Got new OLED TV (LG C8). What's FIRST thing I should watch???

Soldato
OP
In my testing the Netflix app maxes out at just over 15MB for 4K content. That's on a Virgin Media 350MB connection.

It used to average around 25mbps which what they recommended several years ago, since they reworked the compression ratio 4k now maxes at 15.26mbps.

Thanks for confirming that, tallies with what I've read elsewhere but the info is sketchy at best.

I've signed up with the 5Ghz wireless provider I was talking about, they are coming to install a mini dish receiver etc this weekend. They assure me that they hit their promised speeds 99% of the time and upgrade capacity as necessary, so their cheapest 25Mbps package should be fine for my needs. It's a rolling monthly payment system (no contract) so if they're **** I'll sack it and have to think again.

Interestingly my current set up (basic ADSL and Boosty 4G bonding) can hit 1440p at 6Mbps at times in Netflix (checking the info stats using the LG ios app. V annoying there's no info button on the remote!). However, it doesn't maintain it consistently and drops back to 1080p at 4.3 - 5.4Mbps mostly. My connection can easily do 6Mbps so I wonder why it doesn't stick? Buffer/ headroom issues? 'Boosty' is very inconsistent and tends to operate in 'bursts', so it's probably that as my max ADSL speed on its own is only 4Mbps.

Last edited:
Soldato
Erm.... With a 12mb Internet speed, unless your getting a 4k player and discs I'd say you've wasted your cash.
You can still download, I had a slow connection at one point but that didn't stop me enjoying movies/games, you just have to be patient with the downloads.

Caporegime
^ if you genuinely can’t grasp the simple concept of what I’m asking, I suspect underthinking might be something you excel at.

Anyway, back on topic. Turns out lots of the suggestions so far are great, and, shock horror, are actually things I’d like to watch. A good chunk of the 4k hdr sections on Netflix and amazon have some decent stuff.

As said, the biggest impression made on me so far is the general contrast and true blacks of oled, and hdr.
Anything with Dolby vision looks utterly lovely. Hdr10 also great but not quite as impressive.

See, this is why I was asking for recommendations as hdr use and variety in content out there is inconsistent, and even finding stuff isn’t always obvious.

Jack Ryan on amazon for example. If you search for it it only shows up the sdr 1080p version. You have to tiresomely find the 4k hdr section manually, buried way down in the menus that you could easily miss and play it from there. And it looks superb in Dolby vision. And is something I want to watch. Understand!?

Also, this is a sub forum of a pc hardware enthusiast website. You don’t think it’s full of blokes that want to put their new piece of hardware through its paces and see what it can really do?

you don't know how to work the app then.

i can find the 4k section on my LG 4k HDR tv on the amazon app within 5 seconds.

it's also as simple as finding that section and then finding stuff you like within the very small list that it is.

but you know some people need the internet to hold their hand through the simplest of things. even a 8 year old can work the app.

same goes for netflix. all you need to do is type 4k into the search and all the 4k content appears. amazing as if it's magic.

Soldato

i can find the 4k section on my LG 4k HDR tv on the amazon app within 5 seconds.

it's also as simple as finding that section and then finding stuff you like within the very small list that it is.

but you know some people need the internet to hold their hand through the simplest of things. even a 8 year old can work the app.

same goes for netflix. all you need to do is type 4k into the search and all the 4k content appears. amazing as if it's magic.

You really need to lighten up a bit, lots of people have complained about the 4k content on Prime not being on the home screen.

Caporegime
You really need to lighten up a bit, lots of people have complained about the 4k content on Prime not being on the home screen.

it's not about lightening up it's the fact that it seems like a lot more people these days cannot grasp simple things. it's like me saying i just bought a ps4 pro or a 1080ti. what games will make it shine. it's pointless me asking for recommendations if they aren't things i would normally buy and play.

all he had to do was go into the tv and movie section and spend 5 minutes looking through it. or spend 5 minutes on his tv looking through the available apps.

or a simple google like this

https://www.whathifi.com/features/13-best-4k-films-and-tv-shows-to-watch-your-new-oled-tv

https://www.whathifi.com/features/best-4k-movies-and-tv-shows-to-watch-right-now

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/where-and-how-to-watch-4k-uhd-content/

https://www.stuff.tv/features/what-watch-in-4k

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/television/10-best-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-in-the-world-today-1198304

i mean it isn't a question that needs answering ever. people want stuff to show off the black levels or HDR. what is the point? it's detracting from the main thing. enjoying the content for what it is. do you go into a cinema and say you know what i really want to watch this film, however i think we should go for this other one because it's made for the big screen even though it's not what i wanted to watch. no you watch what you want to watch. if you need recommendations you google them or go on IMDB.

Soldato
What is the point huh the point is some of us want the best possible we can get out of content, I'm buying a oppo 203 4k player because I want the best possible player on the market to give superior pic quality over a bog standard player.

Caporegime
What is the point huh the point is some of us want the best possible we can get out of content, I'm buying a oppo 203 4k player because I want the best possible player on the market to give superior pic quality over a bog standard player.

yeah you bought a blu ray player to do that. like he bought a tv.

the difference is you aren't going to ask on here what blu rays you should be buying. because you should be buying what you want to buy.

i think you have missed the whole point.

Soldato
if you need recommendations you google them or go on IMDB.
or ask on OC ;) that was too easy ... a one stop shop ?
interesting reviews here on music and movies, if, from previous reviews here, you know they coincide with your own taste, then no need to wade through the internet swamp, life is too short.

I saw the crown won BAFTA awards yesterday -accolades all over the web - because it appealed to the USA audience ?

PS: isn't w*a*h*f* publication a swear word.

Soldato
OP

Are you on your period?

Soldato
Let's just close all the forums, Psycho Sonny has veto'd all forms of conversation that he deems inappropriate. Never mind the fact that multiple websites exist to discuss a) the quality of a release, it's transfer/mastering etc. b) more than a few exist to review movies (their actual content) and have discussion on them.

Heaven forbid someone excited about their new purchase should make a thread to enquire about such things. Google exists, therefor everything else is null and void. Forums switch off at 14:00, put the lights out when you leave will ya? :)

Did I bite? I bit. Gah.

Soldato
OP
I don't post much on the forums these days, so not had the pleasure of 'conversing' with the individual before.

I was genuinely wandering if he has Asperger's syndrome or something. The tone of his input and blinkered dogmatic thinking....

Or maybe he's just a ****? Probably the latter. Can't stand people that wade into discussion threads and try to de-rail them like this. Would they go up to a group of strangers in a pub talking about football and shout "but I don't like football! Why are you discussing the merits of the 4-4-2 formation!? This information - though why you would want to discuss it is beyond me - could be found by simply googling it!"

No, of course they wouldn't. It's an interesting psychology though...

Last edited:
Soldato
If you have an Xbox one or 4K player the Planet Earth II and Blue Planet 4K discs will blow you away. By far the best image quality I have ever seen tbh.....

Associate
If you have an Xbox one or 4K player the Planet Earth II and Blue Planet 4K discs will blow you away. By far the best image quality I have ever seen tbh.....

4k always seems to shine when viewing stills so I think those benefit in particular from lots of lovely wideangle slow motion shots.

Associate
yeah you bought a blu ray player to do that. like he bought a tv.

the difference is you aren't going to ask on here what blu rays you should be buying. because you should be buying what you want to buy.

i think you have missed the whole point.

Out of curiosity, what is your point? I don't see you making a point anywhere - you just look for petty arguments all over this forum.

"he doesn't need to make a forum post about it" - you don't need to reply? I don't need to reply to you? you don't need to reply to this (but you will)

let's all just sit at home in the dark and never communicate with anyone, you can google it right?

Soldato
If you have an Xbox one or 4K player the Planet Earth II and Blue Planet 4K discs will blow you away.
just looked - netflix our planet should be out in spring 2019, to try for that crown, hopefully 50/60fps too, since if you do look at utube 60fps 4k material eg leopards, waves, etc. you can see the difference vs 24fps Pe2 crashing waves episode start scene.
a potential disc pre-order .... but I don't know whether 4k discs are a strong part of netflix strategy, or the drm is too problematic.

Back
Top Bottom