Gran Turismo 6

Just hope the menu and flow of this game is better then GT5. Its looking quite tidy however we'll see. Can't help feel Forza beat the series this gen, GT6 has a lot of live up to and a lot to do if it wants the top crown for best console racer this gen.

Despite GT5's flaws and Forza stepping their game up considerably, I still feel like GT wins. Forza may have had a superior tyre model in 4, but GT5's cars still felt more realistic to drive, imo.

And then there was the accuracy of the visuals... GT5 had problematic 'standard' models from the old games (and apparently will still have them in GT6), but most of them were very accurate, just low-poly. Forza on the other hand has no mega low-detail problems but was all over the place in terms of accuracy. Their Ferrari F40 and F355 always stood out to me as terrible as they are particular favourites of mine and I've obsessed over every line and curve since I was a child. I find the inaccuracy in F4 to be just as off-putting as the low detail in GT5.

And then there's the Forza Nordschleife. Completely wrong from start to finish. It's not even close. Whereas GT5's Nordschleife is the best currently available (even compared to PC sims). If I want a quick blast in either game I'd pick that track. So it's very important to me that they have it right. The fact that GT5's 'Ring is clearly a labour of love, with more attention lavished on it than any other track in the game shows their heart is in the right place. I've never thought that about Forza.

The track side detail annoys me on Forza, even at 1080P, the grassy areas draw my attention for the bad reasons. Forza wins for customisation though, having engine swaps, etc. But for me, GT is a racing sim, and Forza is a racing game. For racing, I enjoy GT more, due to the realism and especially on the Nordschleife!

The Nordschleife in GT5 is actually very good, only Project Cars on the PC has made me go, wow that is darn good. I’ve never raced myself around the real Nordschleife but I’ve watched a lot of videos around it, and its just an epic place to go racing in GT5 or even Forza 3 /4

The premium cars in GT5 were very good indeed, but then I’ve not had an obsession over the smaller details, however what was premium in GT5 was of a good quality.

GT6 could end up being the best racer for this gen, its not impossible, Sony have somehow managed to pull off quite a bit in the last year with the whole Playstation and exclusive titles, GT6 might well end up addressing all those issues and flaws GT5 had, so I’ll be open minded and I’ll pre order GT6 and fingers crossed it is a fine racing game.

It will be the last GT game for PS3, lets hope it goes out in style.

E3 trailer

New Cars

Nissan DeltaWing ’12
Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (C7) ’14
BMW Z4 GT3 ’11
Audi R8 LMS ultra (Audi Sport Team Phoenix) #3 ’12

New Tracks & Locations

Gemasolar (Photomode Location)
Willow Springs Raceway
Matterhorn

Last edited:
Demo available on Tuesday 2nd July.

During the Racer X competition finals at E3, Sony revealed the release date for the highly anticipated Gran Turismo 6 demo which will host this year’s GT Academy: Tuesday, July 2, 2013.

The demo will be available to download from the PlayStation Store. After speaking with an SCEA representative at E3, GTPlanet can independently confirm the demo will contain only Nissan cars, as they are obviously the sole sponsor of the competition.

Last edited:
Q&A with Kazunori Yamauchi

GTP: Are the engine sounds that we hear in the demo representative of what we will hear in the final game?

KY: “No, those are just in there as sound effects.”

GTP: So we will see some changes in that area?

KY: “Actually, we are doing research right now to generate the sounds in a completely different way. I’m not sure if it is actually going to make it into GT6 in time yet, but we’ll have to see.”

GTP: The artificial intelligence of the other drivers, will that see any changes or improvements in GT6?

KY: “Like the sounds, that is something that we’re rebuilding for GT6. It won’t be the same as GT5.

“In addition to the things we’ve already announced, like the new rendering engine, the new physics, suspension, and handling modeling, the AI and the sound simulation is something that we are working on.

“As with pretty much everything in the game, we are going back to the basics and rebuilding it. We don’t know when the results of all that effort will come out yet, but of course, it’s not going to be the same as GT5.

“I know there were some rumors that the sound for GT wasn’t recorded with the engine under load. That was actually true until GT4 was produced, but for GT5 all of the sounds that we’ve taken were from cars that were on a dynamometer and placed under load.

“That’s not the whole of the problem, though, and obviously that’s not good enough for GT6 and for the future. We’ve been working on a new system for generating sounds for a few years now, we just haven’t made that breakthrough yet, and we’re still working. That’s what we’re aiming for – to make that breakthrough – so that we have something of a high quality to show.

“In terms of physics we were able to show that, but for sound simulation, not yet.”

GTP: Regarding car damage, will that be roughly the same that we see currently in GT5?

KY: “Yes.”

GTP: At Silverstone, you described GT6 as a modular platform that can easily be expanded upon. How will you decide what content to include within the game and what to add later as DLC?

KY: “Well, that’s really not been decided yet!”

GTP: Will time-of-day changes be available on all tracks in GT6, or will this only apply to new tracks in the game?

KY: “On Silverstone and Willow Springs, you can see they have time changes. They will be compatible with weather as well. Whether or not that will be applied to all tracks in GT6 hasn’t been decided yet.

“The issue is that if you set a certain time and set certain weather conditions, and build it to those conditions, you get a better quality result.

“However, when we do weather simulations or atmospheric simulations, if we can get it right, it’s going to raise the overall quality of the actual track beyond having it in a fixed condition where things are always going to be the same.

“That’s what we are aiming for and that’s the breakthrough we want to make, but it’s something else that we still don’t know if it will make it in time for GT6.

“We still haven’t given up on that dream of making a breakthrough, and that’s why Silverstone and Willow Springs have changing weather and changing time, as you saw on the show floor.”

GTP: What are some of the most interesting or surprising things that you learned while working with Yokohama and KW suspension to improve GT6?

KY: “When working with Yokohama tire, we got to work with their testing equipment to really see the differences between racing tires, sports tires, and comfort tires.

“Being able to perform this type of test is really a big deal. You’re able to do a bench test on the equipment they have, and at the same time you can perform actual road tests, like, for example, what we did on the Nurburgring.

“That GT-R that we ran in the 24 Hour Race, it has a lot of sensors mounted all over it for research. We can also compare that with the simulation in Gran Turismo. All of that is available for us.

“As for KW, they have a testing setup called the “Seven Post Rig”, and it’s a rig that allows you to move a car in a variety of different directions so you can see the vibrational characteristics of a car. The data that we can get from that equipment is really interesting to us.

“The body and the chassis of the car are a spring and damper in themselves, and the bushings that go into a car are a spring as well, and the tires. All of those things move separately and independently of each other, and we couldn’t tell how all of those things moved together until we actually were able to take these measurements.

“That’s really going into detail, but what we did at KW was very interesting to us in terms of data, and we learned a lot about synchronous vibrational dampening characteristics measurements. It’s just a major thing for us to be able to learn more about the things that we really need to know.”

Gran Turismo producer Taku Imasak confirms that “at least one additional track per month will be downloadable.”

That's on top of the already confirmed 33 locations and 71 track layout.

Back
Top Bottom