Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [21st - 26th March 2014]

Just noticed that Everton still have a fighting chance of sneaking into the top 4. They're just 8 points off Arsenal with a game in hand and Arsenal have to visit Goodison too.

I don't think it can happen. Both teams look like running out of steam tbh, we are making hard work of games at the minute. I don't think Arsenal will implode that much.

When we don't have our regular back 4 I think we concede too much :(

I don't think it can happen. Both teams look like running out of steam tbh, we are making hard work of games at the minute. I don't think Arsenal will implode that much.

You've just got to keep grinding out the wins like you have been and keeping the pressure on Arsenal. With Arsenal playing City next weekend, you could be going into the match vs Arsenal just 5 points behind them and still with your game in hand.

You're easily pleased. No wonder we don't hear you calling for Wenger's head like some of your fellow gooners.

I think over all he has been good for the club and given me many great experiences watching their games. Its frustrating at times when we disagree with what he does or who he signs/doesnt sign but I don't think changing the manager will sort the problems out.

We need better players in. Ozil was a step in the right direction but wrong type of player but we aren't in a position to always grab who we want especially with not winning anything for so long.

With teams like City and Chelski in the league who can buy whoever they like its always going to be tough to win anything. We come away with the FA Cup and a CL spot I will be happy.

Wenger will be in charge next season whether people like it or not, still going to support the club as normal.

Ole's comment was the only funny thing to happen today (Unless you don't support Arsenal). All our rivals for CL and title won. Got to look for some positives:p

Outside of one game against Sunderland I don't think you're running out of steam. You lost by a single goal to Spurs and Chelsea, both away from home and won three on the bounce since then. The liverpool loss wasn't great but away from home again and 4-0 is better than plenty of teams have done and really it's the only game I've seen where Everton just looked almost hopeless.

Arsenal isn't an always an easy game :p City will obviously be very tough but the rest of the games are very winnable.

I don't genuinely think they can do it but if Everton did beat Arsenal it would put Wenger/Arsenal under pressure. We've got the Wigan game after the everton game but a decent gap so not likely to rest players. But if we at that point lose to City, Everton and fluff the game against Wigan then I can see the team crumbling even further. Arsenal often let the pressure get to them, though like last season once the Wigan game is out of the way it's a pretty favourable run of games.

I think he played well, I just think he always looks like he doesn't really know what is happening! He still hasn't shown anything that suggests he's worth even half what we paid for him though :(

Not sure I agree with that. Not suggesting it was tactical genius from Moyes or great play from Fellaini but what I saw was Andy Carroll being forced to drop deeper and deeper and our big man pretty much mopped up a lot of the scraps today.

Long term, regardless of who is our manager, he does give that physical edge to the game. If we end up getting two or three decent midfielders over the course of the next 2 or 3 transfer windows and he goes down the pecking order, he would certainly add some depth and strength to the squad above and beyond what we have now.

As for West Ham. Great tactics. Play the diagonal ball to the penalty spot for hopefully Caroll or some other talentless oaf to play the percentages (Knockdowns, Knock On's etc). If that doesn't work, bring on yet another talentless oaf in Carlton Cole on and play two for the diagonal ball that hasn't worked for the last 70 minutes.

Arsenal should never have moved from Highbury. It's gonna be hard to move the oil clubs out of top 4 unless one of their owners pumps money into the club.

Everton ain't getting top 4. Wenger will get 4th.

What on earth has it got to do with Highbury? Wenger's attitude is what changed, nothing else. He lost the winning mentality, he's been buying the wrong players, he ignores glaring weaknesses and he's failed to adapt to the state of the game nor learn anything at all since he became a manager. He's still the only idiot around who bangs on about not changing game to the opposition as if it's some kind of brilliant idea/philosophy, it's failing miserably.

If we were at Highbury we'd simply be making a 40-50mil loss a year or spending 40-50mil less a year in wages. Walcott is now on supposedly 100k a week, Ribery only signed a 140k a week contract deal a couple years ago, before that he was on 70-80k a week..... when you compare the quality of who we spend the money on vs where other teams spend their money it's not difficult to see. The very fact that Diaby is still at Arsenal speak's volumes about Wenger. Before 2005 he sold Overmars/Petit/others because he saw better options out there. Now he sticks by players beyond where any competent manager should.

I said years ago if Wenger went say 2007 he'd have left mostly as a very successful manager, now he's been crap as long as he was brilliant, even 3-4 years ago had he left it would have been as a great manager. But this long being this unsuccessful. If he left this year I'd think his overall time as manager as average. Seriously, there is no other team spending 100mil + a year in wages that has seen as little success.

I think to some degree he's doing what Fergie did, he's trying to get his final big win before quitting, a title of some kind.... and he just can't do it.

SAS :cool:

sturridge-suarez.gif

Back
Top Bottom