in the morning and before I left work but it's beyond useless now.

Is that not a permissions thing ? I am sure I had to enable access to calendar and maps years back

Have to say I'm seeing a decent improvement from my 6pro. The haptics, the screen, the camera, and the battery life are all outperforming my 6pro. Whilst I know face unlock is far from perfect it's a great addition for me. When I was in town yesterday despite scrolling and replying to emails etc... I didn't need to charge it until I went to bed.

The point you made about scrolling being jerky/jittery, I've also seen but it's app dependent. I had the same on my P2, P5 and now P8. It will be ironed out shortly once the apps are updated. I assume for when a new OS version is released on new hardware

Maybe my old eyes are deceiving me, but I've not witnessed any slow downs.
I don't use any of the social media apps the kids use though :D

WhatsApp, chrome, camera, photos, email, messages, Nest cameras/doorbell etc all run very smoothly for me. In fact, it surprises me how many apps are held in the recent apps page without any issues.

Oh and someone mentioned Niagara launcher earlier in this thread, and Wow! It's blinking amazing, love it. They can have my £7/year for the Pro version straight away. So simple and fast, and love the full screen option.

No slow downs here. Quite possible rouge app not optimized for either pixel or android 14 could cause issues. Definitely lots and lots of app updates each day since I switched to the pixel 8

Reddit is on the case.

This is what I mean by not nailing the fundamentals.

Just looked at my Google credit I got and I can pretty much buy a Fitbit 6 with an additional £5.

Giving it a go as it's got 7 day battery life and most of the functionality I use is the same as the pixel watch 2, may just then sell the pixel watch.

That's a great result

Was like this with the Pixel 7 as well last year.

My daughter needed a new phone this year too so I got the pro and she got the standard 8.

Her tariff is £69 upfront and then £24pm for 24 months.... That's a total of £645, cheaper than the retail price of the phone + free pixel buds on top
This is with O2 - 80GB data and unlimited calls/texts

Was like this with the Pixel 7 as well last year.

My daughter needed a new phone this year too so I got the pro and she got the standard 8.

Her tariff is £69 upfront and then £24pm for 24 months.... That's a total of £645, cheaper than the retail price of the phone + free pixel buds on top
This is with O2 - 80GB data and unlimited calls/texts

Yes, I'm now realising that I'm doing it wrong and essentially missing out on free phone contracts. Lesson learned!

Reddit is on the case.

This is what I mean by not nailing the fundamentals.

I've spent 5 minutes opening as many apps as I can, and scrolling like a crazy person back n forth, and my 8Pro didn't skip any of it.

Obviously something is wrong somewhere having watched those videos in your link above, but I'm not experiencing anything like those issues. Quite the opposite in fact, buttery smooth all the way here :)

Last edited:
I've spent 5 minutes opening as many apps as I can, and scrolling like a crazy person back n forth, and my 8Pro didn't skip any of it.

Obviously something is wrong somewhere having watched those videos in your link above, but I'm not experiencing anything like those issues. Quite the opposite in fact, buttery smooth all the way here :)

Same here. Could be a rouge app running wild.

Don't buy the Spigen glass screen protector, it's pants. Outside of the black border impinging on the screen, the glass is very brittle - the first screen protector I applied crumbled while trying to remove some bubbles from the corner - first time that's ever happened! It could be because the Pixel 8 Pro screen isn't properly flat at the edges.

I was more careful on the second protector, but when I stick my Spigen Armor case it lifts the screen protector - they made it very tight in their measurements.

Anyway, I've sent it back and will wait to see if there's another brand that can do the job - to be fair, most of the reviews seem quite poor. Seems like a lack of testing from most manufacturers.

Back
Top Bottom