• Yes, but after launch

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters
Soldato
The only ones down playing this service are dinosaurs still buying retail.

Those dinosaurs also frequently find themselves wondering why the people so ready to embrace a digital-only future with substantially greater restrictions on media ownership (or none at all) are also willing to pay substantially more for it.

I'll still be quite happy years from now playing games on discs that don't spontaneously drop to 240p when my wifi suffers interference.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
More like OP does not get why he is the only on here so excited about Stadia and cannot fathom why others are not seeing it. Lol.

Google will need to do what Epic are doing and start getting 1 year exclusivity on games or even better developing their own triple a must play games to get people slowly on board imo. That together with making sure that graphics on offer are on par if not better than what can be had on PC or console to give those people a reason to stay. If not it will either take a small share of the market or slowly die like onlive.

I just can’t see it taking off for the people who like to play competitively online due to physical limitations. It could be fine for single player content which is what I enjoy, but again it would take lot of work for them to get me on board permanently.

Soldato
I gather one of the key selling points of Stadia is the fact you can play it on any device anywhere. Personally that doesn't interest me in the slightest, I have no intention of playing games when I'm out and about. I just like to chill in my room when I get time to play games.
Also the fact that the UK still has a jurassic internet infrastructure in may places will not help sway people to this device.

Soldato
To put it bluntly.. people aren’t going to want to risk no access to their game collection due to poor internet, or in a worst case, their internet going down. A physical box with a hard drive, and game storage is essential, for offline gaming.

I dont buy physical anymore due to disk swapping annoyances. But I’m sure as heck never gonna switch to pure streaming. I don’t get why somebody is gonna wanna pay £50 for a game, only to be able to access it if you have a good connection.

that also raises another concern. What if your household is all trying to stream something, or download? And your connection is getting hammered ? Sky Q, Netflix, amazon prime etc. I just can’t see this thing taking off.

Caporegime
OP
The only thing I don't like is the idea of Google just pulling games from the service at the whim of publishers. Are they going to do what other digital distributors do and leave you access to your purchases (but not allow anyone to buy it going forwards) or are they going to remove access altogether? I don't think I've seen an official answer to this.

There are multiple benefits which sound really good though - no worrying about saves as they are all cloud based, all games run from an SSD, no having to wait for patches to download. A lot of people moan about no mod capability but I'm one of the rare ones who refuses to use mods anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
Those dinosaurs also frequently find themselves wondering why the people so ready to embrace a digital-only future with substantially greater restrictions on media ownership (or none at all) are also willing to pay substantially more for it.

You never legally owned the games in the first place even when you bought physically.

Paying more for games? I can't remember the last time i paid full price for a digital game. Games are as cheap as they ever have been.

DLC, microtransactions, season passes, etc, are the result of the used games market. People that buy used games contribute **** all to the developers. It's worse than piracy.

Also, with regards to the environment, the less plastics the better.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
You never legally owned the games in the first place even when you bought physically.

Paying more for games? I can't remember the last time i paid full price for a digital game. Games are as cheap as they ever have been.

Used games are the result of DLC, microtransactions, season passes, etc. People that buy used games contribute **** all to the developers. It's worse than piracy.

Also, with regards to the environment, the less plastics the better.

DLC, micro transactions etc are there because people will pay for them. Publishers will always try and maximise profits.

Also how can buying used games be worse than piracy? Some dodgy logic there. At least people use the money they got back from sold games to buy new ones.

Associate
DLC, micro transactions etc are there because people will pay for them. Publishers will always try and maximise profits.

Wrong. Do some research before typing. DLC, micro transactions, etc are the result of used games because publishers only had one stream of
revenue when selling their games i.e New sales.

They don't see a penny from used. Hence, they needed another form of revenue to make up for the lost revenue from used sales.

Soldato
Wrong. Do some research before typing. DLC, micro transactions, etc are the result of used games because publishers only had one stream of

They don't see a penny from used. Hence, they needed another form of revenue to make up for the lost revenue from used sales.

Just curious, what gaming platforms do you own? I'm assuming pc only.

Soldato

Considering Digital downloads are increasing week on week, the excuse of DLC etc being a reaction to used games is bull.

Just curious, what gaming platforms do you own? I'm assuming pc only.

I'm a pc gamer at heart but also like my consoles, this guy is a PC troll if people havent worked it out already.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Lol. Pot calling the kettle black.

I am wrong in saying publishers will always try and maximise profits is it? What planet do you live on again? What are loot boxes about then I wonder?

Still waiting on a reply about your claim that used games are worse than piracy by the way. Wonder what you was smoking when typing that? Lol

Rock_n_Troll
:D

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm a pc gamer at heart but also like my consoles, this guy is a PC troll if people havent worked it out already.

Yeah I'm thinking that's the case. I was just hoping he'd confirm our thoughts :)

It's weird how people get so passionately against things that they don't own. It's as if they must defend their own choices.

Stadia looks interesting. It could usher a change in the gaming world but from what I've seen it doesn't really promise anything that much more exciting that what I've seen in the past with other failed streaming services.

Associate
To put it bluntly.. people aren’t going to want to risk no access to their game collection due to poor internet, or in a worst case, their internet going down. A physical box with a hard drive, and game storage is essential, for offline gaming.

I dont buy physical anymore due to disk swapping annoyances. But I’m sure as heck never gonna switch to pure streaming. I don’t get why somebody is gonna wanna pay £50 for a game, only to be able to access it if you have a good connection.

that also raises another concern. What if your household is all trying to stream something, or download? And your connection is getting hammered ? Sky Q, Netflix, amazon prime etc. I just can’t see this thing taking off.

The chances of your internet going down are there most definitely. But it’s not as if it won’t come back online is it? And I’ve had next to none issues with my internet since I’ve moved into my new house nearly a year ago. Just don’t think it’s as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

I just think that the potential of never having to buy a console again and instant play has tremendous upside.

I pretty much live in a digital world these days so just see this as the next logical step.

There will be many who refuse to go in on this due to the reasons suggested above and that’s fine-but I see it as an inevitable future and people will have to get on board with it eventually.

I’d still like some more publishers to get announced but the more I read up, the more convinced I am that this is the ideal platform for me.

(Non PC owner troll/Switch user here)

Soldato
Yeah I'm thinking that's the case. I was just hoping he'd confirm our thoughts :)

It's weird how people get so passionately against things that they don't own. It's as if they must defend their own choices.

Stadia looks interesting. It could usher a change in the gaming world but from what I've seen it doesn't really promise anything that much more exciting that what I've seen in the past with other failed streaming services.

In my personal situation, i really want stadia to succeed. Nowadays, as a dad of two, i neither have the time or the money to buy consoles and new pc's. If i can get a service like stadia to work aswell and have a rich catalogue of games i'm all in.

Associate
The problem is there is still a significant price to use it.

Fair enough the monthly sub isn't bad but pricing the Chromecast + controller at £119 when an Xbox one can be had (with controller) for £20 more?

Back
Top Bottom