• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU panic selling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
And gaming on a highly overclocked PC (drawing many hundreds of Watts) for hours every day clearly uses no electricity and is actually saving the planet :D

in the great scheme of things some people use more power with light bulbs in one room still

Associate
And yes I have a wattage meter on my PC, idle - average draw is 125-250w.

Maximum peak in stress tests 649.

Most demanding games around 450-500.

Total monthly electric cost is around £32.

If you think that compares to mining at all then you simply don't have the slightest clue about mining rigs.

Permabanned
And gaming on a highly overclocked PC (drawing many hundreds of Watts) for hours every day clearly uses no electricity and is actually saving the planet :D

I'm glad we have the spokesman for all miners right here on our OcUK forum, plus you have the inside information for the whole supply chain of GPUs.

We should feel blessed.

You realise China make up like 55% of the world's miners, and they use very unclean energy sources like coal. There are mining farms that use the same energy as entire countries. Even the electricity needed to mine bitcoin is more than used by 'entire countries' .

Then you're comparing to gaming :cry:

Associate
Miners are very affected, just look at the mining farms in China. They will loose out big.

Banning something outright is a bit more drastic than yet another bubble burst. The way this stuff works is that the difficulty goes up with prices and vice versa so it's not immediately obvious how much the payout changes.

Next month there will be a new ethereum network update that will put in a dent on this madness though. Not all the way like PoS but still significant. Probably one reason you're seeing cards on sale.

Caporegime
My annual gas and electric for 2020 was just a little over £450.

I'd happily get solar panels, except the quote I got was more than what I would save in 40+ years.
I don't think there's been a single new solar installation in my street/anywhere near me, since the subsidies were all stopped. Including new builds.

Think they've largely ditched the idea of roof-top solar in this country.

Associate
I don't think there's been a single new solar installation in my street/anywhere near me, since the subsidies were all stopped. Including new builds.

Think they've largely ditched the idea of roof-top solar in this country.

I looked up this current ECO3 thing for plebs like me ... I can get free solar panels IF I also get electric heating.

Yea no thanks.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Not sure if it happened recently or some time ago, but China has banned cryptocurrency resulting in miners there trying to sell their cards.
It doesn't use anywhere as much as mining does, and gaming PCs arent gaming 24/7.

1) Its old news, China and India regularly hold crypto bans, google it. You will find its every two years or so.
2) He is making a valid point (-Ad-) that the irony in your haste to point the finger. Kids in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Any green eco warrior will laugh at someone burning 650w to show a score in a pretend game benchmark. Check out the consoles too, 200w then the 40" telly are hardly alabaster saints when it comes to energy consumption. Kids over lockdown have been hammering 14+ hours a day gaming hard.

Gaming on PCs eats significant power in what is just creating some 'pixels on a screen game'... Both turn a lot of electricity into mainly heat and and high horse seated gamers need to realise how hypocritical they are when using the arguement....... 'Power usage is well bad for teh environment mkkaayyy'.

It really is though. Sitting in a chair consuming energy (which will be pointless to some) to stimulate the brain but generally being unproductive in society is hardly an excuse. "But.. but its them miners, they are the ones we need to hate on". It really is sad to see such rage, needs channelling into something positive.

Associate
I use 650w for maybe 5 minutes during a bench, so what?

Miners can consume multiple kwph 24/7 doing their mining.

The electrical use and costs are astronomical for mining, and many people that do it do so using electric that they don't have to pay for.

As already mentioned, the electric usage of a high end gaming PC can be neutralized with solar panels, but the government no longer wants us to have them.

Soldato
Your definition of a miner differs to mine. To me anyone who runs an algorithm to generate the tokens be it for 1 hour, 8 hours or 24 hours a day is a miner. Plenty of GPU users on these forums fall into this category. I am a miner, I mine on my GPU when I am not using it or when asleep. I first dabbled in mining a decade ago and have done so most of this time using my GPU's or CPU's. I learned a lot of stuff regarding crypto and mining over that time.

What you fail to realise is miners tame their setups to use the least amount of electric to maximise profits. They are not smashing the GPU's at 400w like you gaming, they will use half that. My full rig uses ~80w at idle. It uses 330w when mining. Yes that's right it uses less energy when left mining than your PC uses playing games.

I understand your talking about factory warehouses in China full of GPU's wasting energy, but to be a miner you could be Billy no mates in his bedroom with one GPU also. Also most electrical companies in the UK have a large proportion of their tariffs covered by 'green' sustainable energy. So guys like Billy and me.. are being no worse than you and the 'gamers' hammering 500w gaming sessions when it suits.

Soldato
I dont go hating on people without opening the broader facts if I can help it. Stake it as a victory that China has finally done something about these dirty warehouses and cheap electric that enables it.

I want to see gamers getting GPU's like most folk do. The finger pointing should be at supply chain and how bulk buying is possible in the first place. LHR cards took far too long to release, and the scalpers/retailers all played their part in abusing the system.

Caporegime
The thing is crypto is still a bad solution looking for a problem. It burns energy atm purely for people to speculate on the value of the coins produced during the burning of that energy. It serves no purpose.

Other uses of energy can at least be somewhat justified in that they produce something tangible, whether it's watching a movie or driving a car. Crypto is just burning energy so people can speculate on the value of burning that energy.

And then when you start to see PoW crypto scaling up to burn vast amounts of energy - for no real purpose - it starts to look a lot like a very bad idea indeed.

Soldato
The thing is crypto is still a bad solution looking for a problem. It burns energy atm purely for people to speculate on the value of the coins produced during the burning of that energy. It serves no purpose.

Other uses of energy can at least be somewhat justified in that they produce something tangible, whether it's watching a movie or driving a car. Crypto is just burning energy so people can speculate on the value of burning that energy.

And then when you start to see PoW crypto scaling up to burn vast amounts of energy - for no real purpose - it starts to look a lot like a very bad idea indeed.

I agree with the bold bit. Not with the rest. You will find one day that because of crypto, bitcoin and PoW there are solutions available now or are in motion to make it efficient and sustainable. All business will want to get to the holy grail of clean, low cost/sustainable energy. Some already do. In some regions of the world hydro and solar are providing power to these operations.

I cant speak for all consumers and its not great for the planet until renewables are running the plants. This can be said for 90% of humans and the actions they do all over the world - pointless travelling with flights, eating McDonalds and throwing litter on the floor. There is a big generalisation and stereotyping though regarding crypto/mining and its misinformation at its finest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom