Got new OLED TV (LG C8). What's FIRST thing I should watch???

Soldato
Planet Earth 2, Stranger Things and The Grand Tour.

The Grand Tour might be a surprise choice, but, I watch it on Amazon Prime and it looks absolutely amazing on OLED.

Soldato
OP
It sounds like he's getting a wireless provider, such as Relish, so distance to the exchange doesn't matter and those services can be OK for anything other than twitch gaming. Still, if the maximum is 25Mbps, I would assume it is going to consistently fall short.

Correct. Im now considering going with a wireless provider, like relish. Called STIX. Their lowest monthly price provides 25Mbps. They have faster speeds on offer, but for more money obviously.

Fibre not available where I am, which is why I’ve been using Standard Adsl and BOOSTY 4g bonding, which nets me about 12Mbps on average.

Thought I’d explained all this.

Anyway thanks for the further suggestions. Have checked out some and even at ‘only’ 1080p some stuff on Netflix and amazon looks amazing. Particularly with hdr too. Jack Ryan on amazon looks particularly good, uses Dolby vision also.

Last edited:
Soldato
noticed the kodi samples site has some dolby vision samples,
however like the aforementioned lg/sony/samsung 4k samples ( which you can compare between utube 20's Mb/s and high cholesterol 60/70 version )
can you get regular hdr versions too, to see if you can notice the difference or your money back

Soldato
OP
Tested gaming on it today for the first time. Jesus Christ - this is what I'm talking about! Fired up Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 pro. The sumptuous black levels and the HDR, plus the new dynamic tone mapping feature on the LG C8 are breathtakingly good.

I'm just worried now that gaming on my PC is going to feel somewhat washed out, and I thought my x34 superwide was the king of screens. As primarily a PC gamer, this puts me in trouble a bit ;) Damn you OLED.

I must say though, either I need my eyes testing (which is a possibility), but the '4k thing' isn't wowing me yet at all, no where near as much as the general OLED and HDR business.
I know most ps4 pro games aren't 'true' 4k, but in HZD switching between performance mode (1080p I believe) and the full res version, I really can't tell that much difference. I'm sat about 8-9 feet away, and the screen is only 55", but even moving to within 4 feet or so, I couldn't tell a huge difference.

Is the C8 that good at upscaling, or are my eyes ******? I guess I'm used to sitting 2 feet from my PC screen...

Soldato
It used to average around 25mbps which what they recommended several years ago, since they reworked the compression ratio 4k now maxes at 15.26mbps.
don't they just require a higher bitrate BB @25Mb/s than the video itself at 15.26Mb/s so it can be delivered/packed efficiently and buffered ahead, otherwise, maybe limited by the speed of their servers(akami whatever cloud they use) you can get buffer under-run., or, it may DASH take the 1080p hdr stream, in retaliation.

they can in cahoots with BB suppliers, evaluate bandwith and dowgrade stream if you only had 20Mb/s, say, even if it might be adequate. ... which the bbc seem to do on their streams.

Caporegime
gotta be stupidest thread i've ever seen on here.

watch whatever you want to watch surely?

as in if i was to ask. just bought a frying pan. what should i cook in it? the answer would be whatever i want to eat. there is no point in me cooking a steak if i don't like steak.

oh OP you should go watch eastenders and coronation street. top it off with jeremy kyle and judge rinder.

Soldato
[ ... the more metaphysical question is why you brought the frying pan, as opposed to a microwave or rice-cooker
although a 4k/hdr tv becomes a fait accompli, due to declining availibility of sdr/fhd tv, the consideration of what do I want to watch that requires that upgrade is a reason I did not yet take the jump, expense of the physical media and analogies that the 4k streaming experience is like a physical blu-ray 'in the hand' beeing dissuasive. .. i don't game.

]

continuing with a frypan seasoning analogy I might run some of the dirty screen checkers on a new oled too you expect it to be perfect ... put it through it's paces

Soldato

as in if i was to ask. just bought a frying pan. what should i cook in it? the answer would be whatever i want to eat. there is no point in me cooking a steak if i don't like steak.

oh OP you should go watch eastenders and coronation street. top it off with jeremy kyle and judge rinder.

I mean you make a valid point in some ways but I think he meant things to visually showcase his new OLED, what the content is probably less important than the aesthetic quality.

It's probably a thread that has been done before but more people than the OP can get something out of it.

On topic, Altered Carbon is a very good OLED showcase I find.

This is pretty good too! Especially from 2:30

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Do you think, just possibly, I might have been asking what footage is out there (given the huge variety of sources and quality), that - for the FIRST time I see it - will BEST fully showcase the technical abilities of an oled screen, that’s 4k and has various implementations of hdr? Considering I’ve upgraded from a 5 year old 1080p led tv. Hmm?

Cretin.

Last edited:
Caporegime
But what is the point in watching something that you don't want to watch just because it shows what it can do?

As in why cook a steak if you are vegetarian?

Watch whatever you want to watch.

Watching demos is pointless. My friend was showing off his 75" TV to me using demos and I was like yeah demos aren't realistic content. Stick a movie on. It looked terrible in comparison to the demos.

Just watch what you like to watch and enjoy it. You are overthinking this

Soldato
OP
^ if you genuinely can’t grasp the simple concept of what I’m asking, I suspect underthinking might be something you excel at.

Anyway, back on topic. Turns out lots of the suggestions so far are great, and, shock horror, are actually things I’d like to watch. A good chunk of the 4k hdr sections on Netflix and amazon have some decent stuff.

As said, the biggest impression made on me so far is the general contrast and true blacks of oled, and hdr.
Anything with Dolby vision looks utterly lovely. Hdr10 also great but not quite as impressive.

See, this is why I was asking for recommendations as hdr use and variety in content out there is inconsistent, and even finding stuff isn’t always obvious.

Jack Ryan on amazon for example. If you search for it it only shows up the sdr 1080p version. You have to tiresomely find the 4k hdr section manually, buried way down in the menus that you could easily miss and play it from there. And it looks superb in Dolby vision. And is something I want to watch. Understand!?

Also, this is a sub forum of a pc hardware enthusiast website. You don’t think it’s full of blokes that want to put their new piece of hardware through its paces and see what it can really do?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom