GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
Recall update: Phoned Toyota Hedge End to book a service + MOT, and they asked if I had received my recall letter. I said no, but they said they have started them. They wouldn't be able to do it in two weeks with my service, but said at that point, they would give me a rundown of the recall, and book it in. They advised 3 days, which is consistent with what other owners are saying. They said they wouldn't replace my spark plugs during the service, as it would be easier done when the engine is out.

On an unrelated note, I might need new tyres soon. Michelin PS4 seems popular, having been out for a while. Goodyear Eage F1 AS5 has come out recently, but no owner reviews yet. Anyone here bought the latter yet?
Blackcircles have 10% off today.

Soldato
Yea they are pretty slippy. If it's cold AND wet theres hardly any grip at all, in winter they can be pretty hairy.

Mine have been on 2 years and barely worn, but I might just swap them for some PS4s while the offer is on.

Soldato
Yea they are pretty slippy. If it's cold AND wet theres hardly any grip at all, in winter they can be pretty hairy. Mine have been on 2 years and barely worn, but I might just swap them for some PS4s while the offer is on.
Yea they are pretty slippy. If it's cold AND wet theres hardly any grip at all, in winter they can be pretty hairy. Mine have been on 2 years and barely worn, but I might just swap them for some PS4s while the offer is on.

Associate
OP
Car is booked in on the 24th June for recall now. Not going to Macclesfield anymore as they keep telling me they haven't had the training even when I know for a fact they have because they've already done an owners club members car..

Spark Plugs & Oil Filter to be changed too so I can have it as the 6 Year/60k Service.

Soldato
Car is booked in on the 24th June for recall now. Not going to Macclesfield anymore as they keep telling me they haven't had the training even when I know for a fact they have because they've already done an owners club members car..

Spark Plugs & Oil Filter to be changed too so I can have it as the 6 Year/60k Service.

Are they lending you another GT86? And are they giving you a discount for fitting the spark plugs and oil filter?

Soldato
They better loan another GT86 (or a Supra maybe :D) if it's going to be 3 days or more.

If they give me a Yaris or Aygo I AM going to do handbrake turns in it. Along with giving it back without filling it back up and turning off all those safety features :p

Associate
OP
Are they lending you another GT86? And are they giving you a discount for fitting the spark plugs and oil filter?

They haven't been given an 86 to use as a courtesy car as of yet so the people having the recall done currently are getting an Aygo unfortunately :( Fingers crossed they should have it by the time mines in for the recall though as they said they're expecting one.

£335 "discounted" for the service, still rather steep in my eyes considering it's just for 4x Spark Plugs, Brake Fluid, Oil Filter and a Pollen Filter, which I can find online all OEM apart from brake fluid which is a premium brand for:

Spark Plugs: £75
Brake Fluid: £25
Oil Filter: £12
Pollen Filter: £34 (Which they most likely wont change if it looks fine)
-------------
Total - £146

£189 for the labour and a very expensive stamp :(

They said they'll have my car for the whole week which I'm not bothered about as long as I get a courtesy car. Can confirm if it's an Aygo it's going to driven "rather spiritedly" to minimize boredom

Soldato
I guess any discount is good. And the main thing is the recall gets done perfectly.

I had an Aygo automatic when they did my back light the other month. The long pause between 1st and 2nd gear was infuriating. I think I only did about 20 miles in it.

My local dealer said they were getting in 2 86's as courtesy cars for this recall, so I would hope that I get one, they're also aware I can't drive manuals due to health reasons.

Associate
OP
I guess any discount is good. And the main thing is the recall gets done perfectly.

I had an Aygo automatic when they did my back light the other month. The long pause between 1st and 2nd gear was infuriating. I think I only did about 20 miles in it.

My local dealer said they were getting in 2 86's as courtesy cars for this recall, so I would hope that I get one, they're also aware I can't drive manuals due to health reasons.

True about the discount! Originally said £380 over the phone but I asked for it to be done cheaper so he went and checked and got back to me saying he could make it £335.

Wonder if they may get one manual and one auto 86? Either way I'm sure they'll look after you :)

I'd honestly like to try a Hilux for a week but doubt it'll happen!

Man of Honour
They haven't been given an 86 to use as a courtesy car as of yet so the people having the recall done currently are getting an Aygo unfortunately :( Fingers crossed they should have it by the time mines in for the recall though as they said they're expecting one.

£335 "discounted" for the service, still rather steep in my eyes considering it's just for 4x Spark Plugs, Brake Fluid, Oil Filter and a Pollen Filter, which I can find online all OEM apart from brake fluid which is a premium brand for:

Spark Plugs: £75
Brake Fluid: £25
Oil Filter: £12
Pollen Filter: £34 (Which they most likely wont change if it looks fine)
-------------
Total - £146

£189 for the labour and a very expensive stamp :(

They said they'll have my car for the whole week which I'm not bothered about as long as I get a courtesy car. Can confirm if it's an Aygo it's going to driven "rather spiritedly" to minimize boredom

£189 for labour really isn't that terrible when you take into account how much of a swine the plugs are to change on a BRZ/86. You're looking at a solid 2 hours for that alone because access is so terrible.

Soldato
£189 for labour really isn't that terrible when you take into account how much of a swine the plugs are to change on a BRZ/86. You're looking at a solid 2 hours for that alone because access is so terrible.

For the recall the engine is out and the sparks are accessible, which is why so many owners are opting to do the 6 year service at the same time. There is no labour swapping the plugs while the engine is out.

Soldato
Bit narked that I'd already had and paid for my 6 year service before news of this recall came about. My cars on about 75k now, but I might ask them to do the plugs anyway when I eventually get the recall letter, just to stave off the next time it has to be done until 135k.

Man of Honour
For the recall the engine is out and the sparks are accessible, which is why so many owners are opting to do the 6 year service at the same time. There is no labour swapping the plugs while the engine is out.

Good point, I had forgotten about the recall. They're also already most likely going to drain it of oil in that process too

Associate
OP
Good point, I had forgotten about the recall. They're also already most likely going to drain it of oil in that process too

Yep, takes out the cost of the oil in the service. Just they keep the oil filter the same.

Same goes for fresh coolant and an aircon re-gas which I'm happy about as saves me paying £160 to get it done (Uses the annoyingly "special" gas) before I sell up as I never use aircon.

Back
Top Bottom