• Yes, but after launch

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Of course the Founders Edition was limited, that was the point of it. But I know where you’re going with your comment. But I'm sure you’ll be happy that the Premiere Edition is now on sale.

Does that give launch day access too?

Regardless, I really think Google are missing a trick by not making this a Game Pass type service. I would definitely have gone for a months trial of it.

Soldato
My issue with this is the most reports have come from controlled environments; usually places with mega-internet backed up by enterprise level gear. The latency, jitter and bandwidth on those setups is going to be significantly better than the stuff people have at home.

Have we seen a test over someones 30mb FTTC link using a £20 router yet? Or are all the tests over a 1GB leased line fronted by £50k's worth of Cisco gear?

A number of the reports come from events like GDC on the show floor which according to the reporters are usually pretty poor when it comes to connectivity.

But I do agree totally with the point you're making, seeing how it performs on your average Sky fibre or Virgin router in the evening while the kids are streaming Netflix will be the real test.

Soldato
Our sky Q box is constantly recording/downloading/streaming. I’d hate to see the quality of a stadia stream while it’s trying to battle it out for bandwidth with a sky q box.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Our sky Q box is constantly recording/downloading/streaming. I’d hate to see the quality of a stadia stream while it’s trying to battle it out for bandwidth with a sky q box.
Plus others using the internet in the house and maybe even downloading.

I mentioned this but some die hard Stadia fans got upset and got ultra defensive for some reason? It is a valid concern imo.

Soldato

I mentioned this but some die hard Stadia fans got upset and got ultra defensive for some reason? It is a valid concern imo.
It definitely is a concern. We have 20 or so devices connected to our router at any one time. All fighting for bandwidth.

Associate

You do realise you don’t have to record/download/stream everything right.... :p

Not that I’d call myself a “die hard”, but no-one is getting upset. Of course they’re valid concerns. I myself over the last couple of days have had issues at work regarding our network being down with no access to emails and internet. And I did wonder how I’d feel if that was at home and I had no access to my potential Stadia games. But then I just came to the conclusion that I’d just get on with something else and it will come back on eventually. There’s more to life than a bit of casual gaming.

But you and select others have done nothing but criticise Stadia. At least from my perspective anyway. Definitely not much in the way of positive comments that’s for sure.

There will be plenty with excellent broadband that will enjoy Stadia and everything it brings to the table and probably enjoy many many months of 4K gaming.

Soldato
In perfect performance conditions I see the appeal of being able to play Cyberpunk at 4k without needing a console. But in anything less than perfect (ie. Streaming at 1080p with input lag) I don't really see where it would offer an experience worth choosing over it's rivals.

When it launches and they say "Assassin's Creed Odyssey only £20". I'll just think no thanks I can get it for less on Ps4 or PC and continue to play with no risk of performance lose and on the same screens I always have.

I have little interest playing on a tablet, mobile or laptop.

Associate
In perfect performance conditions I see the appeal of being able to play Cyberpunk at 4k without needing a console. But in anything less than perfect (ie. Streaming at 1080p with input lag) I don't really see where it would offer an experience worth choosing over it's rivals.

When it launches and they say "Assassin's Creed Odyssey only £20". I'll just think no thanks I can get it for less on Ps4 or PC and continue to play with no risk of performance lose and on the same screens I always have.

I have little interest playing on a tablet, mobile or laptop.

With the rivals you will still have to upgrade hardware further down the line. No need to download the game, no downloading of patches. That’s the main experience and driver Stadia is going for. Pick up and play and you’re good to go.

I wouldn’t expect people to double dip on games they’ve already bought unless they really wanted the game again. I know many will rebuy RDR2 though for the opportunity to play it in 4K/60.

As I’ve said previously, I think going from here people (and the older generations) are just too set in their ways to entertain the notion of only streaming your games.

Soldato
Prove to us that streaming games is as solid as playing locally and we would entertain the notion. It's got nothing to do with being set in our ways it's simply about performance. I've tried streaming via PSNow and I didn't like how it felt. Sure, the tech may have improved by now and that's great. Some people are happy to invest and jump in blind and some aren't prepared to take that risk.

Caporegime
OP
As I’ve said previously, I think going from here people (and the older generations) are just too set in their ways to entertain the notion of only streaming your games.

I love the idea of no hardware, no patches, no downloading but as someone who likes to play older games as well, I'd be worried that one day the service could cease to exist and all those games you've bought are lost. At least if you buy on PC, you've got a greater chance of those games still working (and on consoles to a lesser extent). That's why I'd prefer Stadia to be a Game Pass type arrangement where you can rent games cheaply and I wouldn't feel too aggrieved if it all went boobs up later on down the line.

I've tried streaming PS3 games on PS Now and it worked just fine. Stadia's infrastructure is reportedly even better. I don't think lag will be a big problem for most people. Just @Kreeeee who can detect lag in the nanosecond range. :p

Soldato

Ahh, the old patronising "I'm right and your opinions are irrelevant because you're just a bunch of jaded old people" argument :rolleyes:

Look at it another way. Stadia is yet another game streaming platform. Except this one doesn't use existing hardware or games or an all-you-can-eat subscription. It's £119 for the hardware, £8.99/month for the service, and £49.99-£59.99 for the games, so considerably more expensive than GeForce Now or PlayStation Now, or any of the PC services. Whether it performs better than existing services outside of demo conditions remains to be seen (but it likely will, thanks to the WiFi controller). For many of us, buying in to the platform would mean an investment of hundreds of pounds per year. If it flops, like so many new game platforms before it, nobody knows what will happen to that investment. If Google shut the service down, then is that it?

