Greece - 6 day working week

Caporegime
OP
I’d love to do my 37.5 in 4 instead of 5 days.

I do a lot of problem solving as part of my job (software developer) and would prefer the longer days to work on things then an extra full day to rest the old noggin.

Similar role.
I'd probably be more motivated too if this happened. An extra day is an insane amount of time to gain over a year.
Working 2 hours extra a day over the 4 days would be no issue when I WFH anyway.

Soldato
As said I do 4.5 days and I was on 4 days before redundancy, not a big difference tbh as Fri morning there's such a good vibe going on , the main thing is that half a day for, as said, admin doctors dentist ect without using holiday

Caporegime
Society going backwards.

It wouldn't even suprise me if that idea started to get thrown around over here.

We've got a (proportionally) shrinking working population vs non working so something has to give... some combo of more hours or raising the retirement age or slashing benefits or some significant tax hikes (which could again mean indirectly working more hours (or trying to get a better-paid job) if you want to maintain a certain net income).

We could do better w.r.t filtering immigrants too, low quality immigrants are just adding to the problem in the long term. Highly skilled/well-paid immigrants on the other hand should be welcomed.

Associate
We could do better w.r.t filtering immigrants too, low quality immigrants are just adding to the problem in the long term. Highly skilled/well-paid immigrants on the other hand should be welcomed.

Getting off topic but the salary requirement is now £38,700 (slightly lower for health workers and PhD Holders) - I don't think any immigrant will be "low quality" on that salary.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Big companies are behind the curve but lots of small/startups have leaned into it quite heavily. See lots of job postings on LinkedIn pushing it.
maybe it works for start ups... but for big business makes no sense.

that start up probably already struggles to give people a weeks worth of work, where the big company would likely have to worry about backlogs building

Getting off topic but the salary requirement is now £38,700 (slightly lower for health workers and PhD Holders) - I don't think any immigrant will be "low quality" on that salary.

I heard all the ilegal immigrants are doctors, nurses , scientists, engineers etc I doubt they are low quality either

Last edited:
Commissario
Also gives you half the number of days to actually have a life. Fine for a short period of time if you just want to pile some money in the bank but it's no way to live if you can avoid it.
Yup

Brother in Law's work basically went to 4 day weeks last year, not through choice and the staff still work the same hours but because they run plastic forming equipment and someone in management finally realised that having 4 shifts covering 7 days and having something like a third of the machines sat idle but hot (they take a long time to warm up and have to be cleaned properly before they get cold) was costing them a fortune.
So they consolidated the 4 shifts into 2 and now run the machines for 4 days with much less downtime.

Apparently when the cost of energy started to go down some management started muttering about going back to the old pattern (slightly more resilience if a machine goes down) and was basically told to get lost as they could get jobs that paid nearly as well but with far better working conditions on 5 days a week.

It turns out the guys working there like having the extra day to take things easy so they go into the weekend actually able to enjoy it rather than exhausted, especially as they change shift every two weeks or so (swapping through 12 hours).

Caporegime
OP
Yup

Brother in Law's work basically went to 4 day weeks last year, not through choice and the staff still work the same hours but because they run plastic forming equipment and someone in management finally realised that having 4 shifts covering 7 days and having something like a third of the machines sat idle but hot (they take a long time to warm up and have to be cleaned properly before they get cold) was costing them a fortune.
So they consolidated the 4 shifts into 2 and now run the machines for 4 days with much less downtime.

Apparently when the cost of energy started to go down some management started muttering about going back to the old pattern (slightly more resilience if a machine goes down) and was basically told to get lost as they could get jobs that paid nearly as well but with far better working conditions on 5 days a week.

It turns out the guys working there like having the extra day to take things easy so they go into the weekend actually able to enjoy it rather than exhausted, especially as they change shift every two weeks or so (swapping through 12 hours).
I need a career change!

Soldato
This.

What I find incredible is when someone says “you’d be bored if you didn’t work”

I’m like what? Drop it to 4 days full pay and everyone would be way happier and productivity would go up or be similar
A friends consultancy business took part in a large trial in London to go down to 4 days a week. The staff were much happier and just as or even more productive so they've kept it going.
Apparently most of the companies that tried it have carried on with it.

Caporegime
OP
A friends consultancy business took part in a large trial in London to go down to 4 days a week. The staff were much happier and just as or even more productive so they've kept it going.

Maybe should actually have a look and see if any of these jobs are available.

Soldato
I suspect you wouldn't want the job my brother in law has ;)
It's 12 hour shifts in a plastics factory which appears to have a poor maintenance and training regime, and a health and safety "record".
Sounds like my old factory. It was horrendous, but then it was the 80's, when H & S was laughed at and Alf Garnett types were everywhere.

Man of Honour
The company I've just joined allows you to compress your 38.5 hours into 4 days rather than 5, which is the opposite direction.

Culturally here it's quite accepted in most office jobs that people tend to finish shortly after lunch on a Friday anyway, so it's not much of an extension on that approach.

I've never really done big hours, and certainly not in the last five or six years. When I travelled for work I'd have long days, yes - but then I'd not work on the Friday or Monday for example, to make up for it.

I think the only time in my life I ever did over 40 hours a week regularly was when I worked at Thompson on basically minimum wage, so I'd take every hour of overtime I could get to offset the crap salary.

Man of Honour

There is only so much "productivity" you are going to get out of people in any given time frame, an efficient business would work with that.

Soldato
a bit out of date but this reflects what happens with a longer working day - productivity ain't linear .
probably need to add DIY planning as distractions.

The study asked then asked respondents, ‘If you had to state a figure, how long do you think you spend productively working during work hours on a daily basis?’ The results of this revealed the average answer to be ‘2 hours and 53 minutes’ of actual productivity in the workplace across all respondents.

The study then looked at the activities done instead of work, asking, ‘What are you guilty of spending time doing during the working day rather than working productively?’ and asked respondents to select from a list of potential options, which revealed the following top 10 distractions. Respondents were allowed to select more than one option if more than one applied:

1. Checking social media – 47%
  2. Reading news websites – 45%
  3. Discussing out of work activities with colleagues – 38%
  4. Making hot drinks – 31%
  5. Smoking breaks – 28%
  6. Text/instant messaging – 27%
  7. Eating snacks – 25%
  8. Making food in office – 24%
  9. Making calls to partner/ friends- 24%
  10. Searching for new jobs – 19%
In fact, making food and eating snacks took up more time than was expected – during an 8 hour working day, the average employee admitted to spending 25 minutes preparing and consuming snacks and beverages, with tea rounds (making hot drinks) taking up a lot of the total.

Respondents who admitted that they were guilty of ‘at work distractions’ were asked how long they believed they spent on each one during the course of a working day, which revealed the following averages when taken from all respondents:

1. Checking social media – 44 minutes (spent doing this during working day)
  2. Reading news websites – 1 hour 5 minutes
  3. Discussing out of work activities with colleagues – 40 minutes
  4. Making hot drinks – 17 minutes
  5. Smoking breaks – 23 minutes
  6. Text/instant messaging – 14 minutes
  7. Eating snacks – 8 minutes
  8. Making food in office– 7 minutes
  9. Making calls to partner/ friends – 18 minutes
  10. Searching for new jobs- 26 minutes

e: if you were in Greece though, having some time off early in the morning to visit the beach daily - wonderful

Last edited:
Caporegime

Unfortunately, some of them just come here on boats.

Back
Top Bottom