Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [19th - 24th April 2019]

Associate
Its a compliment to Liverpool really, it shows that even though Liverpool havent been winning trophies, even though they havent won the league for almost 30 years, they are still seen by Utd as more of a rival than their derby rivals, who are one of the best sides ever in the league. Thats quite the compliment.

Not sure why Liverpool fans on here keep banging on about this or seem to find it niggling. United and Liverpool fans detest each other to a level few in the league can match. They are also closer together for title wins, look what happened when United past Liverpool after Liverpool gave them years of abuse for title numbers.

I'm pretty sure Liverpool would have taken a loss against Everton if it cost United a title. Liverpool have been a hated rival and City largely irrelevant for the last 50 years. I can see why that's seen the lesser of two evils. Liverpool and United are vile to each other where City were just a target for mocking.

Man of Honour
Title race is over now sadly.

On paper and barring any surprise results from teams lower down the league, I would agree. I dont expect for a moment that Utd will try all that hard to take points off City, so that leaves matches that ought to be winnable for City and matches that ought to be winnable for Liverpool, which would mean City win the league by 1 pt. On the plus side, thank god that Liverpool actually challenged City for the title as it doesnt look like anyone else was capable of doing so this season and it has at least made for a decent season for neutrals and fans of both teams alike to have a season with a good title fight for once.

Soldato
I think race is over myself, I just can't see city messing it up now, our team has come on leaps and bounds since klopp and to challange in the title whilst not having the same depth has been great.

The only disappointment I can say this season has been the cups but that's been the case for many seasons.

Caporegime
Yeah I think we needed city to drop points twice as I can see a draw in us still. Newcastle and Wolves are tricky games

(Also Cardiff still alive annoyingly)

Caporegime
Liverpool need to win the league this season as I think Spurs will be a lot stronger in their new stadium and hopefully United buy well in the summer. Questions will be asked of Klopp as well. Will be starting his 5th season and still not a single trophy.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
I'd say they're doing pretty well myself, not sure they can really be blaming Klopp for not winning the league if they don't manage it.

Associate
Liverpool need to win the league this season as I think Spurs will be a lot stronger in their new stadium and hopefully United buy well in the summer. Questions will be asked of Klopp as well. Will be starting his 5th season and still not a single trophy.

How can you ask questions of a manager that has so far lost one game in the league and will likely score more points than at any time Arsenal won the PL, even the year they went unbeaten. If they get pipped and I don't think they will it's a bit of a freak season to get that many points and not win. Yeah he hasn't won anything yet but challenging this closely for the title and a CL final and at least semi this year. I don't think Liverpool these days would be stupid enough to think he's doing anything but a wonderful job.

Why would Spurs be stronger in a new stadium?

Caporegime
He's a bitter manc who one must assume is slightly concerned that Klopp is doing well and wants to believe what he is actually saying :)

If we win **** all or few things with Klopp I probably won't care an awful lot, the season (journey) is so much more enjoyable now and makes each game worth looking forward to which in reality if why I watch football, granted winning a trophy can be the greatest feeling. However, I've only seen us win 2 meaningful ones in the most outrageous fashion other clubs will probably never experience.

(And the people who make the decisions can see the fans are super happy with Klopp, revenue is growing along with every other facet of the club)

Caporegime
Liverpool are having a great run but they do not have the finances to keep it going forever. Unless you have the money City have long gone are the years of Liverpool's 80's dominance and United's 90's/00's. The Prem is becoming way too strong for that.

Caporegime
Liverpool are having a great run but they do not have the finances to keep it going forever. Unless you have the money City have long gone are the years of Liverpool's 80's dominance and United's 90's/00's. The Prem is becoming way too strong for that.

Was that supposed to be a reply to something or a random statement?

Liverpool challenging ~20% of seasons is about right for their finances. Manu/City should never not challenge given their spending.

Associate

I found Van Gaals comments on United still playing park the bus counter football interesting, any truth in this do you think?

"People think we have only had fake news since Donald Trump became president. In football we have had it for 50 years," says Van Gaal.

"The coach after me [Mourinho] changed to park-the-bus tactics and played on the counter. Now there is another coach who parks the bus and plays on the counter. The main difference between Mourinho and Solskjaer is that Solskjaer is winning.

"I am not there but there does look to be a change and the atmosphere seems to be better. It is also true that Solskjaer has changed Paul Pogba's position and put him into an area where he is much more important.

"But the way Manchester United are playing now is not the way Ferguson played. It is defensive, counter-attacking football. If you like it, you like it. If you think it is more exciting than my boring attacking, OK. But it is not my truth.

Back
Top Bottom