Government to consider banning smoking in pub gardens etc..

Sounds EXACTLY like the same minority who said smoking in cars with kids in them was necessary, or people who had to travel in vehicles for work that people would smoke in.

This is sure to raise a few regressives blood pressure, will Starmer not think about the NHS having to deal with that ;)

Last edited:
As the population who smokes dwindles there will be less and less resistance to this type of change. It's probably only going to irk a very small minority anyway.

While I'm not really opposed to this in general, it's more the interference from the state that irks me, and over time how many more restrictions will we have applied?

As the population who smokes dwindles there will be less and less resistance to this type of change. It's probably only going to irk a very small minority anyway.

Precisely the reason it can be left. It's not a massive issue that needs tackling and will fall away as time goes on. I'm assuming the Sunak "anyone born after *whatever year here* will never be able to legally buy cigarettes." policy is continuing under this new government, which will ensure the further drop off in smoking in general.

Will this cover vaping as well?

Should do, as far as I can see everything that applied to tobacco has applied to vapes in terms of where you can do it.

While I'm not really opposed to this in general, it's more the interference from the state that irks me, and over time how many more restrictions will we have applied?

Precisely the reason it can be left. It's not a massive issue that needs tackling and will fall away as time goes on. I'm assuming the Sunak "anyone born after *whatever year here* will never be able to legally buy cigarettes." policy is continuing under this new government, which will ensure the further drop off in smoking in general.

Should do, as far as I can see everything that applied to tobacco has applied to vapes in terms of where you can do it.

I think I'd they did it to anything significant (like banning bright leggings in public) it would cause too much of a fuss.

These tinkering are something I'd support, but waaaay down on list of priorities.

Loving your country means smoking fags in pub gardens?
I would suggest pubs and their pub gardens are something quintessentially British and most evocative of British life. I have many joyous memories of pubs and pub gardens, sitting outside the back door of a pub in Yarm with my Grandad as he smokes Woodbines is a memory of him I'll always cherish. Chipping away at the survival of pubs is decidely nanny-ish and shows a lack of love for what makes Britain. The Labour Party is the natural home of the metropoltian snob these days. Next they'll be telling us that Yvette "Stasi" Cooper wants the police to record more non crimes in it's secret files, imagine that......

Very much anti smoking but I have no issue with people smoking outside in a beer garden!

They have missed the mark by a country mile here, the mark is vaping which needs banning completely outside of limited use cases on prescription.

The NHS thing is a joke, my uncle smoked 60/day, contributed tens of thousands through taxation, some of which was spent on his pre death care but I very much feel he left a positive financial balance.

They should just have a smoking "shed" in the corner of the car park to do the dirty habit. As others have said, there's nothing worse than sitting outside in a lovely pub garden while the suns shining and then having a thick waft of cloud smelling of butterscotch drift across your table to the point you can't even see your other half sitting across from you.

Back
Top Bottom