Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [27 - 28th October 2012]

Soldato
Only be a few decisions a game, if unclear do not give the goal/red card etc as there are many tough calls, give managers flag to throw and play continues then play reviewed, 2 challenges, if you are right or if unclear challenges remain.

Never going to work imo.

Very different sports ;)

Don
Do you think if there is any contact then it's not a dive? Further to that, was the way that Torres went down commensurate with the contact Evans made?

I've said many times before, if a player's fouled then he has every right to go down because when they don't go to ground the ref won't give the foul.

If you're going to book players every time they go to ground when there's a chance they could stay on their feet then you'll end up with 4 or 5 red cards per game.

Soldato
I may be wrong, and i dont think it was a yellow, but the sad thing is that Torres was looking for a red rsther than trying to score. There was tiny contact but he went down to try and even things up rather than win the match. Torres of the goldeb days would have got the goal.

Caporegime
Never going to work imo.

Very different sports ;)

You could be right, could wreck game flow especially managers throwing flags to kill momentum, should be trailed though, we've been costed over 5 points this season, I'm sure it has happened to many other teams, like DM said, football isn't fair and too many cups/leagues/delegations are decided by bad decisions. (Unless Liverpool win of course)

Soldato
You could be right, could wreck game flow especially managers throwing flags to kill momentum, should be trailed though, we've been costed over 5 points this season, I'm sure it has happened to many other teams, like DM said, football isn't fair and too many cups/leagues/delegations are decided by bad decisions. (Unless Liverpool win of course)

I agree that you should trial methods in order to make the sport fairer, try and keep an open mind etc.

Maybe start with lower leagues?

It's difficult one to get right, if at all.

Goal line tech for me which in itself will show how other methods could go.

Suarez would proably be nuked when he gets on the field mind...

Caporegime
I agree that you should trial methods in order to make the sport fairer, try and keep an open mind etc.

Maybe start with lower leagues?

It's difficult one to get right, if at all.

Goal line tech for me which in itself will show how other methods could go.

Suarez would proably be nuked when he gets on the field mind...

If Suarez didn't roll around like a **** when he is touched and fouled he'd be called a diver a lot less, his outright dives aren't frequent and evidently are horrendous (stoke) (dm do not bring up the Norwich front flip which he never appealed or was looking for a foul....)

Yes start with lower leagues and watch it carefully, but make sure the majority of the teams are up for it which I'm sure they would be, teams like stoke probably wouldn't though

Soldato
Thought Clattenburg was useless throughout tbh, was giving Chelsea loads of soft free kicks first half that helped them build their momentum, thankfully for us though he shifted sides second half :D

Given the amount of terrible decisions that's gone against us at the Bridge over the last 10 years we were due that today, best game in a United shirt so far from RVP as well :)

Caporegime
Video replay lends itself to the top league most, largely because the camera's are already there, cost a fair bit and need a camera man to, well, man them, and an editing team to throw together the replays in seconds. There are camera's/camera men at lower league games but its usually limited, massively so, and they'll edit the footage later on, not instantly.

If anything it needs trialing in the prem league u21 league and implementing in the main league and frankly this is one of those things that the premier league teams who make a killing could and should put money into the FA to pay for it to trickle down into the other leagues.

It simply wouldn't slow down games though, it would speed them up. Every time you get a ref stopping play at a corner and having a stupid talk with two players pulling each others shirts, replays, they'll give away penalties if they get caught so they'll stop doing it, less fouls and less ref's giving lectures.

The huge decisions often take ages anyway, I forget which freekick it was, during the West ham game this week or last week, it was a full two minutes from freekick to taking the freekick. Football is constantly stopped, and TWO whole challenges isn't going to ruin a game. Honestly the 4th official runs a tablet to the ref, the ref runs to him, max 10 seconds after a flag, 30 seconds max to see replays(I think thats the rule in american footie) often takes less than that, if the ref can clearly see the decision was wrong he'll overturn it, if not, he won't, simple as that.

I'd prefer a 5 minute longer game(which would be rare) than game after game with the wrong result. It would have cost Arsenal, but 30 seconds and QPR get 2 more points with a correct decision in game, and it was a goal so there was a noticeable delay till start of play anyway.

