Poll: Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [11th - 13th July 2020]

When will Utd be awarded their first penalty tonight

• Before the 1st drinks break

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Between the 1st drinks break & HT

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Between HT & the 2nd drinks break

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Between the 2nd drinks break & FT

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters
Don
OP
VAR didn’t even consider it and it hasn’t even been discussed by the BT commentators or pundits. If it was clear cut surely there would have been some further discussion?
Because VAR makes the correct calls? :p

Unfortunately you get stupid pundits that think if you graze the ball it can't be a foul. Robertson was 100% in possession of the ball and got wiped out with the Burnley players follow through. How is it anything other than a foul?

Soldato
It doesnt really matter if its being discussed. I saw both incidents myself and they are clear as day. Yes we had enough to win it without but when Burnley turn it into UFC 252 then i expect the refs to actually ref the game fairly otherwise its literally 12 vs 11.

Don
OP
Robertson was not in full control of that ball, it’s a really good challenge for me. Not saying I won’t consider others opinions on it, but it’s not clear cut as you put it.
Really good challenge? You're joking now.

He takes a wild swipe, grazes the ball (which didn't move it from Robertson) and then wipes Robertson out.

Caporegime
When it’s a last ditch tackle to stop a goal scoring opportunity it probably is going to look like a wild swipe, he made contact with the ball first and it did change direction if you watch the replay.

My only argument here is that it wasn’t a clear cut penalty, not that it would never be given.

Don
OP
When it’s a last ditch tackle to stop a goal scoring opportunity it probably is going to look like a wild swipe, he made contact with the ball first and it did change direction if you watch the replay.

My only argument here is that it wasn’t a clear cut penalty.
I've watched the replay, the ball is right in front of Robertson, literally 1 foot away. Robertson is running straight onto the ball and he gets wiped out.

Other than the fact that he's grazed the ball (which too many people mistakenly think that means it can't be a foul), how can that be anymore a foul.

Caporegime

My only argument here is that it wasn’t a clear cut penalty, not that it would never be given.
Certainly not as clear cut as Kane’s and I didn’t see one Pool fan post on here complaining about that one.

Man of Honour
I definitely think the tackle on Robertson, dont know if it was a penalty, I'd have to watch the replay again as I only saw it from one angle and was watching the tackle rather than the lines. Fair play to Burnley though, theyve only lost 1 match in their last 12, so was never going to be a walkover. I think the points record is gone now, got Arsenal and Chelsea to play in the remaining matches and I think we probably needed one of those two to be able to be a draw and that cant happen now, but thats ok, got the title and thats all that matters, the record would have just been a bonus

Caporegime
I could quite easily see Liverpool winning their last three, those teams can’t defend like Burnley can and there will be plenty of opportunities on the counter. Van Dijk and Gomez need to get back to their best if it’s to happen as Chelsea could knock a few in.

Henderson out is a huge loss though.

Soldato

Its still in Robertsons posession. Its as clear a penalty as youll see.

Don
OP
I could quite easily see Liverpool winning their last three, those teams can’t defend like Burnley can and there will be plenty of opportunities on the counter.

Henderson our is a huge loss though.
I'm not sure we had too many difficulties getting through Burnley's defence to be honest. We had enough chances to have won the game 3 or 4 times over but some lazy finishing (and or shooting when another pass should have been played) and good goalkeeping should have been the difference.

Soldato
It most definitely isn’t :) There’s a debate there that one penalty may have been given. Not two clear cut penalties and a red as you first said lol.

Every game with you, it’s either a penalty or a red card you want to see :p

If the follow through doesnt happen...who gets the ball?

Caporegime
If the follow through doesnt happen...who gets the ball?

Follow throughs are going to come with last ditch tackles, he got enough on it first to affect the trajectory.

I’ve had a look around and there’s only you and Baz calling for a penalty there. Even some of the twitter nut jobs I follow haven’t mentioned it and a few accounts that analyse decisions after games have stated it wasn’t.

Soldato
Follow throughs are going to come with last ditch tackles, he got enough on it first to affect the trajectory.

I’ve had a look around and there’s only you and Baz calling for a penalty there. Even some of the twitter nut jobs I follow haven’t mentioned it and a few accounts that analyse decisions after games have stated it wasn’t.

Loads online are.

Change trajectory? Come on hes moved it half a foot. He hasnt taken it off Robertson.

Don
OP
A penny for Werner's thoughts as he watches Chelsea try their best to blow a CL spot.
Just quickly searching 'Robertson penalty' on twitter and there's far far more people saying it was a penalty than not - obviously it's almost entirely Liverpool supporters commenting but the first two search results were Arsenal and Real Madrid supporters saying it was pen.

Lots of people will say it's not a penalty though but mainly because they don't understand the rules and think because "he got the ball first" it can't be a foul. That's nothing more than a myth. It doesn't surprise me that VAR didn't overrule it because VAR for these decisions are a joke 99% of the time but it's a clear foul - the ball is right in front of Robertson and he gets wiped out.

Back
Top Bottom