• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU PRICES: SOME BIG DROPS AT OcUK!!!

Soldato
I dont even care much for gsync and freesync, they only have value if you have variable framerates, I lock my games to a static framerate, if the game cannot maintain thsoe framerates then I make adjustments until it does.

There is exceptions with awkward badly written games, but I noticed recently its something I can just deal with, its not that bad to warrant me spending an arm and a leg on a TN gsync sponsored screen that has gimped output capabilities.

Also I suppose a big factor for me is I see no purpose in having framerate's above 60 either, as I simply cannot tell the difference, my brain is too simple to process the difference between 60 and 120hz. So when 60hz is your limit then its far easier to keep a static framerate. I am also a gamer who can easily tolerate 30fps, so this further negates the advantages of these new sync technologies.

For those who do value it tho, nvidia's stance is a shame, as AMD hardware is much inferior on performance per dollar and performance per watt, but gsync is a kludge at best. Freesync is clearly the proper way forward but nvidia are been stubborn.

Soldato
Locked in FTW :p

We just happened to choose the right side :D ;)
I didn't want to pay £500 my monitor when it can have Freesync for £360 when I bought it, I'll get G-Sync in the future if AMD has no decent GPU options, Vega 64 is good enough but stupidly priced.

I dont even care much for gsync and freesync, they only have value if you have variable framerates, I lock my games to a static framerate, if the game cannot maintain thsoe framerates then I make adjustments until it does.

There is exceptions with awkward badly written games, but I noticed recently its something I can just deal with, its not that bad to warrant me spending an arm and a leg on a TN gsync sponsored screen that has gimped output capabilities.

Also I suppose a big factor for me is I see no purpose in having framerate's above 60 either, as I simply cannot tell the difference, my brain is too simple to process the difference between 60 and 120hz. So when 60hz is your limit then its far easier to keep a static framerate. I am also a gamer who can easily tolerate 30fps, so this further negates the advantages of these new sync technologies.

For those who do value it tho, nvidia's stance is a shame, as AMD hardware is much inferior on performance per dollar and performance per watt, but gsync is a kludge at best. Freesync is clearly the proper way forward but nvidia are been stubborn.

Problem is when you have Freesync you can drop from 90 fps to 60fps and not feel it too bad, if you lock the framerate you then lose those extra 30 fps which makes so much difference, the way I try and do it is lower settings and hold 90fps, that way dropping framerate doesn't feel too bad. Dropping from 120fps to 90fps is no way near as bad as 90fps to 60fps.

Associate

Wish I couldn't tell the difference! Seriously. I can instantly feel drops from 144 to 120.

Soldato
Zero chance of that ever happening sorry.

Yeah i know mate, just kidding. I am not even a ROG fanboy to be honest, (actually Asus customer service ****** me off the only time i ever used em) but they have 2 hdmi ports on em which, for a VR gamer is a nice thing to have, but i will just have to cough up and buy a DP adapter as i learned today that DVI aint gonna cut it at 4K/60 with 10bit HDR

just hoping its not a blower cooler.
Palit would be the sweetness.

indeed, and hopefully a mildly fettled one, the gamerock premium does not seem to go for much over the stock card.

OcUK Staff
OP
just hoping its not a blower cooler.

Palit would be the sweetness.

Not a blower but it is a small one. ;)
Hoping to get a dual cooler type card in mid £700's again, we are generally close to £100 cheaper than most competitors on 1080Ti and 1080 when we do these deals, but with such limited supplies at the moment it is quite hard to get large volumes.

NVIDIA are helping us because were the only retailer that has during these times tried to support gamers and pro-actively tried to reduce pricing in the market and cause some competitors to follow us and NVIDIA have noticed this and are trying to push board partners to send more stock to us rather than other regions who pay more for said stock.

April shall be a very difficult month, hoping May gets easier. :)

Associate
Not a blower but it is a small one. ;)
Hoping to get a dual cooler type card in mid £700's again, we are generally close to £100 cheaper than most competitors on 1080Ti and 1080 when we do these deals, but with such limited supplies at the moment it is quite hard to get large volumes.

NVIDIA are helping us because were the only retailer that has during these times tried to support gamers and pro-actively tried to reduce pricing in the market and cause some competitors to follow us and NVIDIA have noticed this and are trying to push board partners to send more stock to us rather than other regions who pay more for said stock.

April shall be a very difficult month, hoping May gets easier. :)
I bet its Zotac Mini then :p

Soldato
I bet its Zotac Mini then :p
Sounds that way doesn't it. My mate has one and for him with a mini case it is great.... But it hits it's thermal limit v quickly and so throttles back much easier than I would hope.
I reckon I will see what the £7xx reduced card is otherwise try and show patience. The zotac IS a good card tho. 5 year warranty too iirc

Associate

not possible under all conditions. and it means you sacrifice details to get your fps number, which may not even work considering how random games can be in terms of pc load. you may think you set it up, but then the next scene drops fps.

and gsync is amazing, sorry, it just works and has made fps drops which DO happen, practically imperceptible

Back
Top Bottom