• Yes, but after launch

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters
Associate
The problem is there is still a significant price to use it.

Fair enough the monthly sub isn't bad but pricing the Chromecast + controller at £119 when an Xbox one can be had (with controller) for £20 more?

I could look at using that £20 to spend towards a game and be playing pretty much instantly, whereas you’d have to set up the console, download any updates, then buy a game (physical or digital-whatever your preference), then wait for the game to install, etc..

£119 is a bargain if you ask me.

Associate
People always seem to call others trolls when they don't have a solid argument to defend their stance on a subject.

Would prefer be a troll and right, rather than being an ignorant ****, like some others on here.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
People always seem to call others trolls when they don't have a solid argument to defend their stance on a subject.

Would prefer be a troll and right, rather than being an ignorant ****, like some others on here.
Not sure if serious. You make silly statements and once questioned you do not bother to explain how you arrived at such conclusions. That leads people to think you are trolling and rightly so.

Soldato

You should read back your previous posts.

Someone questioned why you think pirating games is worse than second hand and you ignored that.
I posted asking if you had read someone's hands on experience with stadia (pretty underwhelming) and I asked what gaming platforms you own and you ignored that too.

If you want to avoid being deemed a troll then you need to take part in a bit of debate without posting crap and ignoring people.

Soldato
Paying more for games? I can't remember the last time i paid full price for a digital game. Games are as cheap as they ever have been.

RRPs on console titles increased early-to-mid last year which saw price increases on the online stores especially on new releases, and even with some cheap CD key top-ups you're still usually paying more for digital games than you are at retail, aside from the occasional digital discount.

DLC, microtransactions, season passes, etc, are the result of the used games market. People that buy used games contribute **** all to the developers.

So? They're also a result of digital distribution, none of those things would be possible without it. The used games market existed long before any of those things became commonplace.

You're not going to convince anyone that devs and publishers are now so cash-strapped that they have to resort to less-favourable means to bring in extra money. In six years GTA3 sold 6.55 million copies, in the same amount of time GTA5 has sold over 100 million copies and generated $6 billion. Remind us which one has DLC and microtransactions, won't you please?

I think you'll find it's directly attributable to your manner and language, rather than whether you think you're right or wrong.

Soldato
Nonsense. No, it wasn't, before the console was released Sony had a huge job on their hand to convince publishers to put their games on the console. MS were the same with Xbox. Many weren't convinced. Only when the PlayStation started to take off and publishers seen it was going to be a success, that's what made the platform.

Contrast that scenario with Stadia, they already have major publishers on board, plus there are 4000 devs wanting to put their games on the platform.

This dwarfs what Sony/MS had with their first systems.
The point I was making that you keep skipping over is that *if* this is not successful, Google will drop it. Google have a history of not supporting their business streams that are not profitable (excluding R&D units).

Associate
To those skeptical of Stadia, what will it take for you to give it a go, or is it literally a case of no console/disc, no deal?

There has to be something about the concept that you find positive no?

Man of Honour
To those skeptical of Stadia, what will it take for you to give it a go, or is it literally a case of no console/disc, no deal?

I'll give a free trial a go.

Not for the types of games that I generally play. Competitive games will be terrible with the input lag, which is physically impossible to remove. Same with metroidvanias & difficult platformers, but they all run fine on low powered devices such as a Switch so the grunt of Stadia is useless.

The Switch covers my portable gaming. How is Stadia going to work on a train or plane? In a foreign country? In a hotel with rubbish Wi-Fi?

There really is no upside for me at all, unless it was a subscription model with 100+ games on it like Game Pass. But buying a full priced game that I can only access with input lag and only on a great connection so pretty much limited to at home? Nah.

Soldato

Tbh. There’s a few things really. Is it even getting any AAA exclusives? The lack of storage / offline play is the biggest kicker for me. And the fact that my internet is only 20 mb or so.

Associate
So basically it comes down to input lag, offline support and “exclusives”. Basically all traits found on your regular consoles.

It will seemingly be very hard to break you die-hard console lovers to ever shift to this type of gaming.

A shame really but I guess these are all issues Google will have to deal with going forward.

Associate
Is that you, Phil Harrison? :p

Haha!

I’m certainly not trying to convince people to give Stadia a go here-that’s Google’s job. And it’s done a poor one at that it seems.

Everyone has their reasons for not doing so, but I look at my own situation (90% digital with films, all digital with Switch and no meaningful ties to Microsoft or Sony in this current gen) with a 300mb BB connection who doesn’t want to spend £400/500 on a next gen console yet would like to play the next gen titles and not have to worry about any upgrading of hardware in the future.

So Stadia for me would represent a great way to do that for a fraction of the cost.

I guess I’d like people to be a bit more open minded towards it than just a straight “I’m sticking with my console and that’s that.”...

Soldato
I take it google stadia won’t be for someone who likes to have the best possible graphics in a game.
Reason I say that is this is an everywhere device so there will be no actual console like an Xbox or PS with decent hardware.

I'm sure games will look great on stadia though, but not as good as console?

Man of Honour
So basically it comes down to input lag, offline support and “exclusives”. Basically all traits found on your regular consoles.

It will seemingly be very hard to break you die-hard console lovers to ever shift to this type of gaming.

A shame really but I guess these are all issues Google will have to deal with going forward.

In a fantasy future where we all get perfect network connections on our mobile devices served by servers never more that a 16ms ping away anywhere in the world then sure.

That's not going to happen in my lifetime though.

Google aren't targeting the people who post on tech forums and Reddit though, their sights are squarely aimed at the casual market where they could very well succeed.

I guess I’d like people to be a bit more open minded towards it than just a straight “I’m sticking with my console and that’s that.”...

I've thought it through in detail and it's definitely not a product designed for my wants.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I take it google stadia won’t be for someone who likes to have the best possible graphics in a game.
Reason I say that is this is an everywhere device so there will be no actual console like an Xbox or PS with decent hardware.

I'm sure games will look great on stadia though, but not as good as console?

If it wasn't for the artifacts caused by video compression it would probably look better than next gen consoles, but only if you pay for their subscription on top of paying for the games. Otherwise it's bog standard 1080p60.

Back
Top Bottom