So is it right to be cautious and sceptical? Or should everyone be blindly optimistic, assuming that everything will be fine?

Last edited:
Associate
Ahh, the old patronising "I'm right and your opinions are irrelevant because you're just a bunch of jaded old people" argument :rolleyes:

Look at it another way. Stadia is yet another game streaming platform. Except this one doesn't use existing hardware or games. It's £119 for the hardware, £8.99/month for the service, and £49.99-£59.99 for the games, so considerably more expensive than GeForce Now or PlayStation Now, or any of the PC services. Whether it performs better than existing services outside of demo conditions remains to be seen (but it likely will, thanks to the WiFi controller). For many of us, buying in to the platform would mean an investment of hundreds of pounds per year. If it flops, like so many new game platforms before it, nobody knows what will happen to that investment. If Google shut the service down, then that's it.

So is it right to be cautious and sceptical? Or blindly optimistic?

I’m 38 so I’m no spring chicken. Up to you if you think it’s patronising or not.

You’re going to be investing £100’s regardless of what platform you’re using so what difference does it make if it’s Sony or Google you’re giving it to?

Who isn’t being cautious? Or dismissing people’s opinions? I’ve said a few posts ago that a work experience of losing internet for a certain period of time could mean a potential scenario being that I couldn’t play my games.

The risk is there but clearly many of you aren’t willing to take that risk.

I’d just rather have a more positive outlook on the service than dismissing it before it’s even been released.

Soldato
You’re going to be investing £100’s regardless of what platform you’re using so what difference does it make if it’s Sony or Google you’re giving it to?

There's no real risk in Sony shelving the PlayStation. In the unlikely event that they did, the games (physical copies, at least) would still be playable.

And on the purchasing games point, existing consoles have a large number of competing sales channels. Stadia will have one (maybe two, if key reselling is a thing). And Phil Harrison has already confirmed the games will be at the same RRP as other platforms, so you're looking at £49.99 to £59.99 for a new release.

Stadia is a new platform from a new entrant to the market. So just like any other time this happens, there's an increased risk that it all goes wrong. But this time, its compounded by the platform's own unique issues; a potential lack of access to games if the platform fails, and potentially higher game prices due to the closed nature of the platform.

Last edited:
Associate
Being cautious isn't being dismissive.

Seems like it to me.

There's no real risk in Sony shelving the PlayStation. In the unlikely event that they did, the games (physical copies, at least) would still be playable.

And on the purchasing games point, existing consoles have a large number of competing sales channels. Stadia will have one (maybe two, if key reselling is a thing). And Phil Harrison has already confirmed the games will be at the same RRP as other platforms, so you're looking at £49.99 to £59.99 for a new release.

Again, it all boils down to people’s fear then isn’t it? I don’t want to live in the fear something might potentially close and deny myself the opportunity to enjoy a service that could change up the industry.

RE Price: These are AAA games that will be available so why would you expect any different?

Clearly this isn’t the place I can have worthwhile discussion about Stadia without people telling me it’s a fail before it’s even begun so I’ll leave it there.

Soldato
Clearly this isn’t the place I can have worthwhile discussion about Stadia without people telling me it’s a fail before it’s even begun so I’ll leave it there.

I think you’ll find most message boards will feel the same regarding stadia. The market just isn’t ready for it yet.

Soldato

Only one of those is an established leader in the games console market with a wealth of top-quality devs and exclusives to its name.

Stadia's biggest issue for me is something that's entirely out of Google's control; the internet connection, the supporting hardware (most ISP-provided consumer routers have no QoS at all) and the ISP/telecoms infrastructure. I have no doubt Stadia will be technically impressive on the server side because Google know how to throw a lot of hardware at something, but they're putting a lot of faith in some copper cables to deliver the service they're promising.

The above would almost equally apply if Sony were at the helm of Stadia too, by the way, although the lure of their exclusives would definitely be more compelling than being able to play the same games I already can on PC or console.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Again, it all boils down to people’s fear then isn’t it? I don’t want to live in the fear something might potentially close and deny myself the opportunity to enjoy a service that could change up the industry.
I am not denying myself of anything. I will still play the games I want. If the service is good enough it will continue on, mature and get better. If my needs change then I may give it a go.

Right now unless they have some AAA must play exclusives, I cannot see myself getting it any time soon. Still interesting to follow and see how it pans out however.

As it is I would much rather have a PS5 :D

Soldato

It might fail. Nobody is saying that it will. It might work out fine. But it's certainly a high risk proposition, even compared to other new consoles that have launched previously.

RE Price: These are AAA games that will be available so why would you expect any different?

Take The Outer Worlds as an example:

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP4829-CUSA13689_00-THEOUTERWORLDSPO

It's £49.99 on the PlayStation Store, the Xbox Store, and on the Epic Games Store. Going by Phil Harrison's comments, it would also be £49.99 on Stadia.

Or you can get it on disc on PS4/Xbox for £41.99. Or the PC key for £38.49. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare has an even bigger price difference; around £15.

At £119 for the hardware + £8.49/month for the subscription + RRP games, Stadia isn't going to be a cheap way to game. Stadia Base, with existing hardware (e.g. PC or Android phone) is a different prospect, obviously. But that hasn't even been demoed yet, and without the WiFi controller could perform quite similarly to other streaming services.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom