Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [31st August - 1st September 2019]

Associate
Dermot Gallagher's explanation of Villa's disallowed goal and VAR below. Basically as soon as the ref believed that Grealish dived he has to make the decision there and then, rather than allow play to continue and refer back to the incident, as VAR cannot be used to make a decision on the dive. VAR would have only checked for an offside or foul by a Villa player in the build-up to the goal, therefore had Grealish been guilty of diving, VAR wouldn't have disallowed the goal.

Interesting - what's the actual rule for diving if play continues? 9 times out of 10 when you see a dive it's when the ball goes out of play for a goal kick, so it's not something I'd ever really considered much before. But I don't see why the ref needs to blow the whistle as soon as he thinks it's a dive? If the player who he thinks has dived doesn't impede anyone, why can't he just let play continue and then book the player that dived when play stops naturally? Like they do when they play advantage for a foul.

Don
Interesting - what's the actual rule for diving if play continues? 9 times out of 10 when you see a dive it's when the ball goes out of play for a goal kick, so it's not something I'd ever really considered much before. But I don't see why the ref needs to blow the whistle as soon as he thinks it's a dive? If the player who he thinks has dived doesn't impede anyone, why can't he just let play continue and then book the player that dived when play stops naturally? Like they do when they play advantage for a foul.
I'm not sure you can compare it to playing an advantage because it's a Villa player committing an offence (at least in the refs eyes) and the ball went to another Villa player. If somebody committs an offence you can't play on if their side remains in possession, regardless of whether the offence has influenced anything.

The only thing I cannot understand is why a dive would be treated any different to a regular foul. For instance had Grealish tripped a Palace player, the ball went to the other Villa player who then scores, then the goal would have been ruled out by VAR. However, according to Gallagher, VAR wouldn't have looked at the diving situation so had Grealish been guilty of diving then the goal would have still stood.

It's clear the ref's made a mistake but in a strange way I'm glad that he was brave enough to make the call because I think we're going to see a lot of lazy/scared officiating thanks to VAR where refs/lino's aren't going to make any decision and just leave it to VAR, which as we've seen won't overturn anything that's not a massive mistake. Lino's not giving offsides is already *****ing me off and it's only a matter of time where a side scores from a corner that was a result of an offside attack that wasn't flagged because of VAR.

Caporegime
It seems to me the best thing to do would be to just let play continue and book Grealish after the ball has gone out of play? can he not play advantage in such a situation? Grealish had already passed the ball so it was an off the ball incident really.

Don
It seems to me the best thing to do would be to just let play continue and book Grealish after the ball has gone out of play? can he not play advantage in such a situation? Grealish had already passed the ball so it was an off the ball incident really.
Again, how is it an advantage to Palace when the ball has gone to a Villa player? If the ref thinks Grealish has dived then he's got to stop play unless he thinks it's an advantage to Palace.

It's probably worth saying that VAR didn't effect this decision. The exact same outcome would have been reached without VAR but it just confuses the situation.

Caporegime
I don't know it's a tough one but Grealish looked off balance from the initial contact, is it not then a foul rather than a booking for simulation? if it was reviewed by VAR could it not have been argued that Grealish was fouled and had the referee let play go on then it was to Villa's advantage? his dive at the end was rather pathetic but I think it's clear that he was knocked off balance.

I just think some common sense is needed, assuming it wasn't a foul and he did dive it still had no real bearing on the outcome. Had he stayed on his feet and not gone down so dramatically it was a perfectly good goal.

Last edited:
Don
I don't know it's a tough one but Grealish looked off balance from the initial contact, is it not then a foul rather than a booking for simulation? if it was reviewed by VAR could it not have been argued that Grealish was fouled and had the referee let play go on then it was to Villa's advantage? his dive at the end was rather pathetic but I think it's clear that he was knocked off balance.

