Greenlizard0 Premier League Football Thread ** spoilers ** [31st Aug - 1st September 2024]

Man Utd (1.52) 0-3 (1.50) Liverpool the XG stats

Just Utd not being clinical? dosnt feel like it really though.

The game turned on a pivot thanks to Casemiro just being a liability.

Liverpool have had a whole pre-season together and have basically had the same setup for the first three initial games.

United are still lopsided. Shaw, Hojlund needs to come back and Ugarte will come in.

The actual stats between the two sides was very similar when you look into it at depth.

The international break has come at a great time for us whereas for Liverpool it has most likely come at a bad time.

We have a relatively easy run of games when we come back and Shaw, Hojlund and Ugarte should be starting and playing. No excuses then however.

Do they? I don’t think they do have good players, go through the team.

A few notes I would add here -

Antony was a player ETH specifically wanted, and cost £80m. Dreadful.

Onana, as above, no improvement on De Gea really.

De Ligt was decent for Bayern so that's slightly harsh.

ETH chose to start Rashford over Amad who just won our player of the month award.

Just because the players have some question marks over them doesn't mean we should accept a woeful performance from the manager as well. This can be much better.

Salah confirming its his last year :( "as you know its my last year at the club"

edit no one has talked to him about a contract, hopefully not as bad as it 1st sounded. Bit worrying they havent bothered with contract renewals

Saudi will slip 100m into his back pocket. East to see why he wouldn't want to sign another contract, well i'm guessing he's told Liverpool he's not signing another one

Do they? I don’t think they do have good players, go through the team.

Onana - isn’t a great keeper, dodgy as hell.
Dalot - erm
Martinez - Looks ok, he’s good some times but so hit and miss.
de ligt - Failed at his two previous clubs
Mazraoui - Similar to above, if he was good he’d be at Bayern still.
Casemiro - Father time has caught up with him, he was bloody elite though.
Rashford - guys been awful for at least 18 months
Fernandes - good player, great player infact, just doesn’t have the team around him. Creates loads better players around him and he’d have stats up there with the best in the leauge.
Garnacho - Great player
Zirkzee - not seen enough of him.

That’s hardly a good team. There a reason they finished 8th.

The subs Collyer, Diallo, Eriksen. I mean yeh.

Rest of the bench - Bayndir, Evans, Heaton, Maguire, Wheatley and Antony…. Any of them good? Evans the best defender they have and he’s retirement age.

It's a difficult situation.. confidence plays a huge part in football.. and those players you mention.. if they were in a team with a plan and playing with confidence.. i'm half convinced thay would be good enough..

Not saying that Utd have 11 world class players, but do they have simliar quality players to say a Villa who finished 4th last season... I think with some confidence and a way of playing.. then yes I think they're simliar..

Liverpool have had a whole pre-season together and have basically had the same setup for the first three initial games.

United are still lopsided. Shaw, Hojlund needs to come back and Ugarte will come in.

The actual stats between the two sides was very similar when you look into it at depth.

The international break has come at a great time for us whereas for Liverpool it has most likely come at a bad time.

We have a relatively easy run of games when we come back and Shaw, Hojlund and Ugarte should be starting and playing. No excuses then however.
The stats might be close but the tactics and mindset couldn't have been further apart.

I think it might make some difference yes, huge difference? Unsure.

Managers can make a mashooove difference to a side.. a good manager with a plan and a way of playing can make even half decent players look good.. and I think that united have better than half decent in most positions.. but they just look lost and unsure all the time...

I guess until the manager changes, to a manager with a plan and a way of playing.. then we'll never know..

put it this way.. if you took a Pep and put him in charge of Utd.. then i'd say they would defo finish top 4-6.. even just the standard of .. everybody sprints back.. no exceptions.. or you're dropped.. would make quite a large difference..

For starters the crowd would appreciate it.. and other players would feed off the crowd...

so yes... Huge..

edit: sp

Last edited:
A few notes I would add here -

Antony was a player ETH specifically wanted, and cost £80m. Dreadful.

Onana, as above, no improvement on De Gea really.

De Ligt was decent for Bayern so that's slightly harsh.

ETH chose to start Rashford over Amad who just won our player of the month award.

Just because the players have some question marks over them doesn't mean we should accept a woeful performance from the manager as well. This can be much better.

The fact you’ve had to say, slightly harsh tells you everything! Scholes said the other day he’s yet another cast off from another big club.

It’s poor playing Rashford, he’s just not into it.

Thing is, Shaw is injury prone and will always be the case so you can’t put all your eggs in that basket. Hojlund is still young and shouldn’t have all this pressure on him - he’s being set up to fail.

Ugarte is similar to the above thing with the squad, he was left out of PSG team. So is a benched player for them because he wasn’t technically good enough for Enrique. United are pinning their hopes on cast off from other clubs.

You can’t keep signing players who don’t make the grade at clubs at a level that United are aspiring to be at and expect different result.

Even Neville is saying if we're not challenging for top 4 at Christmas then ETH will be sacked. Why wait? We won't be.

Carragher is right, the manager is the main man at any club, and ETH looks finished. INEOS undermined him hugely in the summer (deservedly so).

Now they're arguing :p

Even Neville is saying if we're not challenging for top 4 at Christmas then ETH will be sacked. Why wait? We won't be.

Carragher is right, the manager is the main man at any club, and ETH looks finished. INEOS undermined him hugely in the summer (deservedly so).

Now they're arguing :p

He gone if he dosnt turn it around it quite that simple.

I missed the game as travelling (thankfully).

This popped up on my feed which is bonkers

ea4jT9G.jpg

bUt We WoN tHe CuP

Comfortable win against a terrible Utd side. The only negative, similar to Brentford last week, is that we kind of stopped playing in the last 30 mins rather than just take Utd to the cleaners. Had we wanted to we'd have scored 4 or 5 today - we were opening them up at will but just ****ed about rather than get a shot away, even when we're 6 yards out centre of goal.

As for Utd and ETH, he's done. He's been done ever since the 7-0 at Anfield in his first season to be fair. Utd's end to that season was poor and it's got worse the longer it's gone on. Carragher made the point during the game, Slots been here 2 minutes and you can already see his mark on the side, ETH's been there for over 2 years and there's nothing to show for it other than well over £600m down the drain.

For all the praise of Ineos recently, it shouldn't be forgot that they spent a couple of months wanting to sack ETH, interviewing every manager under the sun trying to replace him and ending up giving him a new contract. **** me if that was the Glazers the reaction would have been something else.

Back
Top Bottom