Greenlizard0 Premier League Football Thread ** spoilers ** [31st Aug - 1st September 2024]

Not saying Liverpool didn't deserve the win but I don't think it was a completely dominant performance as it has been in the recent past.
Man U got battered today, the only reason they got a few chances towards the end was because Liverpool took their foot off the gas after the game was won and slot subbed off half the first team.

One of United's biggest issues is still there....

Rashford.

Once again - totally useless - plays wide, doesn't take a player on, doesn't shoot, doesn't cross. What's he there for? Why ETH continues to play him is beyond me. Body language, attitude etc - awful.

Casemiro is done - he was on shaky ground last season after some very poor performances and getting yanked at half time is the end of him now at United.

Mainoo continues to look excellent but needs help in the midfield - Lets hope Ugarte brings that.

Still feel there is no balance to the team up top - either play Amad / Garnacho wide and balls into the box OR play narrow and let Bruno play the ball more. It's very much all over the show at the moment.

ETH was on thin ice before the summer and only the lack of any other decent managerial targets kept him there - I think he's got 6-8 weeks to sort it or they will pull the plug on him
Actually Rashford managed two decent crosses today. I feel sorry for him. He's clearly shot mentally and short on confidence. I suspect he's almost got the footballing equivalent of the "yips" so I understand why ten Hag is playing him in an attempt to play his way out of the slump. However, hes not meriting his place over Amad or Garnacho so i hope Erik chooses to bench him and let him impact from there.

The machinations of the club are complex. I think that the execs can be blamed for not prioritising a CDM over the likes of Zirkzee, Mazraoui and De Ligt. Those signings were made early and therefore Ugarte relied on the confirmed exit of one of our few sale-able assets in McTominay. In essence we knew Casemiro was shot and they didn't bring in cover/replacement until the end of the transfer window leaving ten Hag exposed. The manager is not blameless but he's working with what he has. I still think there are signs that the system is looking slightly more cohesive. We have been pressing better, the back four looks promising and we have some decent players to come back in.

Crazy how much Utd have spent and Dalot is their best player. Maguire probably their best CB too.
It's a difficult situation.. confidence plays a huge part in football.. and those players you mention.. if they were in a team with a plan and playing with confidence.. i'm half convinced thay would be good enough..

Not saying that Utd have 11 world class players, but do they have simliar quality players to say a Villa who finished 4th last season... I think with some confidence and a way of playing.. then yes I think they're simliar..
Agree with this entirely.

That entire back four are good players - a match for anyone's outside the top 3 from last season. On paper, the midfield is better balanced than Liverpool's albeit Casemiro's age has obviously caught up with him. Amad is top class, and I think a better manager would get more from him. Rashford also just looks shot from years of playing for such a mess of a club.

Yes, the squad isn't as good as City's, Arsenal's or Liverpool's, but it's as good as everyone else's. That wasn't the case a few years back.

Back
Top Bottom