• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Associate
The problem is that retailers have had to buy stock at the new inflated prices as Gibbo has alluded to himself.

That means they have a choice to make. Do they cut prices now and risk losing all of their profit margins on them or do they keep them high and try to see some profit. We don't know at what price the cards have been brought in for, it could be that even a £50 price cut could wipe out the entire profit margin on them, we just don't know.

Soldato
They will sell as high as they can get away with, as they businesses after all. Even if mining demand hit zero today, there is still a backlog of demand from gamers who have sat waiting for prices to come down. Also for whatever reason supply is very low. (some have suggested supply is low because the big miners have been getting their stock before it hits retailers).

Soldato
i bought a vega 56 at launch for £380, at the time i thought it was priced about right but still not cheap imo, today the cheapest 56 is just under 550, with todays prices i honestly think i would not bother building a gaming pc at this time

Associate
From a quick look it seems that prices have stabilised. Second hand 1060's are sold for around £220 mark (or £150 for 3GB versions). The higher end 1070/1080 will follow but will probably take a while and not before the new series is out.

Associate
From a quick look it seems that prices have stabilised. Second hand 1060's are sold for around £220 mark (or £150 for 3GB versions). The higher end 1070/1080 will follow but will probably take a while and not before the new series is out.

ppl shouldn't buy 2hand, why you still want to give money to miners, just wait a couple of weeks and buy a brand new gpu at msrp with warranty, is trading mint condition + warranty for £30-£50 is not a good idea imo.

Associate

lets hope the fall of bitcoin helps it, it it still shocks me how much they've gone up in the last few months
I bought a Zotac 1070 mini for £349 in just November, now the exact same card is £470, I could now almost sell it 6 months used for what I paid new,
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/zota...s-graphics-card-zt-p10700g-10m-gx-10r-zt.html
at this rate I might as well buy gpus leave em in the box and sell em 6 months later, 33% return in 6 months! way better than the stock market!

Soldato
Used prices (and some new ones) have plenty more scope for reductions unless something drastic changes.... Best to hold off for a bit longer if in the market for a new(er) GPU at the moment.. .

Associate
I've signed up for daily ************ notifications, cards are dropping between £5 - £50 every day across many retailers. I've been watching a Strix 1080Ti go down from over £1K to £884 now in over 2 weeks.

Be patient, everyone.

Soldato
Losing interest in PC gaming completely atm. Tech stagnation, rising prices, blatant milking, mining not going anywhere...

What's the point.

Agreed, even the open nature of PC gaming is being attacked by Nvidia now, if the evil emperor CEO has his way, soon there will be only one go to GPU maker, further limiting progress and hiking prices. Bad times for the PC space.

However when you can get a great experience on an Xbox One X, or PS4 Pro. Does make you wander if PC gaming is worth it right now.

Hopefully things improve.

7f2b80a479c51b3473d0c0739ff52dde2887307be0d1b2d2d3083d838a4b54f5.jpg

Soldato
Losing interest in PC gaming completely atm. Tech stagnation, rising prices, blatant milking, mining not going anywhere...

What's the point.
On the other hand, that does mean that any hardware you currently have will last a long time, so it's cheaper in the long run. Stagnation is annoying though.

Associate
Got tired of watching the bitcoin market. Managed to get an RX580 for an acceptable price but all it does is crash my system repeatedly. Not best pleased with AMD right now.

Back
Top Bottom