Graphics card crashes after a couple minutes.

Man of Honour
That was my initial thought, overheating, but the gpu doesn't go above 40c. So it's either not heating, or it's reading temperatures incorrectly

With a 4090 it can overheat stuff around the graphics card (i.e. external to the card), or e.g. the GPU core, VRM & memory, but I'm not saying it is, just that lowering the res/settings also changes heat output.

Last edited:
Associate
@Tarman Stupid question time... Are you using the Radeon graphics built in to the 7950x3d? Or have you disabled on board graphics in the bios? If the cncmd.exe is part of the AMD graphics driver set, could there be a conflict? Windows 11, for some reason, has a very nasty case of over-riding driver installs for AMD and even if set not to install, it will do so! Funnily enough it doesn't do it Nvidia drivers! Could this be a source of your problems? Some times the easiest solution is the most overlooked!

Last edited:
Associate
I may have had a little success.. I started again.
Reinstalled windows. Installed mobo drivers, then graphics card drivers, and it hasn't had a crash since.
Will rag it some more, see if it happens again.
Did this solution work out in the end? Im experiencing the same thing and im loosing my mind. Been troubleshooting for a week now

Associate
OP
Did this solution work out in the end? Im experiencing the same thing and im loosing my mind. Been troubleshooting for a week now
Nope. It worked for about a week, then started crashing again.
It's incredibly weird this crashing. It seems to go for days with great stability, countless hours of gaming, and no crashes, then it will start crashing out of the blue, for maybe 4 hours, then back to stable.
I've literally tried all sorts, and on other forums, people seem to have replaced pretty much ALL the hardware in their machines with no success.

The only thing nobody mentioned replacing was the power supply. So I have a new one coming today. Will update with test results.

Feeling confident it's a power supply issue.
Using tools in furmark, I can see the gpu is requesting over 100% power, maybe 103%-105%, which I reckon is causing problems as the corsair 850x is the bare minimum the 4090 can be paired with, and might be struggling with power spikes, which could be causing the cpu to choke, ultimately leading to the system crashing.
So upgrading to 1300w to be on the safe side

Last edited:
Associate
Okay, i do however have a 4070ti but its the exact same opengl error and it looks exactly like the pictures you uploaded. The weird thing is the first 2 days with it there was no errors ever logged and everything worked fine, which made me believe it was software related. Now it even logs opengl driver error while just idling in windows (not crashing at that point though) I do also have minidumps indicating HYPERVISOR_ERROR.

Associate
OP
Yeah, I'm thinking the gpu errors are a smoke screen for the actual problem. Gpu errors might just be the side effect of power problems.
Either way, will let you know.

Associate
Okay thanks, im really looking forward to that. Another weird thing i noticed was after day 2 with the new pc, i turned the computer off and it went into "updating dont turn off the computer" , but it stuck on that screen and i went on to turn the computer off by the switch. Reading the logs there isnt a single error prior to that and it started behaving weird after that. Thats why i hoped reinstalling windows and all drivers would be the solution. But im reaching for straws now.

Associate
OP
Okay thanks, im really looking forward to that. Another weird thing i noticed was after day 2 with the new pc, i turned the computer off and it went into "updating dont turn off the computer" , but it stuck on that screen and i went on to turn the computer off by the switch. Reading the logs there isnt a single error prior to that and it started behaving weird after that. Thats why i hoped reinstalling windows and all drivers would be the solution. But im reaching for straws now.

Power supply wasn't the problem. Certainly didn't fix it either. I pulled all the components out of the case, and it's all hooked up but laying on the floor. It seems a bit more stable like this, but there are still crashes. So I donno, the graphics card is just f'ked I think. was f'ked for someone else, returned, overclockers sold it on as B-Grade, and it's f'ked for me.
I suppose the lesson is don't be cheap. Buy cheap, pay dear.

Associate
Okay thanks for getting back. I managed to solve the openGL error yesterday by uninstalling amd adrenalin and doing a fresh install with "only driver" option. Crashes still happen, and judging by the log they always happen simultaneously with "Asusuppdatecheck" . Im also leaning more to hardware issue now anyways, still gonna try a fresh windows install tonight and see what happens. Otherwise im sending the pc back for troubleshooting at the manufacturer.

I did however check the update it started misbehaving after and it turned out to be a windows defender upgrade, could it be so that windows antivirus is thinking something in the graphics drivers is malware and stopping it? Maybe im going crazy but im thinking about how you said your system was stable a few good days after reinstall , same with me: my system was stable until the update.

Associate
OP
Okay thanks for getting back. I managed to solve the openGL error yesterday by uninstalling amd adrenalin and doing a fresh install with "only driver" option. Crashes still happen, and judging by the log they always happen simultaneously with "Asusuppdatecheck" . Im also leaning more to hardware issue now anyways, still gonna try a fresh windows install tonight and see what happens. Otherwise im sending the pc back for troubleshooting at the manufacturer.

I did however check the update it started misbehaving after and it turned out to be a windows defender upgrade, could it be so that windows antivirus is thinking something in the graphics drivers is malware and stopping it? Maybe im going crazy but im thinking about how you said your system was stable a few good days after reinstall , same with me: my system was stable until the update.
Yeah its the weirdest thing. So flaky. Just now, when I launch furmark, it will crash within seconds of launching. Earlier this morning, it was launching furmark, and completing tests no problem.
I'm stumped. Raised a returns request with overclockers. Hopefully they will honour it

Associate
OP
One thing maybe worth trying, does your gpu have a small button on it for switching vbios on the card. Green light to red mean performance mode. Furmark is no longer crashing.
Clutching these straws real tight here

Associate
One thing maybe worth trying, does your gpu have a small button on it for switching vbios on the card. Green light to red mean performance mode. Furmark is no longer crashing.
Clutching these straws real tight here
Im pretty sure there is,gonna take a look after work. Btw windows reinstall didnt help.

Associate
OP
Yeah I'm out of ideas other than send bits back for replacements.
Though my machine did behave for a few hours last night, which was nice

Associate
OP
It's so weird.. last night the PC was running great! no crashes, managed to play Star Citizen for a good 4 hours! incredible!
This morning, turning the PC on, back to crashing every couple of minutes.
I've been in touch with Overclockers about this, but they don't seem to be interested anymore.

Here's some monitoring at the exact point the PC crashes...
wN1uibj.jpg

Ultimately resulting in a weird BSOD
KuEB59i.jpg

Back
Top Bottom