Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [13th - 17th October 2017]

Man of Honour
Did anybody expect anything else? Even with Liverpool in a mini crisis and Utd starting the season on fire, there was never a doubt in my mind that Utd would set up like they did today. It's what Mourinho does when he comes up against a side that isn't 100 times inferior to his.

Who knows whether this will prove true but somebody made a point on twitter about this tactic of Mourinho's and why it's previously worked but might not now. Whenever he's won the title in the past he's never had more than 1 or 2 rivals or sides of similar quality to his own - he's been able to take those 2-4 games against those sides and try not to lose, maybe pinch a win and then win the league in the other 34 games. There's 6 relatively strong sides in the PL - with 10 genuinely tricky games to play, can he afford to keep playing for a draw? If Utd keep setting up like this then City will pick up far more points in those 10 big games, leaving Utd a big ask in the other 28.

While I don't disagree, I think if Mourinho is going to set the team out to play the other team off the park, he'll only do it with his strongest 11.

Wasn't really going to happen today with Pogba/Bailly out and all the players are just coming off an international break.

Caporegime
To be fair we only lost because of blatant cheating.

That pen decision really cost us.
Regardless with the talent we supposedly have, we should have beaten them.

It just seems soon as we go a goal down or a team equalises against us, we just lose our heads and hand the game to teams.

Meh I’m actually embarrassed to say I’m an arsenal fan these days to people :/.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Anyone who claims we lost because of a decision is deluded.

We were flat, poor, created hardly any chances and defended like headless chickens again. Plus, Wenger is gutless. Why put Holding on for Kos? We were drawing with Watford. Just revert to a flat back four and stick another attacker on. I’d rather go down fighting than the limp way we did.

Cost me nearly £100 today. For that. Disgrace.

Don
Sakho still trying stupid back heels in his 6 yard box :o
De Bruyne with some absolutely disgusting play in their game today, real class act.
Best player in the League on current form and best passer in the League - he always plays the right pass and it's always inch perfect.

Soldato
I'm disappointed but not surprised with the way United played today. I'd like to say it would have been different had we had Pogba available for the game and if Rashford hadn't had a knock, but I don't think it would have made much difference. A point away at Anfield is better than nothing so I guess I can't complain too much, but given the way City are playing we really need to continue to be aggressive to keep pace with them, at this rate they look like they are going to run away with it. I wasn't at all impressed with Mourinho's post-match interview either. Trying to somehow have a go at Liverpool for playing a midfield of Henderson, Can and Wijnaldum and then also claiming that United controlled the game was laughable. Liverpool had over 60% possession and 19 shots to United's 6, they were by far the better side and deserved more than a point.

Still, if United are competing with City later in the season I might have a different opinion on the game, it's just a shame given the way United have started the season that we were so negative today.

Back
Top Bottom