Google Pixel and Pixel XL

Subscribed to this. Have grown tired of my Lumia 950 and Windows 10 mobile. Previously had a HTC One M7 but got fed up waiting for firmware updates which were always ages after the Nexus got it. Think I might try a Google phone next, however worried I am about how much they track about you...

I've had a Nexus 4 since Feb 2013 and had been holding out for the new line up this year without really considering anything else until my phone started dying a few weeks ago (certain parts of the screen unresponsive to touch, random restarts and shutdowns, etc).

It's been a great phone and I don't begrudge it 3,5 years of solid service. The last Nexus phone that I craved was the original Nexus 5 but couldn't really justify the purchase at the time when my 4 was still pretty new and working well. I was hoping that those early leaked images of Sailfish/Marlin were fakes because they left me feeling lukewarm (even if they bear some resemblance to the Nexus 4).

I'm sure the specs and build quality of the new phones will be decent and obviously the Android functionality will be top-notch. However, the decision to drop the Nexus brand (Pixel hasn't really gained any traction by my reckoning) and taking a more proprietary approach in terms of launching with an exclusive Nougat 7.1 and more direct Google app/software design seems to be going away from the original premise and heritage of Nexus being a completely stock Android phone. Another story recently suggested they'd be "expensive" (lol) so if they are sharing the same chassis and similar components I can't see the cheaper version being less than £400 unlocked and probably more given the upward trajectory of Nexus phones in recent years.

I'm still going to follow the launch with interest but have decided to sit this one out and have ordered a Moto Z Play instead.

I too was eagerly waiting the release of these.
I have a launch-day N5 which has been doing me fine until this morning - powered itself down and now gets no further than the word "Android" on boot before it reboots.
I'm stuck on a damn Lumina Microsoft phone at the moment, so desperately want to get back on to Android ASAP.
Price will be a major factor for me.

Is there an official news conference scheduled by Google prior to the estimated release date?
Once I know what these are going to sell for I can make me decision on what to do next.

When I bought the Nexus 6 I gave my Nexus 5 to my son who, like you, recently complained that the phone was really unresponsive and had poor screen display issues. Mind you the phone is now getting on in life (having had two lives with me and him) and he is keen to get my Nexus 6 when I go with a new Google Pixel phone.

We know Alphabet/Google has announced an 4 Oct Save the Date when they are expected to launch up to 9 hardware products, including two Pixel smartphones. The two smartphones will have Google Pixel branding (not HTC) which implies that Google will have taken over total control of both the hardware and software and hence should make for a great, polished Android reference device to be known as Pixel and Pixel XL ("made by Google"). I really hope this smartphone is seen as every bit as good as say a Samsung flagship device so that we Nexus fans can finally say that there are no compromises with this one.

Why am I optimistic about the Pixel quality? Because with 7 other hardware launches rumoured on 4 October and the phones being the centre of the Google hardware universe (the other devices will work off the phones), 9 to 5 Google believes that Google has a lot riding on them. They believe we will have a Google hardware universe soon of tablets, laptops, smart watches, streaming devices, virtual assistants in the form of home speakers, a VR headset, etc and hopefully in a few short years a Google self driving car!

As we get closer to this complete hardware and software universe, a tight integration between hardware and software and overall reliability becomes key.

I am saving up for the Pixels as the entry point to this new Google hardware universe. Bring it on.

Render based off CAD Design with dimensions.
"handset measures 143.8 mm x 69.5 mm x 7.3 mm at its thinnest point (the bottom) while it is 8.5 mm at the thickest point (the top). Although not shown in the renders, we can also confirm the headphone port is located along the top/left edge of the metal frame"
Images
jUybbVK.jpg
iHRblCf.jpg
zygAU12.jpg
qfFEBdB.jpg
http://www.androidauthority.com/htc-nexus-sailfish-360-exclusive-715733/
& based off those dimensions its not just a recycled HTC A9.

Must admit I'm not a fan of that at all. :(

However everyone said the same about the leaks of the 6P and that turned out alright...

Yeah I remember very well the EXACT same words were said about the nexii last year, in particular the 6P and I was one of those people saying those words. The day it was officially announced I preorder the 6p and think it looks fantastic. Wait until official shots and promotions is what I suggest doing as I'm sure many will change their mind.

My only concern is will the camera be any good on the larger version as the one on the 6p is excellent but Motorola are typically pants. If it's not great will prevent me from buying

Yup the camera will have to be at least as good as the 5x/6p for me to consider.

Just a shame the bottom bezel is so big for no good reason :(

Yeah I remember very well the EXACT same words were said about the nexii last year, in particular the 6P and I was one of those people saying those words. The day it was officially announced I preorder the 6p and think it looks fantastic. Wait until official shots and promotions is what I suggest doing as I'm sure many will change their mind.

My only concern is will the camera be any good on the larger version as the one on the 6p is excellent but Motorola are typically pants. If it's not great will prevent me from buying
Motorola isn't making this year's Nexus.

HTC are and Google will handle the camera again like last year

$649 price being thrown around for the Pixel XL, roughly £489 and that's not even factoring in VAT we have to pay. Obviously it's never a straight simple confusion but yeah typical Nexus pricing definitely looks to be over.

https://twitter.com/RDR0b11/status/774999884915060737

Ruddock said he's not 100% on the pricing hence why he only mentioned it on twitter and not wrote an article for Android Police.

Motorola isn't making this year's Nexus.

HTC are and Google will handle the camera again like last year

ah same difference. i'm not sold on HTC cameras either yet, but i'm very open minded. Time will tell :)

There does seem to be a complete lack of anything new in phones these days. I know my 6P is still fairly top of the range, but comparing the Nexus 5 to the 6P it was a huge difference in terms of screen quality, camera, brand new tech with finger print reader. 6P to this years phone I can't see hardware wise what will be the new thing. I know it's only a 1 year gap but I can't imagine anything next year will be that exciting either.

The 6P camera is good, perhaps poor lighting environments the camera could improve on but generally i think the camera produces excellent images i'm almost always happy with. the screen is crystal clear. even if they add 4k to phones I just don't think i'll view it as a needed upgrade. I don't care what RAM or CPU is in the new nexus phones as the one in the 6P never struggles ever. The only one area I'd say they could improve on is the battery. Give us some stupidly large one please.

The reasons for me wanting a new device are simply that i find the 6P ever so slightly too large, 0.1 of an inch smaller i'd prefer, and a less slippy design, plus i love having the latest phone tech as it was moving at such a fast pace and so interesting to see where it was going. This will probably be the first time i've felt it's almost gone no where.

Last edited:
I've learned to handle the 6P. For months it was a pain in the backside picking it up, but finally I've grown used to it and I don't have to think how to hold it. I don't think I've dropped it yet (certainly not in any scary way!).

I'm happy with the 6P at the moment, and it's still lightning quick. Unless the new phones do something surprising which nobody has anticipated yet then I'm more than content to stick with what I've got. I do miss wireless charging though.

Back
Top Bottom