Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [26th - 27th December 2018]

Don
As much as Liverpool, nothing.
So back to Purdy's reply to you, what makes trophies Spurs won in the past any less meaningful than Arsenal's? All that matters is this season and the immedieate future and Spurs certainly look more likely to win a trophy this season and look better set to mount serious challenges for major trophies than Arsenal do.

Caporegime
What the hell do trophies won in the sixties matter now? Dusty? They’ve probably corroded.

Totally different era.

About as relevant as the 'ours is gold' nonsense that Arsenal fans spout given that all of that generation has retired.

You're only as good as your last game, talk about past achievements and dusty trophies all you want. I'm sure it makes you feel much better when playing FK Carrier bag. The recent FA cups obviously weren't good enough given the fans still hounded Wenger out of the club.

Almost glad Arsenal beat us in the league now because it looks to have totally detailed thetr season after the embarrassing dressing room celebrations. Wonder if Guendouzi is hanging out of any car windows this evening?

Caporegime
About as relevant as the 'ours is gold' nonsense that Arsenal fans spout given that all of that generation has retired.

You're only as good as your last game, talk about past achievements and dusty trophies all you want. I'm sure it makes you feel much better when playing FK Carrier bag. The recent FA cups obviously weren't good enough given the fans still hounded Wenger out of the club.

Almost glad Arsenal beat us in the league now because it looks to have totally detailed thetr season after the embarrassing dressing room celebrations. Wonder if Guendouzi is hanging out of any car windows this evening?

You need some chips to go with that salt

Caporegime
Who's being salty? I was replying to someone else's comment and you came along telling me only some past trophies count, not all, only the ones Arsenal have won.

Both Spurs and Arsenal have had hugely successful periods in their history but that is exactly that, that's why I always laugh about the trophy cabinet nonsense because it's normally touted by plastic fans that think football was invented in 1993. Just look at the table now, the level you're competing at and the players in the current squad and do you think Spurs fans would be jealous of Arsenal right now?

Man of Honour
Awful performance from Arsenal. Our bench is really weak too which is not helping. Ainsley and Iwobi just not good enough.

I think AMN is OK when playing as a holding midfielder based on his performances last season; the problem is he is basically used as a utility player in the same way that Toure was when starting out. He looks a bit lost at fullback and is probably behind Torreira / Guendouzi / Elneny in the pecking order for his best position.
As for Iwobi he should definitely be sold, his only redeeming feature is that he is prepared to run with the ball from midfield which is something we have lacked since Rosicky, Wilshere and Alexis left. He gives the ball away so many times though, I don't see how a player with such poor passing can be considered suitable for a club competing in Europe. I'd rather give Nelson or Smith-Rowe a chance.

Associate
Why fight through? The rules dictate it’s a foul so you don’t have to?

Some of you chaps need to actually read the rules (doesn’t say ‘play on - it’s a mans game’ btw)
Maybe it's because I grew up watching football in the 60s and 70s where players didn't fall down just because someone touched their arm. It's also a major reason why I am much more invested in ice hockey nowadays, a proper physical sport.

IMO the rules need changing, they just pander to the soft as butter players. If you get a soft touch on the arm or any other gentle touch and fall down, yellow card and automatic one game ban. A foul should be where there is no chance of continuing with the play, not as it is now. I find most layers pathetic, to be honest.

Soldato
As for Iwobi he should definitely be sold, his only redeeming feature is that he is prepared to run with the ball from midfield which is something we have lacked since Rosicky, Wilshere and Alexis left. He gives the ball away so many times though, I don't see how a player with such poor passing can be considered suitable for a club competing in Europe. I'd rather give Nelson or Smith-Rowe a chance.

Me and missus just don't understand how all the pundits keep saying he's massively improved etc. His ball retention stats must be abysmal. Passing is awful and quite often just runs straight into people after doing his impression of an epileptic fit. I don't think he's ever looked like a player who should play for a team in the top half of the table.

Don
IMO the rules need changing, they just pander to the soft as butter players. If you get a soft touch on the arm or any other gentle touch and fall down, yellow card and automatic one game ban. A foul should be where there is no chance of continuing with the play, not as it is now. I find most layers pathetic, to be honest.
So as an example if an attacker was one on one with a keeper and a defender pulled his shirt or tripped him but not hard enough to take him to the ground, it wouldn't be a foul no matter how impeded the striker was as long as he could just about carry on?

At the end of the season before last I can remember an incident where Coutinho was tripped in the area vs Palace, he was so clearly impeded but could just about play on - he ended up getting his shot away with 1 knee on the ground. That according to what you said wouldn't be a foul. Incidentally the ref didn't give the foul either, probably because he stayed on his feet(ish). Towards the end of last season when Liverpool went to Old Trafford there was an incident involving Salah and Young, Salah was goalside of Young when the ball was played to him, Young grabs him with 2 hands, stopping Salah from both controlling the ball properly and getting clear of the rest of Utd's defence - Salah stayed on his feet but is dispossessed by 2 Utd defenders. Again, under your rules that's not a foul because he could carry on, no matter how impeded he was. I could list 10000 other examples like this - Salah just the other week vs Napoli, Mane in the 2nd leg of the CL 1/4 last year and so on.

For clarity, I think your rule is madness. If a player is impeded it should be a foul. What you're suggesting would lead to 1000 tactical fouls per game. The rules as they are, are right however officials need to start implementing them properly, even when attackers stay on their feet in the area - it's only in the penalty area that they don't. I can completely understand why officials don't award penalties when a player stays on his feet btw - they're human and it's natural for them to look for an excuse not to make a big decision and a player staying on his feet is their excuse. As long as this continues then forwards would be fools to stay on their feet when fouled because they're only going to disadvantage themselves by doing so.

Caporegime
Salah is stronger than that, players have arms on each other all the time - so the next time Salah out muscles a defender and scores, the goal should be disallowed for a foul on the defender?

Salah felt the minimal contact and threw himself to the ground. His legs just stop moving. Blame the referees for not awarding stuff when they should - but mostly this problem is caused by players constantly trying to trick and deceive the officials into awarding penalties in the first place. Like when Salah dived against Crystal Palace...

Caporegime
Salah is strong, Kane's even stronger but that didn't stop him diving against us last season.

Edit: Seem to remember Lamela getting tapped on the back of the leg and collapsing to the floor in the same game.

Caporegime
I'll let you have the Kane one, that was soft but equally bad defending by Liverpool. Lamela beat VVD to the ball and just kneed him up the backside.

Liverpool have peak victim mentality though, everything is a dive unless it's Salah.

Back
Top Bottom