Votes: 24 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters
Associate
It comes with a pixel 4????

I'm sure there would be a few more sales if that was the case.

Just jumped on this to take a look and get my head around it.

From what I understand you pay google a monthly fee to then buy a game (at a slightly discounted price) which you can never actually keep... and regarding the free Stadia package (1080p/60) with the games at full price, may as well buy a PS4 / Xbox1...

Is there any reason to get this instead of an xbox 1 with game pass?

The monthly fee is £8.99 which gives you 4K/60 gaming with free games as part of the subscription. Base Stadia will be free @1080/60. Yes you would buy your games (much like you would on the digital PS/Xbox stores that you never actually "keep") from the Stadia store.

If you don't want to buy a console again, just buy for what you play and never have to worry about downloading of games/updates then those are good reasons as any to get Stadia. But going from your post you've seemingly already made your mind up.

More details here: https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/9338946

Soldato
I'm sure there would be a few more sales if that was the case.

The monthly fee is £8.99 which gives you 4K/60 gaming with free games as part of the subscription. Base Stadia will be free @1080/60. Yes you would buy your games (much like you would on the digital PS/Xbox stores that you never actually "keep") from the Stadia store.

If you don't want to buy a console again, just buy for what you play and never have to worry about downloading of games/updates then those are good reasons as any to get Stadia. But going from your post you've seemingly already made your mind up.

More details here: https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/9338946

Not at all I have all the current gen consoles, I was hoping before I looked for a pure game pass experience without the download, i.e. hundreds of back titles and the latest games added on release for say £10 a month. However it's not that which is a shame.

The current crop of consoles give a choice you can build a digital catalog or own the media. I opt with console to own the media unless it's a few pounds then I don't mind as much owning the digital.

The only platform that I have invested in is Steam but that's not really out of choice.

Last edited:
Associate
Not at all, I was hoping before I looked for a pure game pass experience without the download, i.e. hundreds of back titles and the latest games added on release for say £10 a month. However it's not that.

Lol, no-one was ever getting that.

But then I place blame on Google on that - clearly the promotional work done hasn't been good enough.

Caporegime
OP
Not at all, I was hoping before I looked for a pure game pass experience without the download, i.e. hundreds of back titles and the latest games added on release for say £10 a month. However it's not that.

Well you're halfway there with PS Now for that. They just don't have the latest games. But there are 400 games or something on there now.

In other news, Google are shutting their Daydream VR project down. It doesn't give one much confidence to splash out on Stadia when it could go boobs up in 2023 and you have nothing to show for it but a controller.

Associate
The Daydream VR will still work with older phones, just not the Pixel 4.

We saw a lot of potential in smartphone VR—being able to use the smartphone you carry with you everywhere to power an immersive on-the-go experience. But over time we noticed some clear limitations constraining smartphone VR from being a viable long-term solution. Most notably, asking people to put their phone in a headset and lose access to the apps they use throughout the day causes immense friction.

There also hasn't been the broad consumer or developer adoption we had hoped, and we've seen decreasing usage over time of the Daydream View headset. So while we are no longer selling Daydream View or supporting Daydream on Pixel 4, the Daydream app and store will remain available for existing users.

We're investing heavily in helpful AR experiences like Google Lens, AR walking navigation in Maps, and AR in Search that use the smartphone camera to bridge the digital and physical worlds, helping people do more with what they see and learn about the world around them.

If the negativity towards Stadia is as rife as it is on here, why is anyone bothering with it at all then?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The Daydream VR will still work with older phones, just not the Pixel 4.

If the negativity towards Stadia is as rife as it is on here, why is anyone bothering with it at all then?
Don't think people here are necessarily the target market. This will appeal more to the mainstream people perhaps. Time will tell. Interesting to watch and see what happens :D

Caporegime
OP
Next bit of news. The wireless controller is only wireless if you are playing on a TV with Chromecast Ultra. If you want to use it on your PC or mobile device, you'll need to connect it with USB-C.

