Google Pixel and Pixel XL

doesnt match the "fingerprint scanner on front and back" rumours... personally hope it looks like this and doesn't have a physical button on the front.
still think that red render looks pretty nice but very much hoping google have a good surprise in store as it is all a little lacklustre right now.

God dammit HTC

So this is going to be less waterproof than a mid range Sony phone...and less waterproof than the not all that waterproof new iPhone

The way things are going this is never going to be worth a premium price for me
Why are you blamjng HTC?

It's pretty clear HTC are acting simply as an ODM and Google are the ones calling the shots, hence lack of HTC branding and the whole "made by Google" approach for marketing.

If Google wanted water-resistance so bad they would have included it meh. No point pointing the finger at HTC

I think one reason for the price is yes.Google may be wanting to seem more premium but they linked up with HTC who's manufacturing costs are likely a lot more than say Samsung and even Huawei, which may have driven up the price a bit.

If the performance and camera is on par with Apple/Samsung in the price is worth it for me. I still find Stock Android best and I couldn't get along with touchwiz on S7 edge. However if the specs are not top notch then its a huge flop.

They also need to build an ecosystem of devices, we need a Google watch, Google Phone, Google Laptop and everything else.

If the performance and camera is on par with Apple/Samsung in the price is worth it for me. I still find Stock Android best and I couldn't get along with touchwiz on S7 edge. However if the specs are not top notch then its a huge flop.

They also need to build an ecosystem of devices, we need a Google watch, Google Phone, Google Laptop and everything else.

The ecosystem exists already.... What do you feel is missing?

Well right now its all sort of disjointed bits of hardware. The Pixel Laptop just got disconnected, the Pixel C really should be running ChromeOS and doesn't exactly work on Android. There is no Pixel watch, the Chomecast is decent but the TV play seems to be dying out on Android, the latest Google built Android TV was a huge flop and no one even cares about it.

Compared to Apple they have a lot of these things in a much better place. Apple TV beats anything google has albeit at a price premium, Apple watch 2 with watch OS too I think is the best offering in town right now, the Laptops and desktops are better from Apple. The iPad I'm not really sold on though, even these new Pros seems like no one will really use them in mass for work and I feel Chrome OS on a Pixel C would win out. Then comes in all giant ecosystem of Apple certified products, there can easily be millions of different products for the iPhone compared to Nexus which has slim pickings, Google has to work on this too. Only Samsung really has a third part ecosystem outside of Apple.

Right now I can't picture myself using a line of only Google hardware products and being happy, but I could with Apple even if I prefer Android over iOS they just have more/better offerings across the board.

Looks like the Pixel phones will co-exist with Nexus. Nexus is not dead.

I imagine what will transpire on the 4th Oct will be remembered for a long time as a turning point in Android history.

Andromeda OS will also run on phones, as well as laptops and tablets, with the Pixel 3 "Bison" laptop being said to launch in Q3 next year being the first Andromeda powered laptop.

So to beef things out:

- Pixel line aimed at the consumer market, premium devices running Android/Andromeda. Sold and branded as "Made by Google" devices.

- Nexus line manufactured by whoever is that year's Nexus OEM. We may even see multiple Nexus OEMs as rumoured earlier in the year. Nexus will remain developer orientated devices, but still available on retail via the Play Store etc.

I certainly hope that things turn out like you have stated Robbie.

You're right in saying that the 4th October will be remembered as a turning point in Android history as a Google Chief - Hiroshi Lockheimer tweeted:

"We announced the 1st version of Android 8 years ago today. I have a feeling 8 years from now we'll be talking about Oct 4, 2016."

Which sounds all very exciting. I certainly hope that Nexus isn't dead...

Looks like the Pixel phones will co-exist with Nexus. Nexus is not dead.

I imagine what will transpire on the 4th Oct will be remembered for a long time as a turning point in Android history.

Andromeda OS will also run on phones, as well as laptops and tablets, with the Pixel 3 "Bison" laptop being said to launch in Q3 next year being the first Andromeda powered laptop.

So to beef things out:

- Pixel line aimed at the consumer market, premium devices running Android/Andromeda. Sold and branded as "Made by Google" devices.

- Nexus line manufactured by whoever is that year's Nexus OEM. We may even see multiple Nexus OEMs as rumoured earlier in the year. Nexus will remain developer orientated devices, but still available on retail via the Play Store etc.
Source?
Articles I've read don't imply some of things you've said imo such as the seocnd point.

All I understand from this in terms of Nexus and Pixel is yes they will seemingly co-exist but right now the only Nexus device in the foreseeable future is the rumoured Huawei Tablet due before the end of this year.

Not sure about the whole multiple oem stuff...

Ones I've read:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...ning-the-andromeda-os-for-release-in-q3-2017/
Who talked about the Andromeda stuff

&
https://9to5google.com/2016/09/26/e...romeda-on-a-nexus-huawei-tablet-pixel-laptop/
Who spoke also on it and about the Huawei Nexus

Last edited:
And also talk on https://plus.google.com/+VinothRagunathan/posts/LeTuTKBfJFy and https://twitter.com/hallstephenj/status/780211011823337472 along with comments on reddit about all these.

It was mainly based on what could likely happen, rather than definitely will. It's a reasonable prediction though, and makes some sense. Having a Nexus product line for tablets and phones, these are always updated with the latest beta builds and so on. Then the Pixel line, consumer daily driver ready premium products that are packed with connectivity and features that people are used to with competing products from Apple etc.

As others have said, the pixel line might cost more, but that cost forces a perception onto the average consumer that they're getting a better product for it. This might be part of Google's plan also.

Back
Top Bottom