Greta Thunberg

Soldato
She must have been listening to Armin van Buuren's "Blah Blah Blah" song.

Seriously though, these middle to upper class people seem to love being humiliated.

I can't blame Greta for doing what shes doing. She is who she is, and is obviously passionate about climate change. But she's being used by these people.

Soldato
I get the whole 'but China' argument when talking about CO2 emissions but frankly it's just just spinning a number to suit your own narrative.

China may have one of the biggest emissions output as a country but they also have by far the largest population. Given we are measuring the CO2 output of what is produced by people, its a surprise to no one that a relatively advanced economy with the biggest population has the biggest total output. They are also the wests factory which produces a significant amount of what the west consumes at this point. Bring that manufacturing back to the UK and see what happens to our own emissions (setting aside we don't actually have the people to work in said factories).

However a more relevant measure is one that is adjusted for population size, for example emissions per capita. While there a wide number of sources for emissions per capita, in the ones I have seen, China are not even in the top 30. Most of them put the oil producing countries in the middle east, followed by the USA, Canada, Australia, a few European countries including Germany, Korea, Japan, small countries not worth mentioning before you get to China.

For context, the USA is nearly twice China and we are about 20% lower than China. India's emissions per capita is about 1/3rd of ours so can we put that one to bed already?

We generally fair quite well because of our relatively (compared to a lot of countries) clean electricity grid but its possible for others to catch up with that really quite quickly.

Soldato
I get the whole 'but China' argument when talking about CO2 emissions but frankly it's just just spinning a number to suit your own narrative.

China may have one of the biggest emissions output as a country but they also have by far the largest population. Given we are measuring the CO2 output of what is produced by people, its a surprise to no one that a relatively advanced economy with the biggest population has the biggest total output. They are also the wests factory which produces a significant amount of what the west consumes at this point. Bring that manufacturing back to the UK and see what happens to our own emissions (setting aside we don't actually have the people to work in said factories).

However a more relevant measure is one that is adjusted for population size, for example emissions per capita. While there a wide number of sources for emissions per capita, in the ones I have seen, China are not even in the top 30. Most of them put the oil producing countries in the middle east, followed by the USA, Canada, Australia, a few European countries including Germany, Korea, Japan, small countries not worth mentioning before you get to China.

For context, the USA is nearly twice China and we are about 20% lower than China. India's emissions per capita is about 1/3rd of ours so can we put that one to bed already?

We generally fair quite well because of our relatively (compared to a lot of countries) clean electricity grid but its possible for others to catch up with that really quite quickly.

I do my bit but I'm sick of her complaints and no solutions, she just comes across as a whiney child or a future Karen from hell.

Soldato
If your goal is to reduce the total volume of emissions being emitted into the atmosphere then emissions per capita is not really useful. If some tiny country (luxembourg) is contributing 0.03% to global emissions but topping the CO2 per capita chart it's not going to make a noticeable impact if they cut their emissions in half.

Soldato
If your goal is to reduce the total volume of emissions being emitted into the atmosphere then emissions per capita is not really useful. If some tiny country (luxembourg) is contributing 0.03% to global emissions but topping the CO2 per capita chart it's not going to make a noticeable impact if they cut their emission in half.

While true, the point is that could lead by example with others in Europe and pressure the likes of the USA and Canada into doing the right thing. Particularly if they take the rest of Europe with them and lets be realistic, most of the power players in Europe are very much on the train already. Soft power and diplomacy is a real thing and it can have huge impacts. It's exactly what we are trying to do at COP26, the whole point of that conference is to put significant pressure on the USA, Canada, Australia and, yes, China too.

Soldato
She's just become a parody of herself still trying to use language of a young girl, but should be speaking in a more adult way.

There doesn’t seem to be any joy or normalcy in the girl. She just looks like she’s permanently got the hump.
watch spitting image- shes portrayed as in competition with Malala , whose one up on nobel prizes, and popularity at the university they are both just joining.

Caporegime
While true, the point is that could lead by example with others in Europe and pressure the likes of the USA and Canada into doing the right thing. Particularly if they take the rest of Europe with them and lets be realistic, most of the power players in Europe are very much on the train already. Soft power and diplomacy is a real thing and it can have huge impacts. It's exactly what we are trying to do at COP26, the whole point of that conference is to put significant pressure on the USA, Canada, Australia and, yes, China too.

I wonder what the legality/fallout of constantly increasing co2 based import duties would be.

And I don't mean targeted at a country specificaly I mean universal.

So there's is a slowly increasing reason to produce more internaly and reducing shipping everywhere but also incentive to lower your emissions/increase your efficency to gain a competitive edge in exports

Soldato

Seriously though, these middle to upper class people seem to love being humiliated.

I can't blame Greta for doing what shes doing. She is who she is, and is obviously passionate about climate change. But she's being used by these people.

Who are "these people" exactly? I'm curious.

Soldato
we've forgotten her ADHD, neural diversity.

I wonder what the legality/fallout of constantly increasing co2 based import duties would be.
should be green mark on products and a proportional point of sale tax applied to sensitize the consumer, or conversely default is assume it is not green, and VAT reduction on green products.

[
prior art Trio -- Da Da Da
]

Back
Top Bottom