As someone on Eurogamer comments, this is Google StaDOA. :D

Soldato
Next bit of news. The wireless controller is only wireless if you are playing on a TV with Chromecast Ultra. If you want to use it on your PC or mobile device, you'll need to connect it with USB-C.

As someone on Eurogamer comments, this is Google StaDOA. :D

Ive also heard you can’t use stadia through a mobile data connection, is this true ? Or did I read it wrong ? :/

Man of Honour
Thought so, WiFi only. Not a deal breaker for most.. but some people have 4g routers in their homes.

Edit. Maybe I’m reading this wrong. Just mobile on phones or all mobile connections ?

https://9to5google.com/2019/10/17/stadia-wifi-launch/

4G will give you an expected latency of 50ms in normal conditions which is too high for stadia.

That's before you factor in the poor jitter and inconsistent packet delivery with mobile connections.

See how poor xcloud over 4G is for a good benchmark.

Soldato
I'm excited to see what Google manage to do with this, having read/watched a number of reports from people who have actually used it the feedback sounds very positive and the latency doesn't seem to be a problem.

I'm not so bothered these days about the device and more interested in just playing the games, if you can hook up a controller and start playing the latest games immediately without worrying about storage size and massive downloads what's not to like?

Soldato
There doesn't appear to be any way to plug a network cable, or am I missing something obvious in my old age? Surely it can't be wifi only? So not only can I not use a device like this due to not having access to fibre, but even if I did have fibre I couldn't use it because the wifi signal in the main room with my TV is not exactly strong due the house having really thick Victorian brick walls and there being quite a few of them betwixt the router and the TV.

Associate
There doesn't appear to be any way to plug a network cable, or am I missing something obvious in my old age? Surely it can't be wifi only? So not only can I not use a device like this due to not having access to fibre, but even if I did have fibre I couldn't use it because the wifi signal in the main room with my TV is not exactly strong due the house having really thick Victorian brick walls and there being quite a few of them betwixt the router and the TV.

Are talking about the chromecast ultra? If so the ethernet cable plugs into the ac adaptor.

Man of Honour
Going from all the wonderful comments on here, you’ll all be happy to know that the Founders Edition has sold out.

Wasn't the quantity limited to avoid over subscription and service failure on launch day?

I can't find the source for that now so maybe it's not accurate, but it wouldn't be surprising to sell out if that is the case.

Soldato
I'm excited to see what Google manage to do with this, having read/watched a number of reports from people who have actually used it the feedback sounds very positive and the latency doesn't seem to be a problem.

My issue with this is the most reports have come from controlled environments; usually places with mega-internet backed up by enterprise level gear. The latency, jitter and bandwidth on those setups is going to be significantly better than the stuff people have at home.

Have we seen a test over someones 30mb FTTC link using a £20 router yet? Or are all the tests over a 1GB leased line fronted by £50k's worth of Cisco gear?

Man of Honour
My issue with this is the most reports have come from controlled environments; usually places with mega-internet backed up by enterprise level gear. The latency, jitter and bandwidth on those setups is going to be significantly better than the stuff people have at home.

Have we seen a test over someones 30mb FTTC link using a £20 router yet? Or are all the tests over a 1GB leased line fronted by £50k's worth of Cisco gear?

I tested xCloud on a 10Gb/10Gb connection and it still felt like playing underwater, but I will admit that it could be because it doesn't use the Stadia's controller with a direct WiFi connection.

If you are playing Stadia with a controller connected to your PC though the experience will be similar. There was a distinct feeling of not being quite in control, a bit like playing the original Gears of War actually with its "heavy" (laggy) aiming.

Associate
Wasn't the quantity limited to avoid over subscription and service failure on launch day?

I can't find the source for that now so maybe it's not accurate, but it wouldn't be surprising to sell out if that is the case.

Of course the Founders Edition was limited, that was the point of it. But I know where you’re going with your comment. But I'm sure you’ll be happy that the Premiere Edition is now on sale. ;)

I haven’t seen any articles regarding how many FE’s were on sale or sold. I imagine if there was it would have been posted in here already.

Back
Top Bottom