Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [14th - 18th February 2020]

Soldato
Pretty mediocre game of football from two teams that have a long way to go before they challenge for titles. I thought United were fortunate tonight. On the major talking points.
1. Maguire sending off - not for me. For a start we was off the pitch sliding backwards towards row A. Its a yellow at worst because its a little ungentlemanly.
2. 1st Chelsea goal - I think they were hard done by here. Fred is shoving as much as their player
3. 2nd Chelsea goal - it was a great goal but I guess thats what VAR is there for. I'm more ****** about Shaw's terrible positioning again.

Still think United have massive issues. Matic has been better recently but he's so immobile that he really sets the wrong tone in the middle of the pitch. Martial scored a great goal but he's so lazy at times and then at other times selfish. Fernandes offers at least some quality. Credit to Bailly for playing quite well on his first game back.

For Chelsea They have some talent to develop - I was impressed by Mount and James. Rudiger is solid enough but losing Kante was pivotal for them in this match. Lampard has a long hard road on this evidence.

Soldato
I thought the Maguire incident was a red card, even if it's off the pitch it doesn't matter - his leg shouldn't be making that movement unless it's intentional. I actually think their first ruled out goal was the correct decision.

Yes, Fred is pushing a moving Azpilicueta but he maintains balance and when he shoves a completely stationary Williams, he's not falling forwards but stood upright on both feet. In shoving his opponent, Azpilicueta is gaining an advantage as he pushes Williams under the ball.

Don
There's not a question as to whether Fred has fould Azpilicueta, the issue is whether Azpilicueta fouls Williams or whether it's natural contact. Watching the replays I don't know what Azpilicueta could have done not to have gone into Williams - the nudge from Fred carries him into Williams. Some people might comment on him putting his hands into Williams back but that's just a human reaction - if you're falling over or about to fall into something, you put your hands out to protect yourself.

Soldato
Keane picking his team :D

He's a character, that's for sure. I respect his loyalty to the United guys he played with, but even as a lifelong United fan I can't agree with him. I think Carragher's team was bang on, except I'd have Cole or Firmino instead of Yorke. As Carra himself said, Cole scored 20 goals in that treble winning season, and Firmino has class linkup play with Salah and Mane.

Don
These combined teams are always mad. It was only a couple of years ago that Carragher and Bellew done a combined Liverpool & Everton side and it had 6 Everton players in it.

The Utd team of '99 and this Liverpool side play completely different formations, it's nigh on impossible to come up with a sensible combined team.

Back
Top Bottom