Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [30th Dec 2011 - 4th Jan 2012]

Caporegime
Not sure how much communication can come in to play on the third, it was such a poor decision from Jones. What he was doing trying to head that I will never know.

Maybe Van Der Sar will come out of retirement and save their bacon.

Well Lindegaard came over to collect it and clearly Jones didn't know and tried to head it back to Lindegaard. So either Lindegaard made the call and Jones didn't hear it, or there was no call.

Don
Well Lindegaard came over to collect it and clearly Jones didn't know and tried to head it back to Lindegaard. So either Lindegaard made the call and Jones didn't hear it, or there was no call.

Jones just walks off though, you'd of thought he'd have a go at Lindegaard or something for not coming to collect the ball, so it seems the keeper probably did shout and Jones made the mistake.

Soldato
There was a dodgy kick and punch in the game as well that fortunately we weren't punished for. I don't think he looked any better than De Gea last night.

Nor do I. The thing with Lindegaard is he's previously come into the team with no pressure knowing he's just in the team for one game while De Gea is rested/given a break

Last night was the first time he's come in off the back of De Gea being dropped due to a poor game and arguably given the chance to become number 1 and while he didn't really do anything wrong for me he didn't look as good/assured as he has in his previous games

Even if he makes another howler I hope De Gea is back in goals for Sunday as he looks the better prospect to me

Associate
Guess defenders are taught differently these days. In my opinion that ball should have been hoofed into touch, if there was any doubt in Jones mind he should have hoofed it. Can't really blame Lindegaard for that.

Caporegime
Jones just walks off though, you'd of thought he'd have a go at Lindegaard or something for not coming to collect the ball, so it seems the keeper probably did shout and Jones made the mistake.

Possibly, or maybe they'd just given up at that point, there was no way we were coming back from 2-0 anyway.

Caporegime
No doubt, But still got to admit they have an awful lot of injuries, not that I think Fergie has got it right, lots of players being played out of position and all that jazz.

Everyone has injuries and the problem with Utd is their first team as well as their backup, what is key is that their first team central midfield isn't good enough. Cleverley looks like he has a very bright future and for me was fantastic in this first games he played before he got injured, no one else in midfield that you have is worthy of being in a title winning team, the rest of the team against a VERY weak league has carried them for years. With real competition they can't be carried any more.

When the problem is with your first team, and EVERY team in the league gets injuries, City haven't had many, Spurs, Arsenal, Pool also have to varying degrees.

Evra isn't good enough and hasn't been for two years, Anderson, Carrick, Park, Giggs aren't remotely good enough for central midfield in a team wanting to win a league against City or beat Barca in the CL, ignore injuries, there are still massive problems.

That is before you get to the, for me, decline in quality of Rio and his lack of any ability to stay fit and Vidic....... I still can't name another CB widely regarded as world class, who has to resort to so many rugby tackles, who SHOULD be red carded more than almost any other CB in the league for such tackles and is a generally reckless, pace lacking twit. Also I simply don't rate the twins defensively, reckless, whiney whinging diving cheats frankly.

Drunken master, just no. Name some other top 6 keepers who get dropped every third or fourth game due to repeated mistakes. i don't expect a keeper to save everything i just hope he doesn't attack low crosses with his legs kicking the ball straight to a basel forward.

and sure lindegaard could have possibly a stronger wrist but that's not as catastrophic as failing to deal with crosses and getting 5 holed repeatedly.

Yeah, except, name a keeper who gets more saves per game....... I can't name one. Friedal has made more actual saves, 74 in 19 games, but De Gea has made more saves per game, at 56 in 14 games.

I'll give you a hint, most of the "top" keepers in the league have made a similar amount of even less saves in 30-40% more games. There is only so much blame you can put on the keeper when he is pulling off more saves than every other keeper in the league. The problem is the number of shots Utd are allowing on the goal, not the goalkeeper.

Soldato
No team more than spurs gave utd to much respect.

I still expect utd to beat us, As I do with every team, Im not used to winning.
I think us just strengthening in every area has seen us leap frog teams that have tried to spend big and failed (Liverpool) rest on what they had (UTD) and then Arsenal with Wenger just getting it wrong imo, They could be such a force but he is to stubborn.

i now expect us to win every game, apart from utd and city. though after the recent utd performances, they're there for the taking, wish we were playing them next!

our team is brimming with confidence, bale, especially in his free role (a bit too confident imo, needs to pass more and shoot a bit less)

utd have a big problem with rooney atm, most of the team look to him for guidance and last night he looked very uninterested.

Caporegime
Think we are due to break even this April without taking transfers into account. New 2 year shirt deals with virgin and puma have been signed this season. When he took over Newcastle had a long deals with the money already spent.

When Mike bought the club I believe he give Newcastle an interest free loan to pay off the 80million loan we already had which the interest was killing us. Not to mention us still owning a lot of money on unpaid transfer fee's

After the whole Dennis Wise blip he has really put the club back on the right track.

Where the Newcastle board are failing is their communication with the fans. There is none.

