Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [18th - 23rd October 2019]

Don
A lot of what ifs and buts. Had that goal not counted United would have not sat back and defended the lead and could have scored again. The game was 50-50 up to that point then after that we parked the bus and defended the lead (Which I am sure 99% of teams would do against Liverpool). If it wasn't for Ashley Young and his poor positioning we could have even nicked the win!
You sat back before the lead. Your game plan didn't change at all before and after the goal - Liverpool had most of the ball and Utd were trying to play on the break.

Soldato
Thing is, if VAR wasn't a thing there wouldn't even be a debate. The ref's decision would stand before VAR, and there would be no chance at all of a review.
Anything that is open to interpretation (i.e not a fact) is going to be difficult to overrule the ref's on field decision.

The rules, not VAR, need a rewrite for clarification in the age of VAR so they are less subjective.

Permabanned
A lot of what ifs and buts. Had that goal not counted United would have not sat back and defended the lead and could have scored again. The game was 50-50 up to that point then after that we parked the bus and defended the lead (Which I am sure 99% of teams would do against Liverpool). If it wasn't for Ashley Young and his poor positioning we could have even nicked the win!

His positioning was just awful and he is no where near a left back basically we had Liverpool beat 1-0 if we had a proper left back. I would have sold him in the summer i hated it when Fergie bougbt him he never really was that great for us and when he has the armband on it says mediocre united.

Even as a winger he would take the ball, jink, jink,jink, turn onto his right foot and curl one lol or he would pass it back grr.

Don
Thing is, if VAR wasn't a thing there wouldn't even be a debate. The ref's decision would stand before VAR, and there would be no chance at all of a review.
Anything that is open to interpretation (i.e not a fact) is going to be difficult to overrule the ref's on field decision.

The rules, not VAR, need a rewrite for clarification in the age of VAR so they are less subjective.
I don't think the rules will change and like it or not, VAR is going no where. What will happen will be the same as what happened with cricket - they'll gradually lower the threshold for overturning decisions to the point that in a few years time the VAR official will ultimately decide the outcome of pretty much every goal, penalty and red card. Personally, if we are to use VAR then I'd much rather we just let the VAR official make the decisions - he's going to get more right than the on-field ref.

Soldato
I don't think the rules will change and like it or not, VAR is going no where. What will happen will be the same as what happened with cricket - they'll gradually lower the threshold for overturning decisions to the point that in a few years time the VAR official will ultimately decide the outcome of pretty much every goal, penalty and red card. Personally, if we are to use VAR then I'd much rather we just let the VAR official make the decisions - he's going to get more right than the on-field ref.

Yep.

VAR at the moment is just being used to keep the heat off the refs rather than trying to get the right decisions.

No surprise there with Mike Riley in charge. The man's always been the same. Ever since he's been in charge it's all been about "current climate" and reffing in the context of whatever is getting media headlines. He's a t!t.

Man of Honour
Yellow card for Freddie Ljungberg, long time since I've heard that!

Neither a pen or a dive, Mike Dean definitely enjoyed giving that.

Yep but thats karma for you wanting Liverpools goal overturned yesterday ;).

Not my fault Liverpool need to cheat to beat a mid-table team. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Yellow card for Freddie Ljungberg, long time since I've heard that!

Neither a pen or a dive, Mike Dean definitely enjoyed giving that.

Not my fault Liverpool need to cheat to beat a mid-table team. :p

Dont cheat when we beat Arsenal every season ;)

Genuinely...concerned about Pepe? His stats last season were massively padded by pens but he looks like a poor mans Iwobi...

Back
Top Bottom