Fact is, if everyone gets caught for every shirt pull, for every dive, for every goal, if the players feel they are being treated fairly there will be a hell of a lot less complaining, and there will be a hell of a lot less cheating and fouls to start with as players learn they can't get away with it.

Soldato
I've said many times before, if a player's fouled then he has every right to go down because when they don't go to ground the ref won't give the foul.

If you're going to book players every time they go to ground when there's a chance they could stay on their feet then you'll end up with 4 or 5 red cards per game.

So Torres exaggerated the contact then, which, to the letter of the law, is a yellow card. The reality is Clattenburg got the decision right today, but it HAS to be consistently applied this way.

Don
So Torres exaggerated the contact then, which, to the letter of the law, is a yellow card. The reality is Clattenburg got the decision right today, but it HAS to be consistently applied this way.
I didn't say Torres exaggerated anything :confused:

Clattenburg didn't book him because he thought he exaggerated the contact. He booked him because he thought there wasn't any contact.

Torres was fouled, whether he could have stayed up or not is subjective but even if he could have, he's gone to ground because if he didn't then he wouldn't have got the foul.

If you believe he was booked for exaggeration then why wasn't there 10 other yellows for it today?

Soldato

Clattenburg didn't book him because he thought he exaggerated the contact. He booked him because he thought there wasn't any contact.

Torres was fouled, whether he could have stayed up or not is subjective but even if he could have, he's gone to ground because if he didn't then he wouldn't have got the foul.

If you believe he was booked for exaggeration then why wasn't there 10 other yellows for it today?

Before I go on, Torres shouldn't of been sent off for that tumble.

But he certainly wasn't fouled, he wasn't impeded in anyway and could have just carried on going.
I would only of booked him if he had started waving his arms around when he had gone down tbh, I'd of just waved play on.

Soldato

If you say players have the right to go down, they also have the right to stay up, which Torres did. His left leg gave way when his right leg was clipped - figure that one out. I think Clattenburg booked Torres because he thought there was no contact, that wasn't the case of course but it didn't mean the decision was wrong either.

Anyway, like most Chelsea v United games today was just a catalogue of refereeing curiosities for both sides. There were some odd decisions.

Don
Before I go on, Torres shouldn't of been sent off for that tumble.

But he certainly wasn't fouled, he wasn't impeded in anyway and could have just carried on going.
I would only of booked him if he had started waving his arms around when he had gone down tbh, I'd of just waved play on.

Disagree on whether it was a foul or not. Whether Torres could have played on or not doesn't change Evan's tackle. He kicked Torres in the shin, that's a foul.

Officials shouldn't be making decisions on whether something is a foul or not based on whether a player could/couldn't stay on their feet or based on whether they go down or not. The decision should be based on the challenge.
If you say players have the right to go down, they also have the right to stay up, which Torres did. His left leg gave way when his right leg was clipped - figure that one out.

I think Clattenburg booked Torres because he thought there was no contact, that wasn't the case but it didn't mean the decision was wrong either.

Like most Chelsea v United games today was just a catalogue of refereeing curiosities for both sides.

So the next time a Utd player is clipped and goes to ground when they could have stayed on their feet, you'd be fine with them getting booked? I doubt it some how.

As above, officials need to start giving decisions based on the challenge not the reaction. Until they do so, all they're doing is encouraging diving and imo players are well within their rights to go to ground.

Soldato

it's difficult to find fault in that post.

The game would lose a certain magic with every decision being up for debate at the time (imo).

Perhaps like you suggest it would make the game a tad more honest, and the theatrics reduced so reducing "injury time". It still would extend match time though I think.

However, I would prefer goal line tech.

Trial that and see how it goes...

Soldato
How do you follow it? Just the games on ESPN each week? Also who do you support or just follow the sport?

Usually watch College Game Day and at least one game per week on ESPN America plus the Weekly review on Monday nights. I have followed the Gators for a few years since Tebow was in the team.

What got me into it was being out in Orlando over Xmas and New Year a few years back. The run up to the big bowl games is really something special with the fans from both teams in whichever bowl game really painting the town their colours for a few days before the game. It's really good fun

Back
Top Bottom