I know there will be players Wise got wrong, but I can't remember which ones, there was that Spanish youngster(spanish?) who was highly rated but came to nothing in England. However wasn't wise responsible for ditching Milner for 15mil and bringing in Guti for 2.5mil........ that still stands as one of the best pieces of business in the league in years.... with one of the only obviously better ones being Ba :p

AFAIK the news was that Newcastle is due to break even, but a profitable club is a healthy one, one that breaks even, assumes safety and spends recklessly..... is probably one with Fat Sam as the manager :p

if Newcastle can establish themselves for another year or two, turn a small profit, they seem to have got rid of one more expensive flop in Smith finally, and bring in another couple players honestly they'll be set for a long and healthy premiership future again.

Remember that clubs can even earn interest on the cash in club owned bank accounts, its why most of the top clubs fill up a good 100-150mil in the bank to further have another 5-10mil a year in interest coming in, every little helps.

Newcastle really should for safety, couple years, maybe cashing in on a couple players if you get silly offers, bit of scratch in the bank, then push on up.

Shirt deal for a club newly back in the prem and having done not much, and sponsorship will be pretty vastly different to what they can get if they become an established for a few years top 6 side. Cashley is still afterall bankrolling Newcastle with his own sponsorship money for the stadium deal, if they can get a "real" sponsor all the better.

The majority of clubs that try to overspend their way up tables fail, the only one that don't are those with epically rich pockets backing them.

It's really just a shame for Newcastle that Fat Sam lumped them with so many long term stupid stupid wage players, even if they'd still gone down they'd be hugely better off and with much more money already to spend without spending on Smith/Viduka/Geremi and the likes.

Soldato
Indeed why its only short term deals for sponsorship atm

70k a week smith is still here for 6 more months. That alone will allow two more players in our new system.

Wise was replaced by well respected Graeme Carr, not looked back since.

Soldato
We don't know what the communication situation was for the third goal, it could quite possibly be Lindegaards fault if he didn't call for it.

There was a dodgy kick and punch in the game as well that fortunately we weren't punished for. I don't think he looked any better than De Gea last night.

considering how solid Lindegaard's been until now - it could also be the blustery nature of the game which wasnt judged - so not directly comparable to Blackburn game for example imo

Impossible to know if either will be a decent permanent No 1, but its too early for either to say they arent either

Caporegime
Anyone seen the evra video in the sun?

Seems to be being used to call him a hypocrit, though I fail to see where. Firstly, he wasn't saying it to insult anyone, just as a word, second, he didn't use it on the pitch, thirdly, somehow comes across as further bitter from a sun writer who is obviously a Liverpool fan :p

The simple fact is, as always that no one thinks Suarez is racist, that no one has said you can't say the N word, just that part of the rules of football, a game, that everyone involved signed contracts to abide by the rules of....... says you can't say it, hence, ban.

EDIT:- reading through some of the retarded comments there is a very good one, for those calling for a ban(because some people are that stupid) because he used the N word, banning Evra would likely help Utd, not hurt them :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Indeed why its only short term deals for sponsorship atm

70k a week smith is still here for 6 more months. That alone will allow two more players in our new system.

Wise was replaced by well respected Graeme Carr, not looked back since.

Ouch, if its 70k, then just ouch. But I really can't think you can blame Wise for the signings that put huge wage burden's on the club(I'm unsure of timeline and which of those players signed before Cashley was in charge, which were signed after and which were Wise's choice anyway.

As for Carr, keep seeing it said how brilliant he is, to find Tiote, and Cabaye amongst others.

Sorry but he hasn't signed a single unknown youngster, Ba, Tiote, Cabaye were all known. Tiote less known to most of us and Cabaye somewhere in between, but there is a difference between spotting some 16 year old kid in some reserve match you watch from the terrace in some 3rd world country where a riot is going on around you and plucking a gem from basically no where and, when you're paid to, watch more french and dutch footie games on tv than your average person who doesn't get paid to watch football.

good buys, sure, but not players most scouts shouldn't be looking at. Realistically what you might think is, if Carr helped newcastle sign such obviously good players that take about half a day to "find" then what the hell were Utd/Arsenal/Chelsea/Spurs scouts doing.

Could Arsenal do with a cheap striker, central midfielder or two? Instead of getting Cabaye, no offence but given the choice of Arsenal and Newcastle its a pretty obvious choice, we waited till the dying minutes and spent a lot more on Arteta, old, not as good, and on a higher wage..... fail.

The only team that likely couldn't be improved by a Tiote/Cabaye midfield pair is City, even then in terms of financials City might prefer those two rather than 250k a week Toure who still looks incapable of running for 90 minutes :p

Soldato
Think there is more to Carr's job than just spotting Talent. I see him spending a lot of time in others countries like France, Holland making contacts and agents, finding who is available then watching them very closely to see if they are suitable or not. I know he was the main driving force to try and get Tiote signed when no other club was interested. It's said he watched Cabaye more than 15times. He got a tip off about the buyout clause in his contact.

I believe he is trying to push Newcastle into buying Jan Vertonghen. He's pretty much a household name in Holland.

Here's a quote from Carr

We won’t just watch a player once. With someone like Cheik Tiote, it was the result of four years watching him,

I’d first seen him playing for Roda against Arsenal in 2006 — they were hammered 4-0 I think, but you could tell he was going to be a good player. He never stopped running
I’ve been *watching Cabaye since he was 18. I liked him so much I asked Chris Hughton to come along with me when he was boss to watch him. But the asking price by Lille was then £10m, which was out of our reach.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom