Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [27 - 28th October 2012]

Good refereeing would have been to just play on, wave him up to his feet and talk to him at the next break in play.

Or... maybe we need a few sendings off for diving. Perhaps the message will be received by the players/managers that way, and it will be dealt with internally rather than the current "well it happens" attitude.

If it was even a bit of a 'dive' it's still a dive no? You can't moan about diving and then only punish 'some' dives, they all should be booked or none?

That's just me playing devils advocate here, we want consistency from the referee's, or consistent good decisions, so they need to book all dives or none?

If it was a dive, free kick to United and yellow card. If it wasn't a dive, free kick Chelsea (and maybe a yellow for Evans)

Best post of a **** thread.

People want diving punished but only selectively. Clatternburg did the right thing, book all divers, book all embellished or whatever nice ring you want to put on it and it will stop. Otherwise we get the same stuff every week.

In reality they should have a panel who looks at this stuff at the end of the weekend, if someone dives and it can be agreed upon slap a hefty ban on them.

We need to either deal with the issue seriously and uniformly to stamp it out, or keep going half arsed like we are now and continue to have stuff like this wrecking game after game, week after week.

Good refereeing would have been to just play on, wave him up to his feet and talk to him at the next break in play.

Then book him for diving?

I don't get it, people complain about diving and want it eradicated, but then are arguing against booking a player for diving. Booking players for diving is a pretty simple way to help clamp down on it.

I'm not saying if I agree or disagree with the decision, I'm just commenting on what people have been saying.

Surely it's possible to say it was nothing, and wave on play? Meaning it wasn't a foul which was deemed a yellow card offence committed by Evans, nor was it a dive worthy of a yellow by Torres (as there was legit contact, etc).

If that had happened (not saying it should or shouldn't have), it wouldn't have been a big talking point though. It's only a big talking point because a referee had the confidence to send a player off for diving.

Then book him for diving?

No I think I would have just told him that his next infraction would see him off.

It would be no different from talking to someone already on a yellow who then goes on to do a challenge that's a bit dodgy and getting told its his last chance.

Lol Gerrard...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20135129

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has likened Everton to Stoke, claiming their rivals used long-ball tactics during Sunday's Merseyside derby.

The Premier League match at Goodison Park ended 2-2 after Luis Suarez's late 'goal' for Liverpool was ruled out.

Gerrard, 32, said: "Every single time they get the ball to the goalkeeper it comes in long.

"There was only one team who came to play football and that was us. Everton are not better than us."

The statistics, however, showed that Everton enjoyed greater possession, made more passes and completed proportionally fewer long passes than Liverpool.

Gerrard added: "I thought we were fantastic and stood up to a team that are very similar to Stoke.

"Everton are effective because they have some big, physical lads in the team. We had a young, small team out there who were men and stuck together."

The draw lifted Everton to fifth in the table. They are seven places and six points ahead of Liverpool.

Just made himself look a pretty silly with that hasn't he. More possession, more completed passes, greater passing accuracy, less long ball passes etc ... makes you wonder if he's been put up to it by the clubs PR? He usually is one to give an honest and true assessment of how they've played or England when he's captained them. Weird. :confused:

Find confusing how people can say the contact in the torres case was minimal and not a foul but in the liverpool v man utd game the penalty given was minimal too but its foul.

It was a foul.

It was also a dive, or play acting, whatever you want to call it from Torres.

I think the correct decision would probably be to give both of them a yellow card really.

The foul from Evans deserved a yellow, nothing more really because Torres had lost the ball anyway before the foul due to the weight of the touch/pass making it run away from him.

The yellow for Torres was all about the dive/play acting really. I do think it was a bit harsh though, but if we're going to try to rid the game of it then it has to be done.

If United win the league this year (and I don't think they will), I hope it's by more than 3 points, otherwise we'll never hear the end of this :D

Not Clattenburg??

After his first half performance? Not a chance :p

If United win the league this year (and I don't think they will), I hope it's by more than 3 points, otherwise we'll never hear the end of this :D

Right now I'd say it's very hard to pick the eventually champions, I suspect City will come good sooner or later and in theory our main weakness (defence) should be a lot better when Vidic, Smalling and Jones all come back so I think the title will stay in Manchester just hard to call whether it stays at Eastlands or comes home to OT....

Last edited:

Funniest thing is that Gerrard was proven to be talking complete bs. The stats show that Everton played a smaller proportion of long passes, had more possession, completed more passes, and had a better pass completion percentage. In other words, Gerrard is talking out of his arse. You'd have to be a nutter to try to argue that Everton have played some really nice football this year, particularly down the left wing with Baines and Pienaar.

Except it isn't really just about three points

I'd say Gerrard is fairly bitter something Everton should understand well, after Everton getting a goal from s throw in which was ours and the blatant bias the linesman showed for our winner, literally never seen a linesman bottle it so hard.

That said Everton have looked very good and fun to watch at times this season but I can understand Stevies outrage with afromans consistent fouling of Allen or how Mirallas got on.

Doesn't matter Everton aren't stoke and Gerrard is clearly angry, not sure why anyone is surprised. Nice to see our captain finally trying to protect our players on the field and having a go at the disgusting refereeing off it

I'd say Gerrard is fairly bitter something Everton should understand well, after Everton getting a goal from s throw in which was ours and the blatant bias the linesman showed for our winner, literally never seen a linesman bottle it so hard.

Come see some Saints games, most of the linesmen at St Marys have been getting things horribly wrong all season, its getting depressing watching throwins and corners just going the wrong way consistently.

We just assumed it was a welcome to the premier league thing where you just have to suffer a few seasons of linesmen who get it wrong consistently for the fun of it before things sort them selves out (and we get rugby style reviews for every last thing because linesmen don't like being right)...

Back
Top Bottom