• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU price hike

Caporegime
If Crypto has a bit of a revival, Brexit causes issues and the £/$ exchange rate continues to tank in a couple of years time you could be looking at a midrange 2060 type card being +£450-500 quite easily.

Soldato
Simple do not pay the going rate!

Been looking to replace a GTX1070 Gaming X with a more 4K capable GPU for my 2nd PC. Not going to pay more than £400-500 max (could easily do so its pocket change to me nowadays) who on earth cares about RT its a dead end tech unless all developers support it & perhaps in 3 years they will but until then why on earth do you want to pay £1K plus for a 4K GPU with RT its never ever going to be a mainstream technology UNLESS the next gen consoles support it! (which is highly unlikely as then the prices MS & Sony charge would increase rapidly). Nvidia made a massive tactical error here which may well cost them 100s of billions once AMD produce their proper next gen GPU.

Better Nvidia spent the RT R&D cost on helping developers make actual games (without RT!) or even make some themselves. Not the current scenario where they have to code the RT :rolleyes:

Associate
Cards are just ridiculously priced now I remember buying 2 980ti hof kfa2 cards for like £600 each and they was the best at the time. And now you need well into £1000 for 1

Soldato
Cards are just ridiculously priced now I remember buying 2 980ti hof kfa2 cards for like £600 each and they was the best at the time. And now you need well into £1000 for 1
GTX2060-70 or 5700XT are more than capable for 4K gaming as most PC games are now simple console ports nowadays. Even my 3 year old GTX1080 still manages very well @ 4K on recent PC games.

Anyone who pays much more than £500 is throwing a lot of money away for RTX features & little else ;) spend the difference (to full RTX) on a new CPU+X570 mobo & still have plenty of change left over for the wife to spend for you ;)

Associate
GTX2060-70 or 5700XT are more than capable for 4K gaming as most PC games are now simple console ports nowadays. Even my 3 year old GTX1080 still manages very well @ 4K on recent PC games.

Anyone who pays much more than £500 is throwing a lot of money away for RTX features & little else ;) spend the difference (to full RTX) on a new CPU+X570 mobo & still have plenty of change left over for the wife to spend for you ;)
I’ve not even played a game with rtx so I can’t really comment on it’s worth but it does seem a little crazy that 2080 to cards are going for like £1200, I mean that’s a whole pc build for that price. I did it once and grated I still use them to this day but I got 2 for that money not 1 haha

Soldato
£400-500 max (could easily do so its pocket change to me nowadays)
You felt that necessary? Interesting.

Anyway, I agree, no more than about £400 - £500 anything more just leaves a feeling of being taken for a ride.

It doesn't matter if it's within reach to pay more, it doesn't mean we should let them treat us like suckers.

Soldato
Anyway, I agree, no more than about £400 - £500 anything more just leaves a feeling of being taken for a ride.

It doesn't matter if it's within reach to pay more, it doesn't mean we should let them treat us like suckers.
This is exactly why Nvidia are pushing such high prices the few whales prepared to either pay or use their credit card to get the GPU no matter what :rolleyes: despite it offering (apart from the few RTX games) little visual difference to PS4-XB1X games!

PC gamers should in future do way more research they can have a decent 4K HDR HDTV & decent £400-500 GPU which will give way more gaming eye candy (HDR alone is a decent visual boost) than just plonking £1200 down on the high end products only Nvidia have to sell to try & recover their RTX R&D costs :rolleyes:

Soldato
This is exactly why Nvidia are pushing such high prices the few whales prepared to either pay or use their credit card to get the GPU no matter what :rolleyes: despite it offering (apart from the few RTX games) little visual difference to PS4-XB1X games!

PC gamers should in future do way more research they can have a decent 4K HDR HDTV & decent £400-500 GPU which will give way more gaming eye candy (HDR alone is a decent visual boost) than just plonking £1200 down on the high end products only Nvidia have to sell to try & recover their RTX R&D costs :rolleyes:
I was going to write something but i'd basically just be copy/pasting you so i'll just say 'agreed' :)

Soldato
Is it my idea or are used GPU's more expensive? Looking at used 106/7/8 cards and they seem to be more expensive compared to a year ago.

If people stopped buying the prices would go down, Greed is the only real reason the prices keep going up both in the pre-owned market and in the retail space, Everyone is guilty of this over the top greed that I honestly believe will end up killing the custom PC hobby and business, Profits are great right now but things that burn very brightly tend not to last that long.

Last edited:
Permabanned
With prices still at stupid levels, it'll be 2022 by the time i upgrade.

GPU market is a farce and needs a boot in the balls.

It would be good for us if AMD starts making more chips of the same generation - smaller Navi-based GPUs with the current modern feature set.
They rely on the old Polaris/Arctic islands (released 3-4 years ago) with old specifications to cover the lower tiers of the market.

Associate
It would be good for us if AMD starts making more chips of the same generation - smaller Navi-based GPUs with the current modern feature set.
They rely on the old Polaris/Arctic islands (released 3-4 years ago) with old specifications to cover the lower tiers of the market.

Aye, something definitely needs to be done in that regard.

I personally won't upgrade just now as the value for money just isn't there. Every card is overpriced. I just refuse to be fleeced by NV/AMD.

At least 2020 will see a third player with Intel entering the dGPU market. The cards might be mediocre, but just having their presence in the market will no doubt be a benefit to the consumer.

Soldato
These new 5700XT custom cards look good but LOL at the prices £439.99-£479.99 in some places :rolleyes: they should be sub £400 max :p

Permabanned
I don't think I've ever paid more than £300 for a GPU, current is a Vega 56

If you pay the inflated prices you are to blame, don't pay it, it's that simple

The problem is that AMD probably won't care and will prefer to seize the graphics cards production once and for all, than to lower the overinflated price tags and control the price hikes.

Associate
The problem is that AMD probably won't care and will prefer to seize the graphics cards production once and for all, than to lower the overinflated price tags and control the price hikes.
so you think rather than lower prices and continue to make money albeit a little less, but maybe more sales due to more people having access to it, they would shut down and stop making any money all together? ok then righto.

Back
Top Bottom