• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU panic selling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The same was said last time round and it never really materialised.

Yeah it did. Thing is last time every one was using RX 470s and 480s due to the bang for buck. People were also using Vega cards, but obviously there weren't that many of those around to buy in the first place. Once mining was done? there was an enormous flood of 470s and 480s. I remember some guy buying like, 10 of the silver Sapphire 470s for about £40 each. This time it is different though. Beefier cards were the call of the day. I read that even though it seems there aren't that many Ampere cards around there are. Supply has actually been very good, but it can't meet demand. At some point those cards will be on the market. No doubt. Who would want to keep 30 of them?

It's not so much the fans running etc etc that worries me about mining cards. It's the humidity. You should see the state of some of them. Boards have turned almost white due to all of the flux on the boards getting damp. It's not so much what is being done on the cards but the conditions it is being done in. Especially in China. I remember seeing this video where they set up mining warehouses next to a river so they could hose the place down to keep it cool etc.

At least on here (In the MM) people are very honest about cards that have been mined on and sell them for prices that reflect that. Problem is the ones on that horrible auction site. They will never admit that.

My Vega 64 was a bit of a dog. It couldn't overclock at all. Not even 5mhz, it would just pink screen. It ran hot, and it wasn't great. That said at £210? it was still a bargain and I gamed on it for 14 months before I sold it and got my money back.

Associate
It's not so much the fans running etc etc that worries me about mining cards. It's the humidity. You should see the state of some of them. Boards have turned almost white due to all of the flux on the boards getting damp. It's not so much what is being done on the cards but the conditions it is being done in. Especially in China. I remember seeing this video where they set up mining warehouses next to a river so they could hose the place down to keep it cool etc.
I would have though that due to them being warm/hot they shouldn't get much humidity. That is to say, just about any other surface near them should be the dew point. But maybe in a place with RH near 100% that might not be case. Don't know.
Watercooling with hoses! What could go wrong?!?

Permabanned
yeah just checked that well known auction site there were about 16 3080FE's when I looked last monday there are now 184. Although could just be that there were drops last week and these are the ones from the last drop. So no normality just scalpers. Although noticed one receipt said Nov 2020.

I think the biggest tell tale sign will be when 3080's drop below £1000. Until then reserve judgement.

:cry::cry: Can't wait to see the look on scaplers faces when they are thousands out of pocket :cry:

Permabanned
On that auction site you can click the 'Sold' items in left column during search results.
And it shows two 3090 FEs sold today for £1840.
After eBay/PayPal fees that leaves just £200 profit? All that scalping effort for £200?

Also the cost of insured postage will be £50 and risk from bad buyers and Scalpe messers on the site is high!

Associate
I wouldn't say its miners selling them off more likely scalpers, I mean the few I own have already paid for themselves and some so even though the price is low on mining at the moment it's still pure profit (after leccy) for me to stop mining it would probably have to fall another 30-40% then it's not really worth it. I can imagine some scalpers are starting to feel uneasy though.

Permabanned
I was thinking the drop off in activity in this forum the last week or so is a pretty good indicator of the state of the market. The frenzy and panic is dying down.

I have been seeing that it is all scalped gaming items that are coming down in price, so this is due to lockdown ending and people realising the madness they have taken part in.

I wouldn't say its miners selling them off more likely scalpers, I mean the few I own have already paid for themselves and some so even though the price is low on mining at the moment it's still pure profit (after leccy) for me to stop mining it would probably have to fall another 30-40% then it's not really worth it. I can imagine some scalpers are starting to feel uneasy though.

Scalpers are grief-stricken so unloading their stock. This will soon be at a loss :cry: Because the said site takes a 10% cut off any sales leaving the scalper at a well deserved loss.

It was disgusting seeing the bay turn into an unofficial etailer of FE cards?

Last edited:
Associate
I have been seeing that it is all scalped gaming items that are coming down in price, so this is due to lockdown ending and people realising the madness they have taken part in.

Scalpers are grief-stricken so unloading their stock. This will soon be at a loss :cry: Because the said site takes a 10% cut off any sales leaving the scalper at a well deserved loss.

No going to argue that one, The ones I paid for if I sell them will be sold at cost or less if the supply is good, scalpers in my opinion can go *** themselves.

Associate
Yeah it did. Thing is last time every one was using RX 470s and 480s due to the bang for buck. People were also using Vega cards, but obviously there weren't that many of those around to buy in the first place. Once mining was done? there was an enormous flood of 470s and 480s. I remember some guy buying like, 10 of the silver Sapphire 470s for about £40 each. This time it is different though. Beefier cards were the call of the day. I read that even though it seems there aren't that many Ampere cards around there are. Supply has actually been very good, but it can't meet demand. At some point those cards will be on the market. No doubt. Who would want to keep 30 of them?

At least on here (In the MM) people are very honest about cards that have been mined on and sell them for prices that reflect that. Problem is the ones on that horrible auction site. They will never admit that.

My Vega 64 was a bit of a dog. It couldn't overclock at all. Not even 5mhz, it would just pink screen. It ran hot, and it wasn't great. That said at £210? it was still a bargain and I gamed on it for 14 months before I sold it and got my money back.
470 and 80 were rubbish cards to begin with. However the current cards are excellent for gaming so doubt the prices will fall

Associate

closer to 14% now if the paypal link has ended or is that the end of the month

Soldato
Example of an idiot on discord earlier today...

Today at 3:08 PM [Selling] RTX 3070 vision OC - £900 RTX 3070 aorus Master - £975 Gigabyte etc 3060 OC - £575 Evga RTX 3060 - £550 Gainward RTX 3060 - £600 Gainward RTX 3080 - £1400 Based in London. Not trying to profit, just crappy (RETAILER NAME REMOVED) prices. Shipping is extra. All brand new.

He was trying to sell all that as new sealed goods from another retailer and said they wouldn't take them back after 7 days, not going to say retailers name , but the retailer has 14 days to take them back in and I know for a fact this retailer even took a 3090 back from me after 14 days as I didn't like it and was used and even told them I had updated the bios to latest too.

Now this guy above stated he even called them and they said 7 days return, but when we showed him their return policy he still tried to state that was not true and well he got banned in the end and the other important thing he didn't realise is a good few of them cards have not been up on that retailers site in months and most have not been up in the last 7 days...

So this is your typical miner now panicing to sell the cards and even said they were sealed and not used which is BS, or he's a scalper and now realising he will not get his money back.

So step with care if you guys/gals buy from such people they will tell you every lie to sell and zero warranty on an expensive purchase.

Permabanned
closer to 14% now if the paypal link has ended or is that the end of the month
They have gone morally rogue, and gone and cut out Paypal, so they get a basic fee directly and deducted from the Seller @10% commission of the item cost, at least that was what I last heard. Mixed in with packaging, and insured postage for a 1k plus card item , that just means No profit for the scalper :cry:.

I see that Etherium has taken another plunge, perhaps that has something else to do with it now that mining is no longer as profitable?
yah, I thought NVIDIA were making mining cards? That with LHR cards on the market should solve the mining aspect. So I don't mean bad for miners but they should stick to their mining cards and leave our LHR alone:o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom