Government to consider banning smoking in pub gardens etc..

Sunak was looking to do a rolling age ban on cigarettes anyway so it's hardly a partisan issue.

As for "all the pubs will close down", like all businesses, you have to move with the times or get left behind and since the younger generation don't particularaly look like they want to drink alcohol as much as previous generations, I think they are going to have to adapt or die anyway.

I smoke but don’t consider this a big deal. I never see anyone smoking in the pub gardens nowadays unless it’s an old man/boomer pub.

I’m quite impressed at how much more sensible younger generations are when it comes to smoking, it seems to have no appeal to them and the “it looks cool to smoke” narrative that existed when we were younger is firmly in the bin.

Smoking is now very uncool, which is a big change for the better.

Last edited:
It's a distraction, this isn't on anyone's list of priorities.
Indeed, but after the announcement of the winter fuel allowance being cut for 10M pensioners and now this, one has to wonder who’s advising him on these policies, when there’s far far bigger issues to deal with.
He clearly doesn’t care one jot about who he’s upsetting.

Last edited:
I smoke but don’t consider this a big deal. I never see anyone smoking in the pub gardens nowadays unless it’s an old man/boomer pub.

I’m quite impressed at how much more sensible younger generations are when it comes to smoking, it seems to have no appeal to them and the “it looks cool to smoke” narrative that existed when we were younger is firmly in the bin.

Smoking might be uncool for youngsters, but now they just go straight to vaping. I'm not sure that's progress really.

Smoking might be uncool for youngsters, but now they just go straight to vaping. I'm not sure that's progress really.

Its not great but it is at least an improvement on smoking, everyone I know who went from smoking to vaping has had a notable increase in how healthy they feel. So whilst vaping is almost certainly not good for you it's certainly a lesser evil than smoking imo.

The only person I remember seeing going outside for a smoke in the pub the other night was bar staff. Sensationalist nonsense. Stopping the 13% from smoking in beer gardens for two weeks a year won't be the thing that closes pubs.

Its not great but it is at least an improvement on smoking, everyone I know who went from smoking to vaping has had a notable increase in how healthy they feel. So whilst vaping is almost certainly not good for you it's certainly a lesser evil than smoking imo.
That might be true, I just can't understand why youngsters would even bother with it. I assume to be 'cool' like all their friends. I will point out smoking never interested me so that may bias me.

No issue with this.
If it was a vote thing I'd vote for it. It's not a priority but I agree with the ban.

I'm all for banning smoking for kids. The thing where they raise the smoking age every year by a year.

I a country where we have an NHS it just isn't necessary. If we had 100pc private health care? Crack on.

That might be true, I just can't understand why youngsters would even bother with it. I assume to be 'cool' like all their friends. I will point out smoking never interested me so that may bias me.

Sociology experts study things like that and I think the basics of it are something like economic background, attitudes, parentage, boredom, peer pressure and that king of thing.

Who knows. In 20 years may find it's even worse for cancer than smoking.

Apparently drinking is down quite heavily too.
Not sure how much of that is money reasons vs more awareness of health

Back
Top Bottom