Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [12th - 15th January 2018]

Don
Just realised Salah, Mane Mane and Firminooo all scored :D
Spurs tried and failed to do what Liverpool have done superbly.
It's without doubt the best way to get a result against City but the risks are massive because if you're not 100% at it and they are, they can murder you. There was a couple of moments in the first half when they beat our press and KDB was picking the ball up behind our midfield - another day he picks better passes and we pay for it.
Yep, for the first 80 minutes they pretty much only overloaded the left so Gomez had lots of protection and then switched it and rarely did he faulted. Absolutely fantastic and the Masch style run was awesome :D
LOL I think I swore at him about 40 times during that run. That sums up both the best and worst of us. 4-1 up with 15 mins to go and your left back ends up in the right wing spot after closing down their entire side!

Caporegime
Yeah the amount of rest before that game probably gave us the edge, never been so apparent how much we just ******* ran and ran.

Don
Great spot from Carra for Ox's goal. Ederson gets caught a bit flat footed and isn't able to spring off his right foot to dive across his goal.

Soldato
That's a cracking result for Liverpool, fair play to them, they played really well up until the last couple of minutes. It shows you can get at City and force them into mistakes if you have the pressing and the fitness to back it up. So do we think that Ederson is made to look better because City dominate possession or has he just had a bit of a shocker today?

Don
That's a cracking result for Liverpool, fair play to them, they played really well up until the last couple of minutes. It shows you can get at City and force them into mistakes if you have the pressing and the fitness to back it up. So do we think that Ederson is made to look better because City dominate possession or has he just had a bit of a shocker today?
We'll never know for certain about Ederson until teams attack City. It's a bit like all the praise Otamendi's got this season when the reality is he's not had any defending to do.

He is clearly perfectly suited to City. The way he sweeps up behind the defence and his ability on the ball means City can play how they do which in turn makes it less likely that they'll have much defending to do.
Given identified it at HT didn’t he? Ederson jumped as Ox was about to hit it and by the time he lands he doesn’t have time to readjust for it.
Given mentioned his positioning and not being happy with the goal but Carra really identified the exact problem. He's tried to dive off of his left foot and as a result hasn't been able to get the spring to get across the goal.

Don
The issue was him jumping as Ox was about to hit the ball, nothing to do with diving off the left foot, he did that as he couldn’t readjust properly once he landed.
I know, I said as much - he was caught flat footed. But the specific reason why he's not got across the goal as you'd expect him to was because he's pushed off his left foot rather than his right.

Caporegime
I know, I said as much - he was caught flat footed. But the specific reason why he's not got across the goal as you'd expect him to was because he's pushed off his left foot rather than his right.

That only happened because he jumped though, even if he’d pushed off with his right he wouldn’t have reached it after that. So the jump was the specific reason he didn’t make it not which foot he went off afterwards.

Don
That only happened because he jumped though, even if he’d pushed off with his right he wouldn’t have reached it after that. So the jump was the specific reason he didn’t make it not which foot he went off afterwards.
Jesus Christ. I said he got caught flat footed (and yes that was a result of him jumping right before the shot) but I was following it up by explaining the exact reason why he's not been able to get to get across the goal. There's no even if he pushed off his right foot - he can't get his feet in position to push off his right foot, which was the problem. He doesn't have time to take the little side step to get into position to spring off his right foot.

I know you deny being an Everton supporter but who do you support?

Soldato
I don't think we should do anything like that at the moment, let's see how the rest of the season goes.

What about the "brand" of football though?

I appreciate we're still reeling from SAF days and rebuilding but we're stuck in the past and that's more than just Jose.

There's an interesting article on City which I'll find later, they're building the foundations for a global football empire and I see us getting left behind or at the very least not competing with them.

Here it is: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/dec/15/manchester-city-football-group-ferran-soriano

Guessing it's not news to most people on here but I really wasn't aware of the reach they're aiming for, I only knew about the US etc.

Edit - I don't intend to go off topic.

Doff my hat to 'Pool. Well played, well played! It really pains me to say that :D having said that, at least you've brought City down a peg, for which I am most thankful.

Don
I don't think we should do anything like that at the moment, let's see how the rest of the season goes.
No, it's better to wait for the full Mourinho 3rd season melt down which ends with him and Castles scaling FA hq dressed as batman and robin :p

Klopp's gave a cracking interview live on US tv after the game :D

Man of Honour
It's a highly complex issue really. I'm not sure what the best course of action is, but in general I think things are relatively stable and will get better and not worse.

No, it's better to wait for the full Mourinho 3rd season melt down which ends with him and Castles scaling FA hq dressed as batman and robin :p

:D

Soldato
Fair enough celebrations for me, beating a team which nobody else has beaten all season, I'd be ecstatic about it too if it was me

It wasn't just that, the win felt very important in trying to get some distance between us and the chasing pack for fourth. Spurs and Arsenal both have a difficult run of games. A win today gives the team a great chance of getting some day light.

Last edited:
Associate
It was just that, the win felt very importaint in trying to get some distance between us and the chasing pack for fourth. Spurs and Arsenal both have a difficault run of games. A win today gives the team a great chance of getting some day light.
And it's also the first game since selling coutinho. Notice how no one has even mentioned him. If we got hammered how much of the press would have been about Liverpool's ambitions and where our season goes from here? No coutinho, no dijk and still a great win really helping our top 4 chances on a weekend when Chelsea and arsenal slipped. If you can't go crazy celebrating that then why bother even playing football?

Caporegime
Jesus Christ. I said he got caught flat footed (and yes that was a result of him jumping right before the shot) but I was following it up by explaining the exact reason why he's not been able to get to get across the goal. There's no even if he pushed off his right foot - he can't get his feet in position to push off his right foot, which was the problem. He doesn't have time to take the little side step to get into position to spring off his right foot.

I know you deny being an Everton supporter but who do you support?

You're just proving what I originally said about Given getting it right at HT on the specifics of it.

Not sure what you're getting at with the Everton fan thing? Is that what you assume every time someone debates you?

Back
Top Bottom