Greenlizard0 Premier League Football Thread ** spoilers ** [28th - 30th September 2024]

Think EtH will be gone as soon as they can lock down another manager. Wonder if it will be interim or full appointment. EtH just isn't delivering anything at the moment.

I'm not in the hater camp re: Southgate, would be quite pleased if he were manager by next week. I'll take boring but effective football over this dross.
This Southgate you mean:

In November 2008, Southgate took Middlesbrough up to eighth place in the league, following an away win against an in-form Aston Villa, another former playing club of Southgate's; however, Middlesbrough then went fourteen games without a win, until they beat Liverpool at home 2–0 on 28 February 2009.[55]

Humiliating, but not unexpected.

I thought it would make sense to give ETH until the end of October with the new signings, but what's the point? He's quite obviously inept.

Sounds like Gary Neville is just about calling for him to go, very unusual.
We are progressively worse by a game. I saw some **** under Ron Atkinson before Fergie came in but this is bad. Spineless when defending, toothless when attacking. There comes a point where you have rotated pretty much all of the midfield with Fred, McTominay a distant memory. So when are the questions going to be asked, is it the players or is it the system. Two games in a week and a goal comes when you get attackers running through four of our players.

I have a feeling the new ownership will make a change in the coming week. If this continues, the season is pretty much done for Utd by October. The cannot afford (as in the cash sense) to be sitting bottom half of the table. Nerves set in, you are chasing games from the first whistle and make stupid mistakes.

Last edited:
Humiliating, but not unexpected.

I thought it would make sense to give ETH until the end of October with the new signings, but what's the point? He's quite obviously inept.

Sounds like Gary Neville is just about calling for him to go, very unusual.

The same Gary Neville that wanted to keep him only before the season started ?

I know it's early in the season but if Utd lose next week to Villa, not only would ETH's future be on the line but Utd's chances of CL qualification via the League could well be over. Heck, had Villa won today then they could have been over already.

He's ****. In fact him being even close to the Utd line-up tells you all you need to know about the state of this Utd side.

I think Amad's been one of the positives from the games he has played from the other crap around him, but he is the one that is easily dropped because he isn't senior like Rashford or Bruno who some reason can't be dropped

Think this is it for ETH. Certainly another **** poor European performance in the week should be the end.

I'm not in the hater camp re: Southgate, would be quite pleased if he were manager by next week. I'll take boring but effective football over this dross.

Yeah it will be either 1-0 win , draw 0-0 or loss 0-1 , very exciting with only one way of playing

We are progressively worse by a game. I saw some **** under Ron Atkinson before Fergie came in but this is bad. Spineless when defending, toothless when attacking. There comes a point where you have rotated pretty much all of the midfield with Fred, McTominay a distant memory. So when are the questions going to be asked, is it the players or is it the system. Two games in a week and a goal comes when you get attackers running through four of our players.

I have a feeling the new ownership will make a change in the coming week. If this continues, the season is pretty much done for Utd by October. The cannot afford (as in the cash sense) to be sitting bottom half of the table. Nerves set in, you are chasing games from the first whistle and make stupid mistakes.

You can also add it's similar to end of Jose and Ole

I think Amad's been one of the positives from the games he has played from the other crap around him, but he is the one that is easily dropped because he isn't senior like Rashford or Bruno who some reason can't be dropped
He's a million miles away from being the required level to play for a top side. Whether he's done better than Garnacho, Rashford etc is another debate but as I said, that's quite telling regarding the level of this Utd side. He wouldn't be anywhere near the squads of any of the other 'top 6' sides.

He's a million miles away from being the required level to play for a top side. Whether he's done better than Garnacho, Rashford etc is another debate but as I said, that's quite telling regarding the level of this Utd side. He wouldn't be anywhere near the squads of any of the other 'top 6' sides.

I think he has good close control and can make things happen with the limited chances he has got he is 22 , how many chances has Rashford had ?? Would Bruno or Rashford be anywhere in other top 6 sides they only get picked because on big wages

I miss the days of sir Alex dropping anyone for youth didn't care of the players reputation

Last edited:
Reading through all this...

Is anyone actually surprised, as in really?

I expect some of our fans will be, they've been extolling the virtues of 'ETH Ball' from when he was at Ajax. All while ignoring their own eyes witnessing this complete failure of a manager.

I was actually thinking about this earlier, and I agree, he's a reasonably solid player, certainly nothing special.

I was actually thinking about this earlier, and I agree, he's a reasonably solid player, certainly nothing special.
Think we got rid of the wrong squad player. Would have much preferred to keep Pellistri as the Squad player.

Rashford needs benching for some time. I don't buy into some of the froth that we haven't signed a 9. Hojlund is fine but the reality is, at another club, he's bought as a back up to the main man, not as your new out and out striker, he was just too young and not enough experience.

I think hes a good player but I think that is very hard to excel with the pressure at United when we aren't performing. You have to be doing special things to get praised. You don't have the luxury of falling back on a well organised team. Everything is easier when the team around you is playing well.

I think he's a good footballer, with decent feet and he makes better decisions than most of the United team. Along with Mainoo he's one of few United players capable of operating at different tempos and playing appropriately to a situation, and he's also capable of making something happen.

I think he's more of a 10 or even an 8 than a winger, and agree with Baz that he wouldn't get near most top teams, but he ticks far more of the most basic boxes than most United midfielders and attackers

Interestingly, Gary Neville is deviating from his usual ridiculous position of "I'd rather we were relegated than sack the manager".

He's shocked how bad it was and thinks INEOS will be deeply concerned, he didn't really give any indication he thinks ETH can turn things around.

This was ETH's team today. We've signed players who know him, and know what he wants. Spent a fortune... and we're going backwards compared to last season (which was already a borderline disaster).

INEOS seriously dropped the ball by keeping him, the public search for a new manager undermined what little credibility he had left, and that part wasn't his fault. A serious miscalculation.

Not sure where we go from here, I think they might appoint RvN as interim, realistically he can't do much worse. Tuchel is the standout available manager with a CV to handle this sort of club, but he does bring other problems and they couldn't come to an agreement in the summer. There are plenty of managers out there who would be an improvement, but it may have to be in the summer.

With rat boy suspended its the perfect opportunity to play Mainoo as the '10', becuase he isn't very good in a midfield double act next to someone one else. Said it before but you can't play both fernades and mainoo together in a midfield 3 as neither of them are very good at the defensive side. Spurs (lets be honest, weren't exactly very good either) just cut through your midfield at will. You'd be better off playing ugarte and casimero as the 2 in the middle with mainoo further forward.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom