Google Pixel and Pixel XL

Google really need to sort out their product lines because it is a mess out there. The Nexus tablets might as well not exist, the dropping of the branding altogether isn't really confidence inspiring. The Pixel C is a great product and yet no one knows about it, same goes for the Chromebooks that are now being phased out.

Good move

other than techies, nobody knows what a Nexus is. They think it's a brand like Samsung. Google has brand presence, so using that name makes sense.

Take the first Nexus

What phone have you got?

A Nexus

who makes that?

Samsung

Oh I've got a Samsung

Yeah well it's not like yours, it's not really a samsung, it's Google

I thought you said Nexus

Yeah it's a Nexus, but made by Samsung, but it's running Android software just like your phone but not quite the same as it's stock Android from Google, not Samsung

WUT! lolz

Last edited:
Agree. Probably as significant is the idea that Google is taking baby steps in making Android proprietary, like iOS and Windows.

Google has been gradually migrating functionality from AOSP (open source) into Google Mobile Services (proprietary) because Google can prevent fragmentation in GMS as well as distribute updates directly to users. Result: a better user experience. Expect by next year that Android "0" will be even more proprietary.

I believe developers will find it easier to develop apps for a proprietary Google OS.

Views?

They do like nice, but its not as nice as Samsung, camera isn't as nice, display isn't as nice, battery life isn't as nice and so on. Samsung is just better at this point, at one time I would have loved a HTC nexus but now they really don't have much going for them expect the speakers being better.

I'm having a bad day with regards my Samsung S7 Edge, so I feel like I have to take issue with this comment.

The S7 is totally overrated. The battery life is not as good as they say, and I'm back to using a charger at work and a charger in the house, when my old Z3 easily lasted all day. Even my now three(ish) year old HTC lasts just as long.

Full of crap software and bugs.

Quality control issues galore.

Samsung remains the least reliable phone I've ever owned; having owned an S1, S2, S3 and Note 2, I have a fair amount of experience with them. Even my faulty OPO was less infuriating on account of it being less than half the price.

So no, just NO to a Samsung Nexus (in fact, I bought a Galaxy Nexus, and guess what, it didn't ****** work properly, just like all Samsungs I've owned).

There were rumours months ago about a "Google" designed and built phone alongside the 2 HTC Nexus devices. I wonder if they've decided to merge the projects somewhat.

The early release of Nougat does suggest there's some truth in them developing a version of Nougat specific to the Google phone.

I'm having a bad day with regards my Samsung S7 Edge, so I feel like I have to take issue with this comment.

The S7 is totally overrated. The battery life is not as good as they say, and I'm back to using a charger at work and a charger in the house, when my old Z3 easily lasted all day. Even my now three(ish) year old HTC lasts just as long.

Full of crap software and bugs.

Quality control issues galore.

Samsung remains the least reliable phone I've ever owned; having owned an S1, S2, S3 and Note 2, I have a fair amount of experience with them. Even my faulty OPO was less infuriating on account of it being less than half the price.

So no, just NO to a Samsung Nexus (in fact, I bought a Galaxy Nexus, and guess what, it didn't ****** work properly, just like all Samsungs I've owned).

Just to balance it out, myself and my family have had loads of Samsung phones over the years and none of them have had hardware problems.

I don't understand why there isn't just a Google phone either

Surely.someone like huwaei or xiaomi would do a great job building it without being fussy about wanting their name all over it because the handset sales are making the money

In the past the nexus handsets where very reasonably priced to try and get sales but when stuff like the s7 costs more than apples offering Google don't even need to be as competitive on that front

That option has always been available to Google to do but there has been the fine line which they have not crossed. Historically the Nexus programme was about showing the ecosystem what was possible to build and incorporate in a reference phone rather than directly competing with the OEMs. But with fragmentation being an issue and the inability to get time OS updates out to users, will Google finally take a more aggressive stance on the matter? I believe that by moving more of the updates and features to the Google Mobile platform (proprietary) and away from the Android open source platform, Google can achieve its aims, provided it can convince the developers to hop on board.

But the other question remains the attack by the EU Competition Authority against Google who, with their dominant Android market share (90% plus in some EU countries) and how the EU would regard such a move towards a more proprietary arrangement.

Walking on eggshells to please all.

I think I'm going to get one of these when they are released. My old Nexus 4 is still running well but I need the newest version of Android because I will be writing an Android app and I need to test it out on the latest version. The Nexus phones are the only ones I feel comfortable with because they are the only ones that get the latest version of Android on them as soon as it is released.

Hopefully I'll have the money saved up to get one as soon as they are launched.

Is there any more information available yet as to when they are going to be released? I didn't have time to read the whole thread but I get the impression that it will be sometime in September?

I think I'm going to get one of these when they are released. My old Nexus 4 is still running well but I need the newest version of Android because I will be writing an Android app and I need to test it out on the latest version. The Nexus phones are the only ones I feel comfortable with because they are the only ones that get the latest version of Android on them as soon as it is released.

Hopefully I'll have the money saved up to get one as soon as they are launched.

Is there any more information available yet as to when they are going to be released? I didn't have time to read the whole thread but I get the impression that it will be sometime in September?

Still nothing solid yet either Sep or Oct.

As Kainz cites, big hardware announcement by Alphabet/Google on 4 October including release of the two "Google made" phones, the Pixel and Pixel XL (name of top of the line Google Chromebook). Rick Osterleh (ex Motorola which Google owned before selling to Lenovo) is behind the new hardware strategy which will include Pixel phones (5 inch and 5.5 inch displays), a 4K Chromecast, Google Home and Daydream VR Viewer.

So the names Sailfish and Marlin associated with the forthcoming "HTC-made" Nexus devices will be rebranded as the Google made Pixels: the "first phones built by Google".

I hope they have the coloured light bar at the bottom like other Pixel devices!

This is a good move. Google having full control of the hardware.

Back
Top Bottom