Google Pixel and Pixel XL

@stoosh
"You're right in saying that the 4th October will be remembered as a turning point in Android history as a Google Chief - Hiroshi Lockheimer tweeted:

"We announced the 1st version of Android 8 years ago today. I have a feeling 8 years from now we'll be talking about Oct 4, 2016.""

I think the hardware and software launches will be remembered most over time for their extensive use of machine learning and artificial intelligence built-in. I hope this will be amazing and create a real "wow" factor. For example, when Google Home was introduced at I/O, there was a noteworthy buzz from the audience.

The model I held didnt look like the render thats for sure and felt very nice in the hand.
Obviously was a beta version though.
Expect some "live" cases that as you touch the back of the case it changes your wallpaper or brings up things that are "trending" around the world.

Pixel
a392d64ca6.jpg

via Evleaks

Pixel colours: I note that David Ruddock of Android Police has been mentioning a third colour, apart from the expected silver and black.

This third colour is expected to be "Really Blue", in addition to "Very Silver" and "Quite Black". Brings a smile.

Do Google really think the "if it costs more it will make people want it" will work?! If it doesn't compare to other phones at that price range I don't care how "premium" they think the price makes it.

Reading some comments recently by JR Raphael, a known Android enthusiast and reading some tea leaves, I tried to come up with some justification for a premium priced Pixel phone next week. How?

So the comments of Hiroshi Lockheimer about how memorable next week's announcements will be remembered, how we are prepared to see a premium product launch to justify a premium price (but are skeptical of whether Google/Alphabet can ever achieve Apple like status in this regard) and mrk's speculation about Andromeda, I think we might see something else that brings all of these ideas together, perhaps next week.

So while mrk's mention of the Bison availability next year seems accurate for hybrid/convertible type situations, what if the Andromeda introduction is next week and is an option for the Pixel phones too? Google could achieve this next week if it sold a separate dock-like device for the Pixels or via a Bluetooth keyboard using a Chromecast device to beam its "desktop" signal to a display screen. A Chromecast 4k device is supposed to be launched next week.

Would a Pixel phone then be seen as of high enough quality in the eyes of users to pay a premium? Because these phones will act as a super computer for all occasions when to date we would need to consider switching devices (I switch between my Nexus 6 for browsing and my Chromebook laptop for work uses).

Thinking of a what-if scenario next week, could the first idea of Andromeda be essentially to give my Pixel phone a Chrome OS mode that only appears when a further device such as a keyboard is available? While Android would always be available when I am browsing my touch screen Pixel, Andromeda could be brought up when a work-like, productivity situation arises.

The ability to switch seamlessly (work and play) while using a dual-purpose Pixel phone could justify a premium price. Like a continuum (to borrow a phrase from Microsoft Windows 10), but on an Android phone? Watch the recent Google ad again and see if the shape change from search bar to phone passes through the laptop/tablet form factor "continuously" before arriving at the phone? Am I reading too much into next week?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNnCtmyujLA

Final big picture comment: If Andromeda is marketed as a successor to Android, would this help Google with some of the competition concerns that the EU has with Google Android? Google is due to issue a response to the EU by 7 October, three days after next week's big product launch. The Commission has taken issue with the fact that manufacturers were required to pre-install Google's search engine and Chrome web browser on devices that use any other of its licensed apps, such as the popular Google Play app store. Manufacturers wishing to install Google apps on their devices were also prevented from using competitors' modified versions of Android, while companies that offered Google Search as a mobile device's exclusive search engine were provided financial incentives, according to the EU.

If Andromeda were to be launched as Android's successor, there are no competitor modifications at this time and manufacturers would opt to offer a superior OS to Android or Chrome alone. Could this change the dynamics of the marketplace sufficiently for the EU to have to re-examine its basic premises?

Back
Top Bottom