I just think some common sense is needed, assuming it wasn't a foul and he did dive it still had no real bearing on the outcome. Had he stayed on his feet and not gone down so dramatically it was a perfectly good goal.
It probably was a foul on Grealish, the issue is the ref thought it was a dive and as the laws are now, he has to then make the decision on the spot. He couldn't wait and allow VAR to go back determine whether it was a dive or not. I have no idea why that's the case and it does seem a bit strange that VAR will check for an offside or any other kind of foul in the build-up to a goal but cannot make a decision on simulation. What makes it even more confusing is that once the ref did give the free-kick for a dive, VAR would have looked at the incident to decide whether it was a penalty or whether to stick with the refs decision. As above, without VAR the same outcome would have been reached but VAR just confuses things with nobody knowing when, why or how VAR will or won't be used.

Regarding the 2nd part of your post. Whether it had any influence on the goal or not isn't relevant - as soon as the ref believed Grealish dived he can't allow play to continue unless the advantage was to Palace.

Caporegime
So the 15 man shortlist has been announced for the FIFPro world 11 forwards category. I’m absolutely bemused as to how Auba has been left out. He shared the golden boot (mane and Salah are in it), he scored 31 goals, scored more goals than 11 of the 15 nominees and only Messi, Lewa, Mbappe and Aguero scored more.

Did they literally just forget about him or am I missing something here?

Permabanned
So the 15 man shortlist has been announced for the FIFPro world 11 forwards category. I’m absolutely bemused as to how Auba has been left out. He shared the golden boot (mane and Salah are in it), he scored 31 goals, scored more goals than 11 of the 15 nominees and only Messi, Lewa, Mbappe and Aguero scored more.

Did they literally just forget about him or am I missing something here?

Half his goals were against pub teams in the Europa league.

Caporegime
Half his goals were against pub teams in the Europa league.
That’s a ridiculously poor argument as many of the goals scored by strikers are against poor sides. Most of la Liga are virtual pub sides compared to Barca, Real and AM.

And as Auba was a golden boot winner, it shows the vast majority were against premier league sides. 22 of them in fact.

Permabanned
That’s a ridiculously poor argument as many of the goals scored by strikers are against poor sides. Most of la Liga are virtual pub sides compared to Barca, Real and AM.

And as Auba was a golden boot winner, it shows the vast majority were against premier league sides. 22 of them in fact.

Bantz. I dunno, maybe silverware/league position a factor. Who votes for it?

Soldato
Incidentally, out of Liverpool’s midfield, who do you think deserves to be in there, Fabinho?

To me, Liverpool seem to be all about that front 3.

You dont get to 97 points, lose once in the league all season and win the champions league with just a front "three". If that was the case then Van Dijk wouldnt be about to win a Ballon Dor. How many of the front three played in the second leg vs Barca?

One.

Gini, Henderson and Fabinho could easily be on the list.

Liverpool dont have a midfield that excites. They were all quietly excellent all season which enables the front 3 to do their business.

Look at the list :

Midfielders (15)
Sergio Busquets (ESP) - FC Barcelona
Casemiro (BRA) - Real Madrid
Kevin de Bruyne (BEL) - Manchester City
Frenkie de Jong (NED) - Ajax / FC Barcelona
Christian Eriksen (DEN) - Tottenham Hotspur
Eden Hazard (BEL) - Chelsea FC / Real Madrid
N'Golo Kante (FRA) - Chelsea FC
Toni Kroos (GER) - Real Madrid
Arthur Melo (BRA) - FC Barcelona
Luka Modric (CRO) - Real Madrid
Paul Pogba (FRA) - Manchester United
Ivan Rakitic (CRO) - FC Barcelona
Bernardo Silva (POR) - Manchester City
Dusan Tadic (SRB) - Ajax
Arturo Vidal (CHI) - FC Barcelona

Kante
Kroos
Busquets
Vidal
Casemiro
Modric
Kevin De Bruyne
Casemiro
Pogba

I mean...come on. Are they joking? Any Liverpool midfielder could be above the above names and its barely an argument. Its a load of garbage basically.

Associate
These lists are virtually meaningless really. They are always overly biased towards the top echelon clubs, particularly Barcelona and Real Madrid, irrespective of performance (see Real Madrid). Look at the midfield list, where a player who isn't even a first choice for Barca makes the grade.

In Auba's case, we won nothing and we are not high profile enough compared to the glory clubs, even though he would be deserving of replacing half the forwards named. There are a number of players who could feel aggrieved at missing out: Ziyech a prime example.

Back
Top Bottom