1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GordyR's Beginners Guide to Bodybuilding

Discussion in 'Sports Arena' started by GordyR, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Begbie

Capodecina

Get there earlier, change your workout times, throw them out the way, wait longer.

Excuses.

2. mrthingyx

Man of Honour

Deficit Bulgarian split squats if you think you're hard.

Pretty much. I changed my times to come in at 7am in the morning (work gym) to use the blocks and racks. It sucks, but it gets me where I want to be. :D

3. Hatter The Mad

Sgarrista

While I am glad you had the opportunity to act out your fantasy of being a motivator-man, none of that addresses my question, thank you!

4. LiE

Capodecina

Have you asked to work in with whoever is using the rack? I've never had a problem doing this.

In the meantime, you can do goblet squats and as mrthingyx said DBSS. These aren't really replacements for squat, nothing really is.

5. Hatter The Mad

Sgarrista

No - it is simply an oversubscribed, small community trust gym. Consistently there will be two or three workout groups of two or three people. If it were singles it wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the tips! Like I said, I'm moving gym and it will be to tide me over. I'll check those out.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  6. Moley

Mobster

So after years of procrastinating and putting it off, I've joined a local Gym (10 mins walk from my new house) and on Friday started the 5x5 Stronglifts program. I've always hated physical exercise if I'm honest, but having just done my third session I have to say I'm really enjoying myself. I've just passed my 47th birthday and I'm determined to be fit, healthy and strong for my 50th. I wish someone had knocked it into my thick skull years ago that training with free weights is a hell of a lot more satisfying and enjoyable than those damned machines! :D

7. Nate--IRL--

Mobster

Delighted to see this Thread re-stickied - it genuinely changed my life.

Keep at it Moley, you be very glad you did.

Nate

8. jsmoke

Soldato

Its hard to motivate so much pain for what reason?

9. tom_e

Man of Honour

What?

10. jsmoke

Soldato

What's the main motivation for bodybuilding, too look good?

I have a barbel here and trying to motivate myself to do curls etc.

11. tom_e

Man of Honour

Look good, feel good, build strength, the challenge to push and improve yourself all depends on what you want out of it to be honest.

12. jsmoke

Soldato

Its tribal stuff though?

I'm bigger and tougher than you sort of thing?

13. tom_e

Man of Honour

If that's what you want to get out of it. Although people with that attitude normally come unstuck pretty soon after meeting a smaller person who just doesn't give a ****.

14. jsmoke

Soldato

How much can you guys barbell curl?

15. strumpusplunket

Mobster

I think you're over focusing on curls, tbh.

The biceps are a small muscle relative to your while body, and focusing on the bigger compound movements first is advised. I have never bothered with curls except at the end of a "pull" workout to get the feeling of finishing off my arms.

You don't say if you've also got a bench, or how much weight you have, but if I just had a barbell to work with, I'd concentrate on:

Deadlifts
    Hack squats
    Bench press (perhaps floor press until you get a bench)
    Barbell rows
    Military press

Also bodyweight exercises like pull ups and dips are very good.

That will do you far better than curls.

16. e36Adz

Capodecina

Hi all. For a twice a week-er, what would you guys recommend I do at the gym?

Background: Played footy for years, will still be playing once or twice a week so no cardio required. I'm in my late 30s, roughly 6ft tall and about 75kg, 20% bodyfat. Started going gym 2 weeks ago, want to stick at it. Will only realistically be able to go twice a week, Mondays and Thursdays.

Aims: Increase overall strength and fitness. I went to a mini ninja warrior course last week and it highlighted how unfit I was, couldn't even swing on the monkey bars, I can't hold my body weight with my left arm :/ right arm just about managed. Will be going back every few weeks and I'm hoping to notice inprovements.

The lads I go with go more often than me so do chest and triceps one day etc but they can get everything in, I can't. How would you split your 2 days?

I plan to do a bit of leg workouts on both days tbh, not really going for cardio. Would like to hit about 15% bodyfat and 80-85kg?

I always finish with 2 or 3 laps swimming and sauna/steamroom. Any particular order I should do those in? Thanks in advance.

17. DarkShadow

Capodecina

Salaams dude,

Your options are full body or upper/lower split. I would opt for U/L for variety and recovery. Accessories ultimately depend on how much time you have, so feel free to add additional movements. For compounds, I would progress in a linear fashion 3x5 will work well. Accesories 3/4 x 12.

Upper:
    Compounds: Bench, dips and Pullups
    Accessories: 2 Pull (1 arms), 1 push

Lower:
    Compounds: Squat and Deads
    Choose 2 Legs Accessories

What's really going to make physical changes is your diet. Start cleaning up your diet and stay consistent.