• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Soldato
I could see the value in paying £700 for a 1080Ti if PC games were producing visuals better than what God Of War on PS4 Pro is turning out, but there isn't a single game on PC that looks as good as it does on a crappy old 2014 era, 4.2Tflop GPU.

All goes to show the old saying...it's not what you've got but how you use it.

Associate
Have to ask what makes you think it's the card that's causing it ?

Well i've no definative proof, but the only thing that has changed is the graphics card. There are quite a few posts on the AMD forums about this as well, with no fix and no input from AMD. We can't all have duff PSU's and the list of things I haven't done is getting rather short. In the end, I shoudn't have to mess with a card for 12 hours (and counting) to get it to work.
I'll give you my system is old, but I can't find any reason why it should be causing a hard crash when under load that requires a power cycle to fix.The previous card (also AMD) was happy as pie for a long time and when I switch it back it's fine.

I spent quite a bit of cash and waited the best part of 3 months and get 2 seconds of gameplay followed by 12 hours of troubleshooting to get hardly anywhere.

I'm about to flash motherboard bios.

Last edited:

B&W

B&W

Soldato
I could see the value in paying £700 for a 1080Ti if PC games were producing visuals better than what God Of War on PS4 Pro is turning out, but there isn't a single game on PC that looks as good as it does on a crappy old 2014 era, 4.2Tflop GPU.

So true, the better upgrade would be a PS4 Pro and a 4KTV for a similar price.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Only madness lies that way...if you can't trust used hardware, but you can't trust new hardware, there's literally nowhere to go apart from away from the PC as a platform.

If its new, it should always have the security seals intact if it doesn't id be sending the card back for a refund.

Associate

Add Uncharted 4 and Uncharted Lost Legacy into that too.

Grabbed a PS4Pro last year because of the PC Graphics card madness and it was the best thing I ever did. Lots of great games for PS4 on thebay for £15-25.

Associate
Add Uncharted 4 and Uncharted Lost Legacy into that too.

Grabbed a PS4Pro last year because of the PC Graphics card madness and it was the best thing I ever did. Lots of great games for PS4 on the bay for £15-25.
Bought one yesterday and can't believe how devs can get such good visuals out of them.

Soldato
Well i've no definative proof, but the only thing that has changed is the graphics card. There are quite a few posts on the AMD forums about this as well, with no fix and no input from AMD. We can't all have duff PSU's and the list of things I haven't done is getting rather short. In the end, I shoudn't have to mess with a card for 12 hours (and counting) to get it to work.
I'll give you my system is old, but I can't find any reason why it should be causing a hard crash when under load that requires a power cycle to fix.The previous card (also AMD) was happy as pie for a long time and when I switch it back it's fine.

I spent quite a bit of cash and waited the best part of 3 months and get 2 seconds of gameplay followed by 12 hours of troubleshooting to get hardly anywhere.

I'm about to flash motherboard bios.

Could be a duff card(RMA maybe) , going on you saying your system is old(how old) A bios update may have been in order before you changed cards.

Not looked on AMD forums tbh so cant comment on that.

I feel your frustration, 12hrs is a long while, Would not 10 mins placing the card in another comp been worth while effort if possible ?

Not the best place to discuss this though, AMD driver thread may be better.

Soldato
So true, the better upgrade would be a PS4 Pro and a 4KTV for a similar price.
depends what games you play.

compare skyrim VR (after it has been modded up) on PC to PS4... or then there are the games like Elite D which do not even get VR counterparts, and not certain but dont think it runs native 4K on console either.

Sure PS4 gets resident evil and Wipeout VR (and trust me i AM jealous) but that is a licensing issue not a technical one.

even stuff like pCARS2 or Apex Construct (the former PSVR support was dropped AFAIK and the latter is clearly not as good)

I have a PS4 pro and it is a very nice machine.... but it is not comparable in many aspects to a high end pc (and no i am not one of those obnoxious pc master race folk)

Back
Top Bottom