Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [2nd - 5th Feb 2021]

fez

fez

Caporegime
Such a bizarre challenge so early in the game. Didn't look like there was any malice to it but really stupid. Assume he just misjudged it horribly.

Don
It says accidental fouls, not if they make a tackle.
I'm not sure where the text jonny's quoted has come from but as Peter Walton explained, if you're not deemed to be attempting to play the ball then it's still a red card. The reason being is because without this defenders will be just rugby tackling forwards when they're about to score. He also said that intent doesn't come into the refs decision as they cannot read defenders minds.

Soldato
Where are you getting this from?

Its in the law book?

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

Soldato
I'm not sure where the text jonny's quoted has come from but as Peter Walton explained, if you're not deemed to be attempting to play the ball then it's still a red card. The reason being is because without this defenders will be just rugby tackling forwards when they're about to score. He also said that intent doesn't come into the refs decision as they cannot read defenders minds.
Intent clearly comes into the refs mind though. In the text posted by Jonny the wording is "accidental" and in the text posted by omnomnom the wording is "an attempt to play the ball", which goes to intent.

If what omnomnom has posted then I agree, technically it's a red but it seems like horribly written rules, as it ignores the possibility of a completely accidental foul where the player is neither going for the ball or the opposing player

Soldato
Intent clearly comes into the refs mind though. In the text posted by Jonny the wording is "accidental" and in the text posted by omnomnom the wording is "an attempt to play the ball", which goes to intent.

If what omnomnom has posted then I agree, technically it's a red but it seems like horribly written rules, as it ignores the possibility of a completely accidental foul where the player is neither going for the ball or the opposing player

Which is why it seems harsh. Thats from the FA website so its legit and Luiz is unfortunate but it is a red by the law.

Its daft as if he does some insane tackle to "try" and win the ball its a yellow.

Back
Top Bottom