Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [20th - 24th April 2012]

Soldato
My 2p worth.

Liverpool could go down the path of Newcastle/Leeds if they aren't careful. They have missed out on CL and the Europa money won't finance your wage expenditure (90k Carroll and the rest) so it could be catch 22. Do the owners invest heavily in an attempt to get back in CL and if you fail again you will be reliant on the owners largesse. You will be hoping the owners indefinitely finance an attempt to get into the CL but in the opposite situation the owners could say enough is enough and pull out or fire sale to make the club financially viable.

Could be an interesting season for you next year.

Soldato
As for the teams around us, looking at the situations of Newcastle, Spurs, Chelsea and yourself actually makes me more confident. It will be incredibly hard for Newcastle to replicate their form again, even without the consideration of more games due to being in Europe.

Are Liverpool not in Europe also next season,Liverpools squad beyond the starting 11 is no better than newcastles IMHO and there is only one or two of Liverpools first eleven that IMO would get into the Newcastle staring eleven.

Before you say that MA will sell half the the first team squad for the money(because we're a selling club) why would he do that?we have already surpassed what MA had budgeted for this season without the europe money,I can see Tiote going and a few reserve players going out but none others unless Liverpool want to come and give us £30m for James perch

Last edited:
Associate
I said this several months ago and I'll say it again, I personally don't think Liverpool's problems are anywhere near as bad as everybody is making out. They're not conceding excessive amounts of goals and are creating plenty of chances, they need a 20/30 goal a season striker to convert those chances and take the pressure off other members of the team(Suarez, Downing etc.) which should lead to them starting to score more goals.

Don
Liverpool could go down the path of Newcastle/Leeds if they aren't careful. They have missed out on CL and the Europa money won't finance your wage expenditure (90k Carroll and the rest) so it could be catch 22.

Since our last season in the CL our revenue is greater than it was and our wage bill is less. We're nothing like Leeds or Newcastle.

Associate
The additional revenue of CL football would have given us a real advantage/given us the chance to compete. We've increased our commercial sponsorship massively since FSG got involved and Ian Ayre replaced lazy Rick.

A good solid start with a new number 9 and we'll return to the top 4.

Associate
My 2p worth.

Liverpool could go down the path of Newcastle/Leeds if they aren't careful. They have missed out on CL and the Europa money won't finance your wage expenditure (90k Carroll and the rest) so it could be catch 22. Do the owners invest heavily in an attempt to get back in CL and if you fail again you will be reliant on the owners largesse. You will be hoping the owners indefinitely finance an attempt to get into the CL but in the opposite situation the owners could say enough is enough and pull out or fire sale to make the club financially viable.

Could be an interesting season for you next year.

The difference is Liverpool are a club with a massive global fanbase due to years of playing at the highest level. Newcaslte and Leeds have very little of a global fanbase in comparison, which meant/s far less revenue from sponsors, shirt sales etc.

Leeds are a prime example of a team who spent far beyond on their means during the good times, and when those good times ended they had no money to fall back on. The revenue of a club like Liverpool means it is almost impossible that the same will happen to them.

Don
Hope that comment doesn't come back to bite you,no club is big enough to fall from grace

It's going to take something dramatic before Liverpool's finances are comparable to what Leeds' were as No1newts suggested.

The loss of CL money has already been made up for by increased commercial deals and our wage bill has been cut over the last 18 months. The increase in revenue is continuing (our new kit deal which comes into play next season could be worth anything up to £38m more than now) and our wage bill is likely to fall again with Cole hopefully going and big earners like Maxi and Kuyt probably leaving.

Soldato
It's going to take something dramatic before Liverpool's finances are comparable to what Leeds' were as No1newts suggested.

The loss of CL money has already been made up for by increased commercial deals and our wage bill has been cut over the last 18 months. The increase in revenue is continuing (our new kit deal which comes into play next season could be worth anything up to £38m more than now) and our wage bill is likely to fall again with Cole hopefully going and big earners like Maxi and Kuyt probably leaving.
But the players that go have to be replaced and players of the same/higher quality will command the same if not higher wages.i have just had a look at Liverpools last published accounts and your wages were 68% of turnover which is only going to get bigger because as most of you have said the squad need major investment this summer,which means your going to need to bring in 4-5 more than what goes out

Last edited:
Don
But the players that go have to be replaced and players of the same/higher quality will command the same if not higher wages.i have just had a look at Liverpools last published accounts and your wages were 68% of turnover which is only going to get bigger because as most of you have said the squad need major investment,which means your going to need to bring in 4-5 more than what goes out

You're looking at things far too simplistically. How much we pay any incoming players won't depend solely on their ability. For example, Cole is on £100k per week (we're paying £70k of that depsite him not being here), where as Suarez is on closer to £60k per week. Cole was a fairly high profile player, already earning big money and a free signing with a fair bit of competition for his signature; all that led to Cecil offering him £100k. Suarez on the other hand was earning as little as £25k when we signed him and the only competition at the time was Spurs (who wouldn't have paid him much either).

We don't need to add 4-5 players to our squad, we need to replace 2 or 3 players and add a couple, 1 of the additions will probably come from the youth side too.

If Kuyt, Maxi and Cole were to all leave we'd be saving the best part of £250k per week and of the 3 only 2 need replacing. Unless we're signing established top class players then that £250k would go a long to covering the wages of 5 new players.

I don't want to get in trouble with Tummy not warning you ;)

You've not had the email requsting that you no longer post in here now that you're a Don?

Soldato
But the players that go have to be replaced and players of the same/higher quality will command the same if not higher wages.i have just had a look at Liverpools last published accounts and your wages were 68% of turnover which is only going to get bigger because as most of you have said the squad need major investment this summer,which means your going to need to bring in 4-5 more than what goes out

This was what I was getting at and there is no CL money to back it up. That and the duds Kenny has signed are not going to be easy to shift as they are on wages which they won't get at the level they will end up at and they won't sell at a decent value.

I doubt Liverpool will do anything as dramatic as Leeds/Toon but they could struggle a lot unless they hit CL again soon.

Back
Top Bottom