• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Exactly. And they WILL settle down, as they always do. It's not so much what they've done, it's the SPEED at which they've done it. Shameless.

So they should just eat the losses until the prices settle? Were I them I'd probably aim to slightly overprice as a few less sales is better than losing money on each transaction, and when markets are very volatile the potential losses are rather large.

Soldato
people are already paying over the price odds for 1080/70 to start with, should make no difference if they or any product goes up if you bought an FE edition :p

solution is simply keep your cash in your wallet , wait for trade deals then buy :D

Associate
I think you're confusing USD with EUR - the dollar rate hasn't been below $1.40 for any period of time all year. Our expectations were a floor of 1.43 before all this, the rate is currently just below 1.37, if you know what margins are like in this industry you'd realise that's a serious gap!

Ermmm, end of February it plummeted to 1.38, pretty much where it is today.

Soldato
Come on guys, just cause theyre on the ball it doesnt make it bad, when it goes the other way im sure you won't all be complaining about the sudden price drops :)

Soldato
So they should just eat the losses until the prices settle? Were I them I'd probably aim to slightly overprice as a few less sales is better than losing money on each transaction, and when markets are very volatile the potential losses are rather large.

They're not losing anything TODAY, that's the point. They are reacting as though the drop in exchange rate is either there to stay or going to get worse... neither of which is likely.

Associate
They're not losing anything TODAY, that's the point. They are reacting as though the drop in exchange rate is either there to stay or going to get worse... neither of which is likely.

Once they've sold a card at a given price point they can't un-sell it and they still need to pay for it so they would be losing value today - *maybe* the pound would rise back up and make it ok before they need to pay, but other forecasts have it rallying briefly then heading even lower and once the card is gone they can't ask the buyer for more pounds to make up the shortfall.

Soldato
Ermmm, end of February it plummeted to 1.38, pretty much where it is today.

Briefly, and currently it's almost 2 cents lower. And as our expectations are a floor of 1.43 even when it was hovering around 1.41 for weeks it was hitting our margins.

I'm not in finance, and certainly not a currency speculator - but does anyone feel mid 40's is likely in the coming months?

Associate
Briefly, and currently it's almost 2 cents lower. And as our expectations are a floor of 1.43 even when it was hovering around 1.41 for weeks it was hitting our margins.

I'm not in finance, and certainly not a currency speculator - but does anyone feel mid 40's is likely in the coming months?

it will - its already rallied from 1.32 which is as low as it was in Feb - it might take a day or so to claw back to over 1.41 but it will.........

Soldato

Absolutely likely. Currency is fickle... it wouldn't actually take much for that to happen. One could argue the opposite of course, and it could drop further just as easily, but there will be much scurrying behind the scenes in the financial world to bolster markets and stimulate the economy to ensure that doesn't happen. There is no NEED to fear the worst other than the desire to do so, and if it fits a certain agenda... don't make that an excuse to hike prices. Without meaning to sound all 'tin foil hat', it plays in to any businesses' hands to hike prices based on these fears, only to see the economy rally and strengthen. Profits then soar.

Soldato
it will - its already rallied from 1.32 which is as low as it was in Feb - it might take a day or so to claw back to over 1.41 but it will.........

It was never 1.32! We've never had to buy dollars below 1.40. It sunk as low as 1.387 for a day or two then climbed back over 1.40.

Soldato
This is England. Nobody does anyone a favour with filling thier back pocket firstly. Why. Because we are constantly ripped off in the first place. What comes around goes around. Glad to see sense has prevailed and gpu's gone back to prices they were Wednesday. Twitchy fingers.

Soldato
I just ordered the Mobo while its back to its price before Brexit.. got the RAM last week so i just need the CPU now.

I'll see what happens with the CPU price next week and buy from the cheapest place i can if the 6700K stays at its current price of over £304 on here.

I feel like i'm 'panic buying'.. something i usually never do LoL

Associate
To be fair to ocuk people saying the price doesn't go down when the price is up aren't necessarily correct.

Some prices actually went down yesterday as the pound was rising recently because bremain went ahead in the polls.

Soldato
agree`d but i see there point sort of lol

they could have at least given it a few weeks as the pound will stabilize...

So... they should lose money for a few weeks just for the Hell of it? That's what you're saying? And who knows where it will stabilize at? Somewhere below where it was, that is pretty much certain. People are just going to have to get used to higher prices for foreign goods. This is basic economics.

Soldato
Disappointing. Tbh I find it hard to believe that your finance teams woudn't have had forward exchange futures in place to hedge against adverse exchange movements.

Expecting retailers to gamble on currencies to protect you against prices rises from a weak pound... You have crazy expectations. Hedge funds whose sole purpose is to predict the market got it badly wrong last night. And you want a retailer to be taking the same risks? You realize that hindsight is no good for forecasts and currencies can go down as well as up?

Britain voted leave. The price of foreign goods is now going up as a result. What did people expect? This is just dumbfounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom