• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** GPU Hierarchy ***

Caporegime
Quite a parrot statement tbh retorting these games, I seen that before but you are quite right to mention it as its suitable for the narrative.

Except those aren't the only games.....

Of the top of my head where nvidia gain a decent lead:

- dl 2
- metro ee
- guardians of the galaxy
- doom eternal
- bright memory infinite
- crysis games
- sword and fairy 7
- ghostwire Tokyo
- chernobylite

Hopefully the RT elden ring is getting is good too.

But as said in another thread:

Besides, all a bit pointless comparing RT between the brands now imo, since RDNA 2 doesn't appear to even render RT properly/full in the first place.

Factor in that they also don't gain anywhere as much fps in RT scenarios with FSR 1 (time will tell if FSR 2 suffers the same fate) compared to DLSS, which further puts them behind in the perf.

The debunker does it again *mic drop* :cool: :D :p

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
If i didn't know better i would look at this GPU Hierarchy and think anything from AMD above the 6700XT is junky overpriced crap. As it says in it, 3070TI tier stuff, maintaining the narrative that AMD don't make top tier cards, just over priced cards.

The 6800 non XT was the best value and nicely better spec than the 6700. The volume of this was quite low I think, maybe that meant the yields were good, dunno. If RT had not been a distraction these cards would have been great, however pricing them around the 30 series counterparts seems to have been a step too far this gen. Not even a game code or bundle to sweeten that blow! :D

Soldato
This all seems to hinge on perceived value. If you're not fussed about RT yet, you prioritize higher frame rates, there are plenty of options. If I wanted the best RT performance it would be Nvidia no question, but if it's rasterisation performance then it's just down to preference.

Reactions: TNA
Caporegime
This all seems to hinge on perceived value. If you're not fussed about RT yet, you prioritize higher frame rates, there are plenty of options. If I wanted the best RT performance it would be Nvidia no question, but if it's rasterisation performance then it's just down to preference.

I wouldn't buy anything Nvidia from this gen because their limited VRam is built in obsolescence, they don't have much of a trouble free future, that for me overrides everything. i'm not paying £500+ for something that's going to become E-Waste sooner than necessary.

Soldato
I wouldn't buy anything Nvidia from this gen because their limited VRam is built in obsolescence, they don't have much of a trouble free future, that for me overrides everything. i'm not paying £500+ for something that's going to become E-Waste sooner than necessary.
Whilst I wouldn't disagree again it depends if you buy with the intention to keep it for a few years or you upgrade every generation. If you're a serial upgrader the VRAM won't really be an issue. Most of the disagreement I see is just people with different priorities, budgets and expectations.

Reactions: TNA
Permabanned
With FSR2 and RT games becoming more optimised for AMD that's increasingly no longer true, sure you can point at Cyberpunk and Control but how much longer are we going to go on pointing at those games while ignoring everything else?

m4JfgGH.png

Didn't someone already post, perhaps very recently, that F1 2021's RT was so bad that it was missable. FC6 was quarter resolution and again very limited, as mentioned in one of HUB's videos. I need to go back to RE Village, but at launch I found it hard to beleive it had any realtime RT at all. That leaves just Deathloop and again it's certainly no showcase for what RT can do today.

3Dmark is the goto for rasterisation so why not use it's raytracing benchmark also? https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...eature-test-port-royal-bench-thread.18838895/

Caporegime
Woohoo! my 780Ti hits the minimum specs.
50742439143_e3d8873318_o_d.gif
A friend of mine is rocking 780ti’s in SLI, he predominantly plays Project Cars 2, and at 5760x1080 (Nvidia Surround over 3 screens) they still cut the mustard!

Associate
Going back to the chart could I suggest that the 2 best cards (1 AMD, 1 Nvidia) that require only a single power connection be marked as such? Ditto the top two slot powered only cards?

Also, more details on the tier differences would be appriciated?

Caporegime
6900 XT in the same tier as the 3070, let alone Ti? Oh boy, is this thread sponsored by Userbenchmark?

There is something in that, Userbenchmark and Principle Technologies are the last stand in trying and failing to maintain the status quo RE: Intel - AMD, they are the remnants of the "but you only need 4 cores" apologists, the mass crowd of that lot no longer dare to shill for Intel in this way because they are so categorically beaten, but these two hang on with bleeding fingernails like true zealots.

Brand zealots are very bad news for all of us, we had a decade of 4 core CPU's with marginal incremental upgrades and then AMD smashed the status quo, as a result of THAT we have had 4X the advancement in 3 years than we had for the decade of the Intel status quo.

I've said it before, AMD need to come at the GPU space in the same way they went at the CPU space with Ryzen, categorically faster, cheaper, more power efficient, leave absolutely nothing for anyone to latch on to because give them an inch and they will run with it to its most extreme in trying to maintain the Nvidia status quo.

This is how they are stacked against eachother.

RTX 3090TI - _____
RTX 3090 - _____
RTX 3080TI - _____
RTX 3080 - _____
RTX Titan - _____
RTX 3070TI - RX 6900XT
RTX 3070 - RX 6800XT
RTX 2080TI - RX 6800

AMD's GPU's are / have:
More power efficient
Below the 3090 have more VRam, this matters for games with HD texture packs and GPU longevity.
Similar rasterisation performance from top to bottom.
Generally lower cost vs Nvidia equivalents.

They have a lot going for them, the one minus is at the high end RT performance is only in the 3070 class.
If you look at where this chart has them ranked it has the highest end AMD GPU ranked the same as the RTX 3070TI, its RT performance, everything else is ignored.

As i said, AMD need to stop messing around or the status quo will be maintained and we all suffer for it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
^^

If we're talking about gaming only and rasterization workloads then rdna 2 is defo better but for RT scenarios, amperes performance per watt is better.

All amd need to do is get FSR 2 out and as good or at least almost as good as dlss and match nvidia in RT and they will be a more viable product in gamers eyes then. Price wise, amd have shown that they're no longer a "budget" brand, they are charging in the same ballpark as nvidia equivalent cards with the exception of the utter flagship model i.e. 6900xt vs 3090

Don
OP
6900 XT in the same tier as the 3070, let alone Ti? Oh boy, is this thread sponsored by Userbenchmark?
Nope, I've made it perfectly clear that the starting point was the table that logical increments used.

I've not heard anything convincing though that would make me think 6900XT should be a top tier card?
The only arguments so far have relied on how irrelevant Raytracing is, despite the elite tier clearly being aimed at those who absolutely want the best, and can support all of the latest cutting edge tech.

If I had to recommend a money no object PC to someone, would I pick a 6900XT knowing that it underperforms in ray tracing?

Maybe there actually needs to be a tier inserted under A, the 6900XT/6800XT moved up to that, and the 3080Ti moved down to that? Leaving the 3090Ti/3090 as elite tier (presumably with the 6950 if it arrives?), and the 6800 left matching up against 3080, 3070Ti and 3070?

Edit:
I've done it anyway - added a Tier and moved the 6900XT/6800XT/3080Ti/3080

Last edited:
Associate
Edit:
I've done it anyway - added a Tier and moved the 6900XT/6800XT/3080Ti/3080

That's a fair compromise. I get your point about the Elite tier but when in the vast majority of games the 6900 XT offers far superior performance to the RTX 3070 it's just hard to accept it belonging in the same category. Which is also why I can see why it's hard to accept the former in the Elite category, falling short by such a margin in RT scenarios.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom