Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [27 - 28th October 2012]

Soldato
Anywhere else on the pitch I'd agree; but in front of goal, a red is deservied.

I think much more focus(MUCH more) should be placed on intent. A player going in recklessly should be harshly punished, but sending offs for mis-timing challenges/clipping players like Ivanovic did there I think is incredibly harsh.

Caporegime
The more I watch American sports like the NFL & NBA, the more I appreciate the officiating in those sports. They do get it wrong sometimes, but major decisions are almost always looked at.

Ref totally ruined that game.

Yep NFL much easier to watch as when you lose it is almost always down to the two teams and not the refs

Soldato
untitled-64lfpx.gif

That's a poor angle and not in slow motion, if you watch the replay in the game the contact looks much clearer.

MW

Soldato
I suppose it should fill Chelsea with some confidence that even being forced down to 9 men, United were only able to scrape a win.

The only thing consistent in these matches if the refereeing. Consistently shocking. There were plenty of 'fouls' on either side that either went unpunished, were just wrong or weren't fouls in the beginning. It's quite clear, though, from observation, that one team tends to be on the receiving end of the poor refereeing while the other benefits from it. That of course can just be attributed to the poor refereeing itself.

It would be nice to see someone make a stand and say something about it publicly, but you get fined for talking about referees and decisions these days - which is stupid.

Always exciting games, but that doesn't make up for what is lost in fair play. As I mentioned earlier, Chelsea need to put it behind them, and just focus on winning their remaining games, they're still in a strong league position.

Soldato
I'd watch it but no reliable way to follow a team with something like gamepass

Shame that dude, I have been following NFL since '84 and kind of fall in and out of love with it. College football is immense though. Much to Mrs L disgust, I can usually plan my Saturday out for Football in the morning with a late kick off, home for lunch and then College Day about 2.30 followed by two games. Switched the Gators game off at 12.30 last night.

Soldato
There was contact, but it was minimal and it was so easy for Torres to continue is run (Doesn't even look to effect his balance let alone move his trailing leg) so it was a lot of simulation and he did dive to go down there is no way you can say that the contact was enough to take a player down - which is what I think referees and the FA are trying to clamp down on.

Didn't help that Torres was past Evans when he went down, if this was Suarez people would be going mental at him, my 2p.

Soldato
There was contact, but it was minimal and it was so easy for Torres to continue is run (Doesn't even look to effect his balance let alone move his trailing leg) so it was a lot of simulation and he did dive to go down there is no way you can say that the contact was enough to take a player down - which is what I think referees and the FA are trying to clamp down on.

Fair enough. But the point is that Ashley Young dived on the other side of the pitch not 6 minutes earlier and yet Ivanovic gets a red card? People want consistency, if it's a red card for one, it has to be a red card for another. You can't pick and choose unless you want the PL to become like WWE.

Associate
Fair enough. But the point is that Ashley Young dived on the other side of the pitch not 6 minutes earlier and yet Ivanovic gets a red card? People want consistency, if it's a red card for one, it has to be a red card for another. You can't pick and choose unless you want the PL to become like WWE.
You know it doesn't work that way. Think back to the Shelvey and Evans incident.

Soldato

Eh? Diving isn't a red card offence.

Associate

Exactly this, and there was a bit earlier in the game (think it was oscar?) who was fouled, and kept to his feet and wasn't rewarded by getting a FK. If refs and the FA want to stamp it out, grow a set and start giving fouls for people staying on there feet, but now players feel they have to go down to get the FK/Pen whatever. So that gives people room to dive to con refeeres.

They have brought all the diving crap on themselves, if a player can do it to seek an advantage for his team, why wouldn't they? If the ref books Evans, he gets sent off, bringing it back to 10v10. We need consistency from refs, and sadly we aren't getting it.

Caporegime
Crap ref ruined the game pretty much, and I can't help think that a 30 second replay of video wouldn't have slowed the game down, and would have gotten the right decision with almost every major decision this weekend. Arsenal's offside goal, Utd's offside goal, Torres sending off.

What I assume is that Torres now can't appeal because its a second yellow card, still a completely insane rule, someone completely guilty but happens to think they weren't can appeal a straight red no matter how bad and obvious the tackle, but a guy who was fouled and gets sent off incorrectly can't appeal because its a second yellow.

Better replays show he raked down his shin and caught the foot also, did he make a meal of it, maybe, maybe not. Once your leg is touched and you don't think you can bring your leg around, you protect yourself going down, did he do that, or intentionally make a meal of it, very hard to know.

When people want to(usually because its an opposition player) they disregard how VERY easy it is to be unbalanced by a minor touch when moving at speed. I've seen a replay from behind the ref but its not very close and very hard to judge what was really seen from as close as the ref was. Evan's reaction should pretty much have told him everything though, Evan's looked like he was crapping himself about maybe getting a red, he knew there was contact, it was written all over his face there was contact.

Football won't be "fair" till we get video replays, till then its a crapshoot if the ref has a good or bad game, and when they are having a good game, its still a crapshoot if he see's a particular tackle from a particular angle.

Back
Top Bottom