• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Caporegime
Yup if the new series are just a refresh with basically no improvements on the low level API front, I'll just pick up a cheap second hand 1080/ti

Saw a 1080ti strix go for £500 in the MM the other day! :eek:

Associate
A long wait for me then. Interim 770 I picked up is fine for 1080p anyway. Not paying full price for 2 year old tech and I have a feeling most are of the same mindset. At this rate I might as well hold out for the Vega refresh as would rather give AMD the cash in light of Nvidia's recent behaviour.

Caporegime

Yeah, I'm very dubious of that.if Nvidia has small margins then AMD's would be negative.

I expect there is no price cut because sales volume is still decent and there isn't that much over-supply.

If Nvidia really had warehouses full of stock then even a modest reduction in price point would help shift units before the price has to drop a lot.

Permabanned
A long wait for me then. Interim 770 I picked up is fine for 1080p anyway. Not paying full price for 2 year old tech and I have a feeling most are of the same mindset. At this rate I might as well hold out for the Vega refresh as would rather give AMD the cash in light of Nvidia's recent behaviour.
Im 180degrre other way AMD gpu dep can die off with crap they been doing last 3 years.
Only hope is... Intel

Soldato
Crypto mining was always a bubble waiting to burst. It's not as if the AIB's profits are suddenly dying. They are just back to where they were before a year of crypto mania gave them a massive peak to sales, and now normality is returning. Sure you can take advantage of exceptional circumstances, but you can't build your business on it because bubbles like that are not sustainable. This was already known from the excess 290 inventory AMD had to deal with after the first crypto bubble burst.

Maybe these companies will focus on gamers again, at least for a while.

Soldato
Yup if the new series are just a refresh with basically no improvements on the low level API front, I'll just pick up a cheap second hand 1080/ti

Saw a 1080ti strix go for £500 in the MM the other day! :eek:

Still too expensive imo.. It's 2nd hand hardware at the end of the day, and with prices only going down I think £500 for a 2nd hand 1080ti is far from a bargain. Especially Asus, good luck with that RMA if the seller goes AWOL.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
GPU prices are crashing now, guess around September will be a decent time to buy a new one since the new Nvidia gen will probably get announced in August and Pascals will get price cuts.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Still too expensive imo.. It's 2nd hand hardware at the end of the day, and with prices only going down I think £500 for a 2nd hand 1080ti is far from a bargain. Especially Asus, good luck with that RMA if the seller goes AWOL.

Yeah, if your definition of 'crashing' is a reduction to MSRP on 2yr old tech, but it sure ain't mine.

+1

Back
Top Bottom