Greta Thunberg

Soldato
I feel sorry for her tbh, far too much worry on her mind from such a young age. I think she'll probably burn out fairly soon, have some sort of breakdown due to nothing happening.

Usually you get political in your late teens and become disillusioned in your 20's. Today's kids are already at the disillusionment stage.

She'll be a crack head living under a bridge probably.

It's hard to say unless you've studied the topic carefully and I mean both sides of the argument as I believe there are plenty of scientists who don't believe on the cause of climate change or the way it's measured.

Something doesn't add up about her though. Controlled. Swedish are a bit weird anyway.

Soldato
Although I respect the message that this girl is putting across, I think she is running a very dangerous tight rope.

The way she says things in a threatening manner kinda rubs me up the wrong way. Although I think kids that young should have a voice I'm not sure it should be heard at such a high level with such potential heard by so many is just flat out dangerous for her and her supporters.

Kids are still kids and there is a reason why they are told that they have a lot of growing up to do. Its because they do and need to create a healthy balance of experience to earn a position to be heard on this planet.

Her and most reality TV programs being forced into our faces every day by media encapsulates everything that is wrong with society these days. Let her study and then become an influence after that instead of this "kid" that will not last the grown up world she is being catapulted into right now, no matter the amount of protective advisors she has had forced on her.

Associate
This crossed my mind too, it’s so much easier to moan about stuff when you’ve got no bills to pay, no mouths to feed, just school and free time. Wait until these kids get a dose of the real world, they’ll collapse like a house of cards.

Yeah, i still keep in touch or speak to students who i met 15 or 20 years ago when they first went to our uni - most were headstrong about something.
Most now are not, it really is like that.

Not saying thats right but you have to remember than the so called people that "****** this planet" were also prob students and protesting about something years ago as well.

The world needs to come together and put huge resource into finding a technological way out of this, we can do i. Just look at the last 100 years and the leaps in our capabilities as a species.
Yet what we get is paying 5p for a tescos bag and ugly ***** windmils on every hill - something i hate as there are millions of them round here.

Man of Honour
Although I respect the message that this girl is putting across, I think she is running a very dangerous tight rope.

The way she says things in a threatening manner kinda rubs me up the wrong way. Although I think kids that young should have a voice I'm not sure it should be heard at such a high level with such potential heard by so many is just flat out dangerous for her and her supporters.

Kids are still kids and there is a reason why they are told that they have a lot of growing up to do. Its because they do and need to create a healthy balance of experience to earn a position to be heard on this planet.

Her and most reality TV programs being forced into our faces every day by media encapsulates everything that is wrong with society these days. Let her study and then become an influence after that instead of this "kid" that will not last the grown up world she is being catapulted into right now, no matter the amount of protective advisors she has had forced on her.

I have no problem with her or her message - it is the way she is leveraged to shut down debate or dissension out of hand in an either with us or against us manner. It isn't a good future for our civilisation if that kind of thing is allowed it might get us past this disaster but ultimately will contribute to our end. I'm also concerned it will inhibit her own development and understanding as she will be propelled along the path expected of her rather than free to explore and question her thinking and better grasp the bigger picture with time and understanding.

You could choose to either ignore her or debate against her

This is part of the problem though you see it on Twitter someone makes an argument against or raises a question as to something she has said or in relation to her no matter how factual and objective and you get an army ripping them to shreds, often with a lot of vitriol, from behind the shield of her being a child for daring to speak out.

Caporegime
The fact there's literally a thread is a testament to how much more useful she is than most anyone in this thread. How anyone would be so triggered by a 16 year old girl, is honestly hilarious.

Caporegime
When she goes on a lecturing tour of China I'll start to take her seriously, until then she's just another useful idiot of the radical left who want to tear down western capitalism and usher in some kind of collectivist authoritarian system under the guise of protecting the environment.

Soldato
Thread has me thinking of the almighty dump I had this morning. Truly the dark, ugly underbelly of humanity.

Thunberg is nothing short of a phenomenon. She could genuinely change the world for the better, basically single handedly. Not many people can lay claim to that sort of achievement.
You are living in a dream buddy

Associate
she's the equivalent of vegan protestors targetting Waitrose or Sainsburys. she's absolutely bursting with teen angst and rage but without any real idea of what we should be doing on a practical level - when asked she said young people should "vote or protest".
like it has been suggested go target China or India and see how far you get.
on top of that she's a weird bugger whose strings are being pulled by someone far more intelligent than she.

Soldato
I have no problem with her or her message - it is the way she is leveraged to shut down debate or dissension out of hand in an either with us or against us manner. It isn't a good future for our civilisation if that kind of thing is allowed it might get us past this disaster but ultimately will contribute to our end. I'm also concerned it will inhibit her own development and understanding as she will be propelled along the path expected of her rather than free to explore and question her thinking and better grasp the bigger picture with time and understanding.

This is part of the problem though you see it on Twitter someone makes an argument against or raises a question as to something she has said or in relation to her no matter how factual and objective and you get an army ripping them to shreds, often with a lot of vitriol, from behind the shield of her being a child for daring to speak out.
Yea I agree with that, she is very quickly swapping her childhood for the complete nonsensical argument that she cannot make a dent into. Its simply too early for the human civilisation to do this

Caporegime
Yea I agree with that, she is very quickly swapping her childhood for the complete nonsensical argument that she cannot make a dent into. Its simply too early for the human civilisation to do this

No it isn't, we literally have the power right now to end this, today, we dont because infinitely damaging growth is more valuable to selfish *****.

Caporegime
Is this one of those times you say we shouldnt take your posts seriously?
:p
50/50
Well how do you run a system based on "limitless growth" by taking away the limitless growth for 50 years to heal the world?
How can you tell China or India to stop.
Crappy little countries like Sweden and the 10 million here are so pitifully insignificant.

Caporegime
:p
50/50
Well how do you run a system based on "limitless growth" by taking away the limitless growth for 50 years to heal the world?
How can you tell China or India to stop.
Crappy little countries like Sweden and the 10 million here are so pitifully insignificant.

The global economic drag of doing nothing will wipe out global growth regardless, all the while billions suffer. And China/India is such a red herring if you want China or India to stop, you should not have bought Chinese or Indian products. Both of those countries are in significant danger from the effects of increased ocean levels and decreased/extinct fisheries.

Every second we don't realise that zero growth now is eventually growth in the future, is basically a nail in the coffin for stability.

Caporegime
The global economic drag of doing nothing will wipe out global growth regardless, all the while billions suffer. And China/India is such a red herring if you want China or India to stop, you should not have bought Chinese or Indian products.
Well that sounds like damned if you do, damned if you dont. I guess We better enjoy being the last generation on earth.

Back
Top Bottom